SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Laser stored in Connecticut for 10 years filled with a ton of water (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/72421-laser-stored-connecticut-10-years-filled-ton-water.html)

apkaplan 02-28-2011 08:06 AM

Laser stored in Connecticut for 10 years filled with a ton of water

I live in Connecticut, USA and was looking at a laser this weekend to purchase. It was stored outside under a wooden deck, right side up (probably not the best way) for ten years !!!.

The hull is filled with a close to a thousand ponds of water, there are huge blocks of ice inside. How did all this water get inside the boat. I couldn't see any cracks. My concern is there there are some cracks that allowed water to enter the hull. Any response or comments appreciated.

TIA,

Andrew

sailingdog 02-28-2011 09:58 AM

I'd pass on the boat. If it was stored that way, chances are likely that it has some damage from ice freezing inside the boat and cracking it. It is pretty likely that you're not going to be able to see all the areas where there could be damage, and buying it is a pretty big gamble.

ftldiver 02-28-2011 12:22 PM

fwiw, I picked up a cheap (non competitive) laser last year.

boat was soft on the gunnels (where I'd sit), so I cut out 2 4" access ports in the footwell, flipped her over and added some biaxal and thickened epoxy. pretty firm now.

there are some air bags in the hull (3 I think), and the hull to deck appears to be glassed in. would be hard to separate and re glue.

what was the price?

djodenda 02-28-2011 12:28 PM

I would guess that there is a leak in the mast step. The boat was stored right side up and the water entered that way.

Just guessing...

ftldiver 02-28-2011 12:48 PM

or the 5 holes behind the toe plates leaked... when the foot well filled.

are mast step cracks common?

paul323 02-28-2011 01:23 PM

Unless it is close to free, I would pass.

If you want to check it out further, you need to drain all the water out, and check for the typical Laser problem sites - cracks in the mast step, softness on the sides of the cockpit (where you sit). That is in addition to visual inspection for cracks/holes.

Leaking through the toe plates are I guess another possibility, but from what you describe it's a lot of water. Shame - not beyond the wit of man to remove the plugs (one for the hull, the other for the cockpit) to let it stay dry!

Cracks in the mast step are a common problem; basically as you step the mast, it slides down with a crash; this puts stress on the mast step/hull connection. It is reinforced, but over the years the connection will part. Normally people cut an inspection hatch next to the mast step to gain access to the problem area, or you will see people who cut out an area around the mast step, couple of feet square, to fix it. There are many sites which will advise on this.