Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Danish Sailing Vessel taken by pirates

Drones...lots of drones with missiles for pirates home bases.
Old 05-14-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

Drones are not actually cheap, with each load of missles or bombs costing upwards of $300,000. (http://www.knowdrones.com/FAQ.pdf ) It may be cheaper to provide interdiction, as we seem to be doing, and ransoms when the situation (we hope infrequently) calls for it. People can rebuild (or buy) new boats fairly quickly after a missle strike. Knocking out all the boats - even legitimate fishing boats- how can you tell? - with drones might drive more people to piracy, once they saw that fishing still got them targeted. No easy solution here. If there were, we'd have found it by now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Paulk you're right. Was speaking off the cuff. Still think pirate boats can be tracked back to their home port and destroyed. Think if other boats in village are destroyed it would increase peer pressure to not engage in this activity. Believe the people engaged in this activity view it as having no other options while living in a failed state.But the leaders are more sociopathic and view it as a business. When it becomes economically unfavorable it will stop. One would think interdiction is also hugely expensive. Unlike the south China sea there is no functioning goverrning body who is economically harmed and has juridiction making this area more problematic.
Old 05-15-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

The Chinese, the Russians, and private security companies have been quite effective in negotiating with Somali pirates.

Like all good negotiators, they start by emphasizing areas of common interest and agreement, which usually involves the recognition by all of the effectiveness of 50 mm machine gun fire from the deck of a large ship. Then they agree on the areas of disagreement, which is whether one should allow a group of criminals to board a boat with evil intentions. Finally, they resolve their differences by dispatching all those who disagree to Davy Jones' locker.

This is not an area for Political Correctness. I don't care how hungry you are, you don't have the right to hurt other people and to trespass on their property. If you are capable of using a boat to intercept other boats, how about learning how to fish?
Old 05-15-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
The Chinese, the Russians, and private security companies have been quite effective in negotiating with Somali pirates.

Like all good negotiators, they start by emphasizing areas of common interest and agreement, which usually involves the recognition by all of the effectiveness of 50 mm machine gun fire from the deck of a large ship. Then they agree on the areas of disagreement, which is whether one should allow a group of criminals to board a boat with evil intentions. Finally, they resolve their differences by dispatching all those who disagree to Davy Jones' locker.

This is not an area for Political Correctness. I don't care how hungry you are, you don't have the right to hurt other people and to trespass on their property. If you are capable of using a boat to intercept other boats, how about learning how to fish?
Unfortunately this is not only a Somali problem. I received some months back a notice from my insurance company a notice increasing (again) the zones where my war policy was not valid. As you probably know the war policy is the only one that covers attacks with war guns and undue arrested boats by pirates or otherwise.

I give up on that insurance. The places in the world that are not covered are many, including for instance Venezuela, that has a lovely coast.

I don't think the solution is a global protection of all yachts that sail on those places (that would be impossible) but not sailing on those places. i believe that the diminution of the pirate attacks on Somali waters has to do more with that than everything else. Yachties finally understood that was very dangerous to sail those waters. I hope that a year without attacks will not leave them to think that now it is safe

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Paulo- sad but true. Beyond what you're insurance tells you also good idea to check in with feds as to where is safe. Americans seem to be juicy targets in much of the world for reasons beyond potential ransom
Old 05-16-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

I love it. Y'all are trigger happy as hell. Deploy US Military assets to clean up some one else's mess- in one breath and bitch about the cost to mount rescue efforts for vessels in distress in the next.

Go kill em yourselves. If you haven't got the stones to back that play, and I know if your American you don't- cuz your voice- the American Voice- is so incessantly vocal about loss of life in afg and Iraq. Then quit barking. And quit suggesting other people pull the trigger to make your retirement plan more convenient.

That's not ageism- it's disgust. Period. You play with fire- you get burned, practice a little self restraint and stay away from pirates.

Last edited by c. breeze; 05-16-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Somehow the war for oil was immoral- but killing for the sake of the convenience of .000000000002 percent of the population- the cruisers who will cruise the IO- is ok.

I'm embarrassed as a sailor, a GWOT veteran, and an American. What a disgrace.
Old 05-16-2013

Morild is on a distinguished road

Just in case anyone want's to know what happened to the family which is the subject of the original post, I can tell that a collection was setup by an association of sailors.
Many of us contributed, and about a year ago they were released for the ransom and came home safe.
The kids are back in school and the parents back to work. They have received a lot of help, even though this of course will mark them for the rest of their lives.

This is a recent picture of them back in Denmark.

http://multimedia.ekstrabladet.dk/ar...is_720770g.jpg
Old 05-17-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
Somehow the war for oil was immoral- but killing for the sake of the convenience of .000000000002 percent of the population- the cruisers who will cruise the IO- is ok.

I'm embarrassed as a sailor, a GWOT veteran, and an American. What a disgrace.
My friend, you should educate yourself a little before speaking so strongly. In Somalia, and elsewhere, vessels most commonly attacked by pirates are container ships, bulk carriers and tankers loaded with oil, chemicals and other products. Piracy is a very minor problem for cruisers, but it is a serious problem for international commerce.
Read more here: Piracy falls in 2012, but seas off East and West Africa remain dangerous, says IMB