Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
In another 12 months or so I will have to make the decision about which way to continue our circumnavigation either Red Sea or around South Africa. It is not an easy decision and there are lots of considerations including (but not limited to): which set of destinations is most interesting since the two sets are so different, distance, and how do you compare the pirate risk to the weather risk around the Cape (of Storms). Lots of boats do the Red Sea route but with care - travelling in convoys, having the significant naval forces in the region keep an eye on you, no lights, AIS, taking down radar reflectors, restricting radio use (heard of one convoy that switched their radios to Canadian frequencies and only talked to each other on the Canadian Coast Guard channel (not likely to be monitored by the bad guys). I agree that a blog with positions does not make much sense.
Or you can make another choice.....

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I'd like to know how many countries are patrolling these waters and how many crafts they each have... I mean, how many countries does it take to stop this crap....

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 02-28-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
I'd like to know how many countries are patrolling these waters and how many crafts they each have... I mean, how many countries does it take to stop this crap....
Piracy in Somalia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-28-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Just insane ..... children no less
Old 02-28-2011

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
When are those in power going to say enough of this piracy S#%T? With all the available world's technology, these pirates can be stopped before they leave their home port. The only good pirate is the one at the bottom of the sea.
Old 02-28-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLou View Post
When are those in power going to say enough of this piracy S#%T? With all the available world's technology, these pirates can be stopped before they leave their home port. The only good pirate is the one at the bottom of the sea.
Answering the question would take me clear into "Off Topic & Political" territory. So I shall refrain.

I will comment on the idiocy of taking children into pirate infested waters AND blogging one's position whilst your in them. I don't care why you think you can/should be able to sail waters known to be pirate infested - you don't risk children based on your ideals. I have some pretty strong ideals of my own, but I'd never in a million years risk my kids well-being.

And before people start berating me about me defending pirates or how people should be able to sail the waters without worrying about them - I am not saying anything against those concepts. I am simply pissed off at the irresponsibility of the parents risking their kids lives like that.
Old 02-28-2011

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
It's the Pirates that are to be blamed in any instance and their reach is extending.

It's appeasing attitudes that provide the moral compromise necessary to provide the bad guys the rope to continue their activities.

There is a lot of money being exchanged both by the Pirates and insurance companies. Follow the money to the real bad guys behind this it will lead to government leaders. Pirates are permitted to operate where they could easily be shut down and it's for good reason - money. The insurance companies are cleaning house and they buy politicians.

Stopping piracy is simple and you don't have to kill a single one. Simply sink their vessels when you find weapons fire or weapons on board (or video from a Helo/Drone). They simply will not have any vessels and hence cannot execute their trade. It's pretty darn simple but there is no motivation to truly stop this.
Old 02-28-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post
It's the Pirates that are to be blamed in any instance and their reach is extending.
For the kidnapping, yes. For exposing the children to the known liklihood of being kidnapped - that is the responsibility of the people sailing the boat (I am assuming the parents).

Piracy needs to be stopped, I don't disagree. Going into the "why hasn't it been stopped" and "what we should do to stop it" lines of conversation will get this thread yanked (like the other one), so I will refrain from that.

On the responsibility of captains for the well-being of their crew (especially, though not only, children) is something that I think we can discuss here. And, quite frankly, I don't think the people making the decisions in regards to sailing the waters they were kidnapped in were doing a spectacular job of that.

I cannot think of a good reason to take my kids into those waters KNOWING the risk of being boarded and held for ransom. It's not a secret what's going on over there.

Quote:
It's appeasing attitudes that provide the moral compromise necessary to provide the bad guys the rope to continue their activities.
I don't think it is "appeasement" to discuss the wisdom of taking youngsters into pirate infested waters. I think the two discussions are distinct from one another and discussing one does not imply an opinion in the other.

I personally think there is (many politically charged) reasons to deal with the pirate problem and (many politically charged) methods of doing so. I also think there are (politically charged) reasons for why it hasn't been done. My opinion on that has nothing to do with the fact that I think taking children into those waters and regularly blogging one's position is monumentally stupid.

Quote:
Stopping piracy is simple and you don't have to kill a single one. Simply sink their vessels when you find weapons fire or weapons on board (or video from a Helo/Drone). They simply will not have any vessels and hence cannot execute their trade. It's pretty darn simple but there is no motivation to truly stop this.
I WANT to answer this but cannot. If you want to get the full breadth of opinion on this issue, start a thread in the Off-Topic subforum... or (if you are feeling brave) start it in the Political subforum (where there be dragons )
Old 03-01-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
. . . which set of destinations is most interesting since the two sets are so different, distance, and how do you compare the pirate risk to the weather risk around the Cape (of Storms).
Cape of Storms got its name in the days of Bartholomew Dias when there were no charts let alone weather forecasting. The weather around the cape is nowhere near as bad as its reputation would suggest.

The more scary area is the Mozambique Channel and the Agulhas Stream but to avoid pirates one would almost obviate this formidable current. I'm not sure where your coming from but if you're stopping at Cocos or even Chagos, the next destination should be Mauritius followed by Durban or Richards Bay in South Africa. From there the weather windows are reasonably predictable even though the distance between safe havens is quite large. Hundreds of local boats do this voyage and if you harvest local knowledge the sailing can be very exhilarating. I sailed that area for the dominant part of my sailing life and never had an incident that was unmanageable.

It beats the heck out of the gauntlet you're going to run up north.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 03-01-2011

delite is on a distinguished road
You have to question anyone's actions that sails in that part of the world. I like what the Russians have done with some pirates they caught. In 1 case it is reported they tied them to the deck and then burned the ship, in another they stripped the pirate vessel of navigation equipment and extra fuel and left them.