Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011

neoxaero is on a distinguished road
I like the way Russians handle pirates.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
More news....

Pirate: Captive Danes will die if rescue attempted - Yahoo! News

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 03-01-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Well, that was to be expected I suppose. It's not really a hostage situation unless one is willing to kill/damage the hostage. I don't condone it at all, but it is not surprising.

Of note is how many people in that article thought the family idiotic for sailing the waters they did.
Old 03-01-2011
I Am, therefore I Sail

kpgraci is on a distinguished road
when I first heard of this my thoughts covered the two areas mentioned here: One stopping the pirates, and two using some common sense in what dangers you place yourself (and your family).

As far as stopping the pirates, I am confident that the US and others have sufficient satellite capabilities to monitor and detect this activity. Stopping it or at least intervening is then just a matter of desire (as in time, money, risk of military lives). While I am not an advocate of using the US military like a police force, this seems like a perfect use for a global police force.

One the second count, I was not aware of the blogging, that is amazing. I was thinking of ways to avoid pirates, even say in the Caribbean. Sails show up for a long way on the water, an obvious slow and easy target. How about some camo sails, with geometric shapes like used on warships to break up the outline? I say go stealth, and wait to publish your journal when you're safe at home port.
'73 ODay 22

If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (c. 4 BC - 65 AD)
Old 03-01-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Based on my experience, in the 3rd world children are of no consequence. And, a "child" over 13 - 14 years of age is not considered a child. In fact a child that is capable of aiming and firing a weapon isn't considered a child. The Danes will see no "mercy" for their children in that part of the world.

Frankly, while I think it would have been bad judgement to have taken the yacht into that area with adults only, having done so with children aboard--and exposing them to such danger--verges on criminal negligence.

Unfortunately, I don't think any government, or group of governments, will take any preemptive action to stop piracy until the body count, and accordingly public outrage/indignation, is great enough to force action. Until then, I doubt anything will happen to remedy the situation.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-01-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Omatako's post has me doing some research. Here's a chart showing the currents that he mentions.

Regards,
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Cape of Storms got its name in the days of Bartholomew Dias when there were no charts let alone weather forecasting. The weather around the cape is nowhere near as bad as its reputation would suggest.

The more scary area is the Mozambique Channel and the Agulhas Stream but to avoid pirates one would almost obviate this formidable current. I'm not sure where your coming from but if you're stopping at Cocos or even Chagos, the next destination should be Mauritius followed by Durban or Richards Bay in South Africa. From there the weather windows are reasonably predictable even though the distance between safe havens is quite large. Hundreds of local boats do this voyage and if you harvest local knowledge the sailing can be very exhilarating. I sailed that area for the dominant part of my sailing life and never had an incident that was unmanageable.

It beats the heck out of the gauntlet you're going to run up north.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 03-02-2011

jklewissf is on a distinguished road
We are currently in New Zealand, two years into our circumnavigation. We met the family aboard ING at a boatyard in Papeete last year. It's sad to hear what has become of them. The two boys from the boat participated in the Tahiti/Moorea sailing rendezvous aboard another Danish boat. They are very nice, soft spoken kids. I for one have absolutely no intention of sailing anywhere near Somalia. South Africa is the far more attractive route.
Old 03-02-2011

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
I have been 'stuck' in Malaysia for the last few years.
Personally I do not feel like taking the risk on any of the routes at the moment, but are in the lucky position that I may just wait and see.
On the other hand I'll not straight out condemn those who do. There are risks as soon as you set out in the oceans, one way or the other.
To me it looks like the Danish boat has taken a 'high risk' route all from the start, blog or no blog. Going by Cochin and down the Oman coast seems less risky, at least according to available info from Noonsite and others, but quite a bit longer.
The latest info I got tells af about 70 yachts waiting to cross the Indian Ocean.
I think it is time that Paul Watson and Sea Shepard stop chasing the whalers and start chasing pirates!!!
Old 03-02-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
In another 12 months or so I will have to make the decision about which way to continue our circumnavigation either Red Sea or around South Africa.
Hi,

I think you'd be nuts to go up the north Indian Ocean untill this piracy thing is sorted out.

A convoy is NOT going to make you safe! Especially if they are like the convoy I was on 12 months ago, or if they are like SlowButSteady shows in his post where the dills post their locations.
At best a convoy will allow you to be the harder target so sacrificing some other boat.

Below is a photo of our convoy with an unwelcome visitor popping in.
See how spread the convoy is?
See how sails are up thus increasing the range the convoy can be seen?
See how there is no wind?
See how easy it is for a skiff to penetrate the 'safety' of our convoy?
See inside the skiff. Is that guy holding a gun? If you have a gun do you shoot now? Or wait for him to shoot?
Who will get to you first: The Navy or the skiff?

Do you think I was a tad scared whilst taking that photo? You betcha life I was! I don't need to be that scared. I'm meant to be cruisin'

I'd much prefer to intelligently look at the Cape of Good Hope and make sure there's weather information to pass the Aghulas current when there's no storm.
Its not as tough a passage as Cape Horn. The Cape of Good Hope is the same latitude as Sydney or Cape Hatteras. Its do-able. Especially do-able with your experience.

If you want to read more about our experience going through the Indian Ocean and the Gulf of Aden theres a bit on my website ourlifeatsea.com/pirates.html

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Children now?  Pirate Content...-pirates4.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2011
I Am, therefore I Sail

kpgraci is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=MarkofSeaLife;704099]A convoy is NOT going to make you safe!/QUOTE]

wow. Great photo and a great point. I can only add that warships travel in a convoy for safety but the reason this works for them is they have tactics and fire power that each ship can bring to bear on a would be attacker.

In that photo, if each boat had a competent marksman and the approaching boat knew there was a no go zone around each craft or he will be fired upon then that may be construed as safety in numbers.

Wolves don't mind attacking a flock of sheep, that's called a target rich environment.

I think most sailors don't sail for the thrill of combat. Stay out of dangerous waters unless you have something better than a 'piracy plan', whatever the heck that is.
'73 ODay 22

If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (c. 4 BC - 65 AD)