Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Question about lifelines

Given that stanchions are relatively narrow at their base for their height, what's going to happen when a 200+ pound sailor loses balance and falls against that tall lever? Seems to me that the stanchion is going to come out of the deck no matter how well-bedded it is.

So is the real purpose of the lifeline just to give an overboard sailor something to hang on to? It sure doesn't seem as though it's going to keep him or her on board -- being tethered to a jackline will do that a lot better.

Just a random ponder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
look at the following ISAF document and search for "stanchions" to get an idea of what the design specs are. The lifelines are part of the supporting system, so the full 200lb accelerated load won't go straight across one stanchion, and if it does it will deform to absorb the energy but not break, and if it does break there are still 2 lifelines through it that can each hold a multiplie of the forces involved.

http://www2.sailing.org/offshore/200...Mu4_270607.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-28-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
True on all accounts. A lifeline is meant to act as a reminder of where the edge is and as a handhold for walking. They also keep large items on deck (e.g., sails). I recall reading that the criteria is something like 50 lbs of lateral pressure before it fails. Not much.

In reality, a properly through bolted stanchion base will probably hold the weight of a falling crew member, but the stanchion will probably fold over.

The relative fragility of stanchions is why I strongly discourage people attempting to hoist themselves onboard by grabbing the thing. My wife also has a habit of grabbing it to pull the boat in closer to the dock. I cringe when she does that but her name is on the boat, so what can I do?
Old 02-28-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
The force would be distributed to all of the stanchions by way of the lifelines. If your lifelines are attached to the bow and stern like most boats you might end up with a bent stanchion or two but you're not going to break that SS lifeline (if it's in good shape, no corrosion, etc).

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-28-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
My wife also has a habit of grabbing it to pull the boat in closer to the dock. I cringe when she does that but her name is on the boat, so what can I do?
Brace the one she grabs? Been there.

Actually, my wife has arthritis and we do make adjustments. I carry a small tackle that I use to pull the boat to the dock and to hold it steady. It goes from cleat to piling/cleat, so there is no strain. In fact, I find it very handy when I'm loading and unloading too. I have been careful to chose a loop for one end that will snap should I forget to release it and the tide changes!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 02-28-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Our stanchions are connected to the anodized toerail ( an 80s C&C design )thus little to worry about interms of rebedding the deck or having them become wobbly. It is a good design EXCEPT they tend to get hung up on pilings when docking if you are not careful. They will handle the load (since the lifeline is swaged on and adjusted correctly with adjustable barrels) of a 250 lb man easily.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-28-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Lifelines are just a reminder that you're about to go overboard. In many cases, you can't rely on them to keep you aboard, especially if they're coated with vinyl, since the stainless steel may be corroded badly beneath with no real visible signs of it. Also, on many boats, the stanchions aren't tall enough to prevent a taller person from going overboard.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-28-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The force would be distributed to all of the stanchions by way of the lifelines. If your lifelines are attached to the bow and stern like most boats you might end up with a bent stanchion or two
I forgot about that. Since the wire is attached at both ends, the stanchion can't fold completely over. The strength or the wire & fittings will stop it from happening.
Old 02-28-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Sure glad I'm on a diet--gotta' get skinny again!

Cheers,

Gary
Old 02-28-2011

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
I was told once that, when you are at sea, treat the edge of the boat like it was a 1000 foot cliff face and treat the lifelines like they had 10,000 volts on them.

Obviously neither are true, but you get the idea. The lifelines should be the last in a long line of safety layers designed to keep you on the boat.
Downeaster 38 #40