Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't forget to run the countersink bit in reverse as well. Gives you far more control over the depth of the countersinking and eliminates the risk of chipping almost completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2011

boofus is on a distinguished road
Depends on your countersink, a typical hardware store multi-flute will chatter like hell if not done just right. I agree that reverse in a "soft" material is the way to go for the most control. Using a single flute or zero flute bit typically produces much better results. Either of these types wont do much in reverse.
Old 03-18-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Drill in reverse has always worked for me with no chips
Old 03-19-2011

Redfin is on a distinguished road
I agree with MainSail. BTW HDChpper. I think you meant `brad point' bit and not a `forstner' bit. I have sometimes made up my own brad pint bits by grinding down a regular twist drill. It works. For larger holes then you have to move up to a hole (core) drill.
Old 03-19-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
Hell, I'm no expert. That said as a retired contractor, I would use green automotive tape. Apply thiis to the substrate to be drillled. Mark on your taped area the point of drilling with a grease pencil.
next, use a "Forstner bit" on SLOW speed to drill hole through the substrate.
Start with a Forstner bit pilot whole to see how ts iis going to look before going to the diamter of desired hole.
Old 03-19-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I hate to disagree with a few people, but starting with a small hole and stepping up in size is just about the worst thing you can do. Once the point of the drill is no longer pushing against the material the flutes just grab and rip a big mess. What you need to do is remove the hook from a conventional twist drill. I have attached some photos to show how this is done, using a diamond hone or stone. You need to do both flutes.

We use this to drill holes clean holes in fiberglass, polyethylene, copper and lead. I have drilled 1/2" holes through 2" of copper using a drill sharpened like this. The hole was smooth and clean, like it had been reamed.

I hope this helps,

Gary H. Lucas
Attached Thumbnails
How Do I Successfully Drill Thru Fiberglass?-1.jpg   How Do I Successfully Drill Thru Fiberglass?-2.jpg   How Do I Successfully Drill Thru Fiberglass?-3.jpg   How Do I Successfully Drill Thru Fiberglass?-4.jpg  
Old 03-19-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
The use of a brad point bit, as recommended above, is appropriate for smaller holes, whereas the Forstner bit is a larger diameter equivalent to a brad point bit. The photo shown in the Maine Sail post shows a cored deck or bulkhead, where the use of a portable drill press can be very important, particularly if you need to line up a backing plate.

It is also helpful if you start with a smaller pilot drill and then use the brad point or Forstner bit from both sides (assuming the back side is accessible) to prevent the back side from tearing out.

If your project is exposed to weather, I'd wet any coring that is exposed with epoxy and then use a proper bedding compound.
Old 03-19-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
The points, the angles, sharpening, starting in reverse, but I'd also suggest using a center punch or awl point to mark a center, so the bit doesn't wander, and starting slowly, so it gets to grab and center without skittering around any.

When all else fails, you put a trim washer over the hole, to hide the chips.
Old 03-25-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'd also suggest using a center punch or awl point to mark a center, so the bit doesn't wander, and starting slowly, so it gets to grab and center without skittering around any.
With a brad point in fiberglass this is not necessary. Today while installing a battery monitor on a customers boat I remembered to take some pics for you guys. Drilled this hole today. Measuring for it took far longer than the act of drilling..

The only reason for tape was to mark my hole center and I get holes just as clean without tape:

I then drilled a 1/4" pilot hole, the same size as my hole saws arbor drill, using a brad point drill bit:

Started in reverse with the brad point and once through the gelcoat I switch to forward:

Then I busted out one of my trusty Lennox hole saws and drilled through about half way in reverse before switching to forward:

Hole done, no chips and perfectly clean:

Just for you guys I saved the plug to show how easy this is:

The right tools and the right technique make for easy work..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-30-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.