Florida Anchoring Struggle - Next Phase - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 03-03-2011
BubbleheadMd's Avatar
Chastened
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 2,840
Thanks: 0
Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 5
BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
In this poor, economic climate, I can't believe that Florida could be so stupid as to do anything that would endanger their one of their biggest revenue generators: Tourism.

You'd think that they would welcome cruisers with open arms.

I get what Capt. Force is saying though, there has to be limits on derelict scows and the pumping of oily bilges and CHT into the local waters, but this really sounds more like rich, waterfront landowners buying out the local politicians.

Hell, even if cruisers end up dodging some of the local taxes by anchoring out, they still spend money in terms of food, fuel, parts, maybe some labor and whatever else they do in town. That still brings money into the local economic matrix.

Ah well.
__________________
S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 03-03-2011
ftldiver's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 12
ftldiver is on a distinguished road
Capt Force got it right.

in the keys most blue collar workers can't afford to live there, so many buy a cheap boat and live aboard. some are responsible, but many are not.

Efforts to remove them have not been successful so they are trying something else.

pretty much a few bad apples is spoiling it for everyone else.

I can understand why property owners and cities are upset. abandoned vessels are expensive to remove.

There has also been talks of requiring anchor permits in biscayne park...

-sorry, tourism from boaters is not a big revenue source...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 03-03-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 282
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 8
norsearayder is on a distinguished road
capt force up here in maine we also have bum boats, derilects, abandoned boats etc,the water cops are out there doing the work, and not insulting voyagers no mater what there boat looks like .there only concern is safety of the vessel, seaworthynness& illegal discharge of waste.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 03-03-2011
sailingdog's Avatar
Telstar 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 13
sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the existing laws were enforced properly, there would be little need for doing what Florida is doing. I'd point out that the "buffer zones" may well be found illegal as violating the rights of vessels in transit to anchor.
__________________
Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 03-03-2011
night0wl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,401
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 9
night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsearayder View Post
capt force up here in maine we also have bum boats, derilects, abandoned boats etc,the water cops are out there doing the work, and not insulting voyagers no mater what there boat looks like .there only concern is safety of the vessel, seaworthynness& illegal discharge of waste.
Quoted for TRUTH!

The anchoring regulations are a way for cities to get out of their JOB of enforcing regulations. If there is a blanket ban, then its easy to simply say YOU CANT ANCHOR HERE with a sign vs having to have safe, courteous waterways personnel patrolling at night looking for anchor lights and during the day conducting MSD checks.

The flip side is what is going on in Volusia where they're using raiding party tactics to board cruisers for MSD enforcement.
__________________
S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 03-03-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 199
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If the existing laws were enforced properly, there would be little need for doing what Florida is doing. I'd point out that the "buffer zones" may well be found illegal as violating the rights of vessels in transit to anchor.
I don't really know what existing laws can be used to solve the problem. Used to be each city had their own laws to solve the issue, which itself was a problem. Now the state has taken over and told the cities "You can't restrict anchoring, we own the water, we'll study the issue" which IMO is the proper thing to do.

I think the idea of allowing cities to setup mooring fields to "restrict" anchoring is a decent concept, if it's done properly. This creates revenue for the city, facilities for people using the site, can be good for tourism and eliminates the "junkyard" effect. So instead of a city posting "you can't anchor here", it forces them to develop the waterway as defined by the state for "proper" use by boaters.

But I worry that the mooring pricing will end up being absurd at some point and people passing through shouldn't be forced into using them by absurd buffer zones.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 03-03-2011
CaptainForce's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: living aboard since 1972
Posts: 1,704
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 9
CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
'just one positive note. We are currently cruising north on the central east Florida coast. We have been cruising Florida waters since 1972 and frequently anchoring. At this time we have still never been approached or questioned by any authority about our anchoring practices. We will be anchoring in the Melbourne area tomorrow and at Titusville the following day, then on to New Smyrna, Daytona and Saint Augustine. We do often take a marina day in New Smyrna and the mooring field in St. Augustine. We will also anchor out at Pine Island and Blount Island before taking a couple days at the free dock at the Jacksonville Landing. We Cruise! We have not spent more than three months at any one anchorage in Florida. Are we lucky? Is the enforcement selective? I don't know, but the fact is we have NEVER been approached or questioned about our anchoring practices in Florida. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 03-03-2011
sailingdog's Avatar
Telstar 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 13
sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
But your boat is obviously a well kept, well maintained boat, not a floating near derelict, as I know, since I had the luck to meet your better half back last spring while in St. Augustine, and saw your boat. The local LEOs have little reason to board or inspect your boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
'just one positive note. We are currently cruising north on the central east Florida coast. We have been cruising Florida waters since 1972 and frequently anchoring. At this time we have still never been approached or questioned by any authority about our anchoring practices. We will be anchoring in the Melbourne area tomorrow and at Titusville the following day, then on to New Smyrna, Daytona and Saint Augustine. We do often take a marina day in New Smyrna and the mooring field in St. Augustine. We will also anchor out at Pine Island and Blount Island before taking a couple days at the free dock at the Jacksonville Landing. We Cruise! We have not spent more than three months at any one anchorage in Florida. Are we lucky? Is the enforcement selective? I don't know, but the fact is we have NEVER been approached or questioned about our anchoring practices in Florida. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
__________________
Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 03-05-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Posts: 197
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
svsirius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
But your boat is obviously a well kept, well maintained boat, not a floating near derelict, as I know, since I had the luck to meet your better half back last spring while in St. Augustine, and saw your boat. The local LEOs have little reason to board or inspect your boat.
And that my friends I think is the KEY... we have been cruising here in FL now and all up and down the east coast and never had the kind of problems some folks are reporting. Key you vessel looking good and like it is 'in navigation' I my guess is you will have few problems.

After all while there are things about cruising down here in FL that are not so cruiser friendly there are more than a few things that make it worth the trip. JMHO
__________________
Jon D
SV Sirius
Moody 47
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 03-05-2011
therapy23's Avatar
Back to just the Jon boat
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 911
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 8
therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsirius View Post
And that my friends I think is the KEY... we have been cruising here in FL now and all up and down the east coast and never had the kind of problems some folks are reporting. Key you vessel looking good and like it is 'in navigation' I my guess is you will have few problems.

After all while there are things about cruising down here in FL that are not so cruiser friendly there are more than a few things that make it worth the trip. JMHO
Ergzaktly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UPDATE - Stuart Anchoring Victory Florida Freesail99 General Discussion (sailing related) 12 05-27-2011 12:46 PM
Anchoring in Florida ebs001 Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 36 05-03-2011 02:14 AM
Florida Anchoring Law - NEEDS ACTION! night0wl General Discussion (sailing related) 1 03-14-2009 09:30 AM
Florida Anchoring Law Victory... Trekka Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 8 10-27-2007 11:59 AM
Anchoring/mooring in Florida? trecksail General Discussion (sailing related) 2 12-28-2006 12:41 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.