SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Florida Anchoring Struggle - Next Phase (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/72460-florida-anchoring-struggle-next-phase.html)

LarryandSusanMacDonald 03-01-2011 12:36 PM

Florida Anchoring Struggle - Next Phase

Those cruisers among us and those who have occasion to anchor in Florida need to read this:

Cruiser's Net Blog Archive Important – Florida Anchoring Rights Struggle Enters Next Phase

night0wl 03-01-2011 01:31 PM

This is a *BIG* issue.

The Florida Keys could become one big no anchor zone if the anchor exclusion zones are 20 miles outside of pilot mooring fields in Boot Key, Key Largo, and a few other small locales.

When and where are the hearings?

I've already forwarded this to our Sailing Club's Commdore and will be speaking at our next club meeting about the topic.

ftldiver 03-01-2011 02:07 PM

Owl, there was also a news story a while back, about no anchor zones for elliott key/ biscayne bay nat park, too.

which club LYC, Hillsboro or Gulfstream?

night0wl 03-01-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ftldiver (Post 703803)
Owl, there was also a news story a while back, about no anchor zones for elliott key/ biscayne bay nat park, too.

which club LYC, Hillsboro or Gulfstream?

Gulfstream.

Right now, its more of a "social" club than sailing. We've lost a lot of boats...100 boats in the past 4 years :(

But there are a few people that are very politically active and this will fire them up.

Yeah, I heard about that no anchor for elliott/biscayne. It also was around the time of Columbus Day Regatta. I understand that people shouted down the National Park Service into submission on that one.

These governments....they'll stop at *NOTHING* to control every aspect of our freedom. Then tax it.

sailingdog 03-01-2011 03:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

RichH 03-01-2011 03:45 PM

Yet one more reason to stay out of Florida on the 'way south' .....

Pompous-assed water cops, gauntlet of 'potty police', exorbitant transient marina fees, rude boaters on the ICW ... and now 'more anchoring restrictions' with the most probable impetus of increasing real estate values (sequestering the riff raff) and the ever famous reason for government 'saliva drooling': increasing 'revenue income'.
"Welcome to Florida, please stay at home & just send your money".

norsearayder 03-02-2011 05:04 AM

its hard to believe that fla is in the same country as maine . up here its amazing where u can slip in an anchor and nobody gives a dam.however u have to move along before the ice catches u.screw fla let the atlantic take it back

Omatako 03-02-2011 11:02 PM

We have it too good - In NZ you can anchor anywhere you like other than in shipping channels (Duh!!).

I't s thing called the Queen's Chain, a principle which says that any water below the high water mark is inviolable public territory and belongs to the nation in perpetuity.

Long may that principle endure.

chrisncate 03-02-2011 11:18 PM

Fl sucks, and the fossils will prevail in the end. They always win. I say let em have their faux paradise. We won't be going there (nor will our money).

CaptainForce 03-03-2011 05:48 AM

It's best to recognize the unique problems in Florida and not to compare the anchoring opportunities to places like New England. Florida's climate encourages people who are not boaters to use unsound vessels as low income housing and this results in derelicts and debris. Being aware of this problem would allow a more constructive plan for resolution than simply ranting against the state. We have successfully anchored while cruising in Florida since 1972 without any question from any authority, but we are very interested in maintaining our rights. The enforcement of marine sanitation regulations and anchor light use should be welcomed by cruisers as a means to eliminate those that are abusing our opportunity. I would even favor a required liability insurance for anchored vessels that would prevent the anchoring of unsound rafts of debris. Fortunately, at this time, we have those same rights as those in New Zealand who anchor out. Take care and joy, Aythya crew