Atlantic crossing from Tortola to Turkey on 46' Cat leaving in May- Routing? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011

claytonwhitney is on a distinguished road
Atlantic crossing from Tortola to Turkey on 46' Cat leaving in May- Routing?

Any suggestions for routing this passage? I am delivering a 46' cat this May from the BVI to Turkey and am not sure whether to go up to Burmuda and catch the westerlys towards the Azores or just follow the rhumb line and motor as much as I have to. I have 6 weeks to get there and mostly unlimited budget for fuel. Any suggestions/ tips from experienced skippers will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The unlimited budget for fuel does you very little good since there are very few places to re-fuel between the BVI and the Azores. You'll want to cut north and catch the westerlies, since doing otherwise will likely leave you without any fuel, since you'll be motoring against the Northeast trade winds. If you don't have a copy of Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes, you really need to get one.

Given the questions you're asking, I have to ask how much sailing experience you have? A 46' catamaran is a lot of boat, and it is pretty easy to get into trouble on one in heavy weather. Do you have an experienced crew for this delivery?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2011

i was looking for advise from someone with experience with both of these routes- not armchair experience from jimmy cornells books. there are plenty of people who go straight from tortola to the azores with positive experiences. a 46 is not a lot of boat as i run a 62' cat presently. dont patronize people whom you have no idea what their experiences are. I have over 50000NM of sailing experience, a USCG masters license, and was sailing before I could walk. Is there anyone who could reply to my query with some real experience?
Old 03-18-2011

Oh, i wasnt sure if there was a delta petroleum in the middle of the atlantic- thanks for clarifying that for me.
Old 03-18-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to answer this gentleman's question with some decorum ?
Old 03-18-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
Decorum?

The original post doesn't mention 50,000 miles of experience and misspells Bermuda. How is anyone supposed to know the original poster has ever been more than 5 miles from Tortola or even been out to Catalina? It is almost surprising that with 50,000 miles of sailing experience (twice around the world?) the original poster hasn't done several transatlantic trips already. If he or she already knows that people routinely go the rhumbline route with no problems, why bother to ask?

Rhumbline isn't the route that I'd take. On a 38' monohull, we took a great circle to Ireland to take advantage of the Gulf Stream and the prevailing westerlies. Just because Cornell suggests something doesn't make it invalid. People cross in Catalinas, too, though that's not the boat I'd prefer. On the other hand, I haven't added up all my sea miles, and the only times I've sailed catamarans was off beaches in the Caribbean.
Old 03-19-2011

lickingcardboard is on a distinguished road
From the OP i see nothing wrong in the First reply he got, some people are just thin skinned.
Old 03-19-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
When we did the rhumb line route the winds were mostly cooperative. However, next year I am taking the Bermuda/northern route because my destination is Cork.

Heading for Gib, and someone else paying for the fuel I would buy lots of yellow cans and consider the rhumb line route.

However, if the winds were not helpful early on I would head north rather than burn fuel.

Good luck and if you take the rhumb line route please PM me and tell me how it was.

Phil

Last edited by Yorksailor; 03-19-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Hi Clayton. I have the same reaction to cut and paste sailors that you do.

Sorry to be late to the party here, but I'm finishing up a delivery and just catching up on the boards since I got a cell signal.

Based on personal experience (as you asked) I generally head North(ish) and keep my options open as long as possible to hit Bermuda or the Azores first. Of course I provision heavily so I can go all the way to the UK if necessary without stopping. Fuel capacity is an issue and I run a rolling threshold for motoring -- early on we sail no matter what and as time progresses and we get further along the minimum boat speed before firing up gets higher and higher.

What usually happens for me is that I decide early on whether to grab the Gulf Stream or go East of the Bahamas. After that, I decide whether to stop in Bermuda, mostly based on fuel burn.

I do carry Cornell's book, but for the Atlantic the routes haven't kept up with the reality of the Gulf Stream running further South than historically and boats that point better.

I know you said you have been running cats for a while, but I'll share one thought anyway. I use a snatch block to pull the sheets inboard to point higher. This is a magic bullet for squeezing 10 or 15 degrees out of the boat.

Have a great trip. Let me know if I can share anything else that may be of assistance to you.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-27-2011

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
What's a "cut and paste" sailor?

And, Clayton, dude -- chill a little. SD is a good guy and was offering his point of view. There are a lot of people who post here who don't have your vast experience.

As for Cornell, he's far from an "arm chair" kind of guy -- he probably completed his first circumnavigation before you could walk. His books are well regarded, especially for routing information of exactly the type you have asked for here. Have a look at what he recommends. If you're too cheap to buy it, it's in most public libraries.

(Let me guess....the 62 ft cat you're running now is one of those that takes the tourists out for a sunset cruise on the lee side of most Caribbean islands?????)

Last edited by billyruffn; 03-27-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.