Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011
I Am, therefore I Sail

kpgraci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Can't you find some teenager who knows how to send that site 2 million e-mails a night for the next three weeks asking him politely to not steal stuff?
Unfortunately most ISP's automatically block multiple duplicate emails to the same address as an anti-spam measure. So you can't really spam the spammers from inside the US. But then I'm no teenager.
'73 ODay 22

If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (c. 4 BC - 65 AD)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2011

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
1) Take screen shots of the infringment.
2) You should register the copyright on your images if you're considering legal action.
Here's a link to explain the process: NatureScapes.Net - Article on How to Register the Copyrights for Your Photographs
3) You should send the ISP a DMCA notice
Example DMCA Notice of Copyright Infringement - FutureQuest, Inc.
Email it, then send it certified mail. DMCA only works in the US though, but if you send it to the ISP they'd be crazy not to comply.
Old 03-04-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Their images are not the same as those on Pbase!

They cropped them.

This was done to expedite the creation of their website, so that they could sell more Indian made "bushes."

Quote:
The company is registered as a small scale industry unit under the State of Kerala, India in 1993. The Managing director - Mr. K.V.BOSS - is a dedicated person, whom has much knowledge and mind to deliver quality products to his customers. He strongly believes in his ethics as append below.
You have all the pertinent information, I suggest that you take the course of legal action. You could place an injunction on their use of YOUR material. You may get a big settlement.
Old 03-04-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Can't you find some teenager who knows how to send that site 2 million e-mails a night for the next three weeks asking him politely to not steal stuff?
This might cause legal issues for Maine Sail that he really doesn't need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-04-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Their images are not the same as those on Pbase!

They cropped them.

This was done to expedite the creation of their website, so that they could sell more Indian made "bushes."
Doesn't matter if they cropped them, they're clearly being used on a commercial website, and as such not fair use.

Quote:
You have all the pertinent information, I suggest that you take the course of legal action. You could place an injunction on their use of YOUR material. You may get a big settlement.
Unfortunately, given that the company and the web design company that did the work are located in INDIA, the only one that Maine Sail has any real recourse against is the webhosting company, which is not going to be liable as long as they remove the offending site when asked to do so. If they don't remove the site, then they MIGHT be liable, but that isn't guaranteed AFAIK and trying to get a settlement would still be expensive.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-04-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hey Maine, sorry to hear about the troubles. If they come on here, let me know.

Brian

PS I feel your pain, Dog's been stealing my stuff for years...

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-04-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
This might cause legal issues for Maine Sail that he really doesn't need.
I agree completely. Basically promoting a DDoS attack on a website gets the feds' undies in quite the bunch and would cause more harm than good for Maine Sail...... Although, fun and seemingly just, not the prudent course of action.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 03-04-2011
Telstar 28

That's cause you're dumb enough to leave steaks cooking on the grill when I'm around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Hey Maine, sorry to hear about the troubles. If they come on here, let me know.

Brian

PS I feel your pain, Dog's been stealing my stuff for years...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-04-2011

Slayer is on a distinguished road
They just received a friendly email from beatyourthievingass@youranidiot.com
Old 03-04-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Damn MS...dont let the jerk make you leave. I have learned a lot reading your posts I find myself agreeing with you most of the time....which is saying something cause I am told I am not the agreeable type. I was hoping someday I would even learn to type and spell like you instead of my ebonics spelling

Go after the cretin......stay the course

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner