Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
In some tourist locations, this is exactly why I prefer a mooring ball to a slip. The expense has almost nothing to do with it. The Nantucket Boat Basin, for example, is used as a boat museum by tourists. Zero privacy, I mean zero. I will bet the tourists outnumber the boat owners 5 to 1 on the outer docks. If you are unlucky enough to get a slip that is right on the wharf, you might as well sleep in the street.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I admit, I'm really on the fence with dock-walkers.
Yeah, a bit of the same. Had a small family passing through the marina last month, they were checking out the fish from the main public dock, pointing and what not. Then one of them pointed at me while I was lounging in the cockpit and said "Oh look, he has a cat on his lap".

I felt like I was in a zoo or something:

"Here you can see the native Sailing Man in his natural habitat. Often Sailing Men will have animal companions, usually cats, small dogs and parrots, which are considered good luck and serve as companions for long solo journeys."

Old 03-07-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
I always love dockwalking myself, but I'm also often reminded of an unsecured marina on Lake Champlain with a bar, and several people that went back to their boats at night after drinking there and found couples going at it in their cockpits.
That's the entertainment package. You pay extra for that

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-07-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
I like walking docks myself but am always conscious of peopleís privacy, something non-boaters donít always think about or understand. If Iím in the middle of something and a dock walker wants to talk I can usually manage to disengage politely. Otherwise I don't mind talking for a few minutes. After all I'm hanging out on the boat

Only had someone feeding gulls off our dock once; asked them if they understood that what goes in one end of a gull comes out the other and is a pain to clean off a boat. They got it and apologized. Most times itís easier to get the message across with a joke rather than being a curmudgeon.

That said I'd be pretty angry if I found someone ON my boat uninvited. Sorry that's trespassing and there's no excuse.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-07-2011

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
You may want to be cautious about the "dock walking." In many places, the finger dock next to a boat is considered a private walkway. Touching a boat, and in particular stepping onboard, could be mistaken as an act of illegally boarding a vessel (rates close to piracy).

If you don't know the owner(s) of the boat(s), you probably don't know the crime level (ie thefts) (if any) in that particular marina. If there have been any problems, I doubt the boat owners will be very happy with you "casing the place" as they may see it.

That said, if you stick to the main walkways and look from a distance, you'll probably be OK.

Skipper,
J/36 "Zero Tolerance"
Old 03-07-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
A dockwalker may also want to consider that they don't want to be on the surveillance tape when a boat owner declares something missing, even if they didn't take it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-07-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
It seems we're talking about two different kinds of dock walkers here, aren't we? There are the ones from onshore (landlubbers) that just come to gawk, and there are the boaters who are staying at the marina who are checking out other people's boats. I dislike the former, and enjoy the latter. At my marina, the gangways to the docks from land are locked and only members have keys (as it should be, IMO). Once you're on the docks, you can go anywhere. I've seen marinas where each of the docks has its own key, so you can only get onto your own dock even if you have a slip... that seems excessive and stifles the community of the marina.