SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailing in Florida in SUMMER (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/72568-sailing-florida-summer.html)

omaho5 03-05-2011 02:59 PM

Sailing in Florida in SUMMER

Just a quickie.. Quesion that is.
Is it too hot to sail around Fort Myers in July/ August for an old New England boy ?
I understand that it can be very uncomfortable.. Any perm. residents have opinions ?
Do you get reverse "cabin fever" ? by hiding out in Summer ?

sawingknots 03-05-2011 03:11 PM

fla in the summer

i have before,its not bad offshore or where theres some wind but near the shore its very,VERY hot and in places the mosquitos will eat you alive,i once crossed via the okeechobee waterway in august,i'll not do that again but its a great trip in winter

CaptainForce 03-05-2011 03:17 PM

We sail in Maine during the summer and I can't imagine swimming in the water there as the locals seem to enjoy. There is an adaptation! I grew up in south Florida without air conditioning and we've lived aboard for about forty years. I can wear a long sleeve damp shirt in the shade and pour a little water on my head if needed. Please, please, Brer Fox, do anything, but don't throw me in that briar patch! Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Svenchantress 03-05-2011 05:21 PM

For the past five years we have lived aboard and cruised on our 27 foot sailboat, cruising the coasts of Florida in the summer and staying in the Keys during the winter. No air conditioning! Love it! BUT, we anchor out and don't stay in marinas! Would need A/C if we stayed in marinas. We are only too hot when on the land! Fans, especially over the bed are essential.

I lived in Connecticut for 22 LONG years. Grew up on Arizona, lived in the south some, visited Singapore and other tropical areas, lived in Florida the past 11 years and I am here to tell you that Connecticut was the most humid place and on a hot day the HOTTEST and most uncomfortable place I ever lived!! All my New England friends were always saying they could never live in Florida as it is too humid and hot! I just smile at their uninformed opinions. :-)

travlineasy 03-05-2011 08:09 PM

About 10 years ago I fished Key West and out to the Marquesses Keys during late June. The temperature rarely got above 85 during the day, and at night, we fished the Key West Harbor area and temperatures ranged about 75 to 80. However, the humidity was not really that bad at all. On the way home we stopped near Fort Myers, fished Boca Grande Cut and it felt like we were fishing in a sauna.

Back home in Maryland's portion of Chesapeake Bay, July and August can be brutal with lots of days where the temperature and humidity readings are just about the same--95/95. Conditions were much better in Key West during the same time frame.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

omaho5 03-05-2011 08:19 PM

Thanks for your imput. I'm vrgin to real hot/humid stuff that lasts for months.

TQA 03-05-2011 10:29 PM

The sailing is not to bad but the nights are really hot and humid. If you can anchor out somewhere you can get the breeze AND you have a decent fan it is endurable,

In a marina you need airconditioning IMHO.

seafrontiersman 03-06-2011 06:23 AM

When there is no wind it's just awfull but not too bad when it blows. One thing that works is "dingy pants" which you can get through Lats and Atts. They are actually much cooler than shorts.

I agree that you need a/c while in a marina.

Mike

CaptainForce 03-07-2011 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylarvinal (Post 705951)
I am from North Alabama and one of my life's goals is to learn to sail a larger sailboat...........

This is quite a drift off the thread topic, but it's important to know that all the skills of learning on a small sailboat transfer to the big ones!

........back to the heat in Florida..........We notice that the summer highs in south Florida are lower than the summer highs in north Florida; however, there is less cooling at night in the south of Florida. A typical summer day in Key Largo can be 85 at noon and 85 at midnight, while Jacksonville can be 90 at noon and 70 at midnight. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

lans0012 03-07-2011 07:36 AM

Weekenders

My girlfriend and I do a lot of weekend cruises in and around Tampa Bay all year long. We do prefer to spend the night in a marina during the summer and get some AC going but there are plenty of cruisers who just use fans and hatch sheets to get some airflow.

I'd say typical summer highs are 85-90 with lows around 75-80. It'll take you a season to adjust though.

Definitely do-able and don't let the mosquitos scare you. I'm from Minnesota and they are at least a 100 times worse there in the summer than in Florida.

IMHO best times are March April May and September October November.