All right, we're almost there. It's about time too, I'm a bit tired of working on this project and it seems like the worst has yet to be done! Varnishing..
Anyways, an update. I finished off my last post with the doors and trim going in, for this update I'll be talking about all kinds of fitting and cutting. Here's what I'm talking about
Those there are the new shelves. Granted, they're not quite perfect there but it's a very close rendition of the final product. I really hummed and hawed about this as I wasn't entirely sure if I just wanted to put back what I took out, at least in style. But it turns out that it just makes sense and looks good. The difference with mine though is that I've shaped the shelves to the hull instead of just running a piece parallel to it. This way it looks parallel to the front of the counter, which makes more sense to me and looks better.
I haven't cut the front pieces for the shelves here, the pieces that stop stuff from falling off, but I got on with that yesterday as you'll see below.
Once I had the shelving all figured out and cut I put them away to take home to do the finishing touches. Here's another angle:
Next up are the fiddles. There was a lot of fiddling around with the forward fiddle.. but I got it shaped up reasonably well enough to call it a day on them. The front one is just a one piecer that will go in the middle and leave to areas to the forward and aft to allow sweeping off of crumbs or whatever. For the remaining bit that isn't covered by the fiddle, I'll make a bit of trim to cover the white of the edge. Something very thin, I'll explain in pictures better in another post.
They're just clamped on for now to give me an idea of what they will look like. Pretty good I think:
Which reminds me, I managed to get the stoppers in for the doors. They stay closed now. Not too difficult a job, it's a just a bit of a pain lining up the pin to the latching part. They're done now. It may not be apparent from the images, but you open them by putting your hand in the top part where I've routered out a small finger opening. Just a little ledge to get fingers in and open the door. Looks clean I think.
Another fiddly item was the paper towel holder. I just knocked it together with a few pieces of spare mahogany I had left over:
and clamped it into place for now:
I can't put it in permanently until I'm done the ceiling piece above the water tank. As you can see in this picture too, there has been some painting going on. I cleaned off the chain plate that was previously painted over and then masked it off so that I wouldn't do the same. Turned out nice:
I got the aft end piece painted too with a couple of coats. It's really coming together.
Once that was all done, it was off to home to do the final bits for the trim and shelving. These are the pieces required:
That's a lot of measuring, cutting, routering, sanding and cleaning and then staining:
Next thing to do is varnish, as I mentioned at the top of this post. Once that's done, it's back to the boat to install it all. Now that's exciting.
I should note, I've never ever done this before.. I'm really hoping it will all turn out and not have anything go wrong while I'm under way. Whether sizes are just right or too big and not accounting for moisture swelling, definitely makes me nervous, at this point in time it's all coming together well. So we'll see!
As for getting on to the water and sailing, that will be happening very soon. I don't plan on doing any other projects on the boat except for painting the hull and bottom. Next large projects come next year. Maybe a few little items I'll do this year, but that's between cruises.