Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Graeme, for the sole, BLJ's suggestion above is a good one.

For the time being you could always cover it with carpet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Nice work, Graeme. Really nice.
Now, let's revisit galley extensions. You know you want one....
[/IMG]
Wow, that's nicer than mine!

What have you got underneath, BLJ? Any pics to show us?? I might have some work to do myself!
Old 05-22-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Sorry about the hijack, graeme.

Hartley, beneath/behind the extension is a rack, sized to hold nav instruments and pencils/pens in one section and the larger section fits magazines, guide books and quarter folded charts.

I highly recommend building one. stupid easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2011

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
That's an excellent suggestion for the sole. I'll try to do that then. I like that extension but it's not in the cards this year. I'm not a big fan of carpet as it's hard to clean, unlike just leaving it as is. If I get a half day to work on the sole then I will, it's just a matter of getting the cuts straight really... A bit scary, we'll see.

I'll try out my galley and if I find I need more space then I'll put one together. I like the one you've done, good idea there and it looks quite nice.

I have an update coming pretty quick here. Lots of cutting and fitting going on, and routering of course. Next up is sanding, then varnishing, then more sanding, then varnishing and so on and so forth for the last of the finish trim and shelving. I still haven't started on the cooler lid though. That's a tough one, I'll leave it for last probably.

I've got so much space under the stove and sink now that I don't know what to do with it. Any ideas for shelving or something?

I'll see if I can get pics up tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Sorry about the hijack, graeme.

Hartley, beneath/behind the extension is a rack, sized to hold nav instruments and pencils/pens in one section and the larger section fits magazines, guide books and quarter folded charts.

I highly recommend building one. stupid easy.
Neat! Thanks - I will add it too the list. I like the folding supports too - my current extension hangs from the overhead rail, which allows clearance underneath, but does limit access somewhat.

Looking forward to your next pics, Graeme!
Old 05-24-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Hey Cameron .. you have a pic of that ?

I'm a great believer in some form of chart table which Jonesy's extension gives and no galley is so big that extra bench space is unwelcome.

One thing I must say is that Graeme seems to be working towards a point where he will stop and then go sailing for the summer. Big mistake many make and I've done it myself is to keep on working until you suddenly find the summer has gone and you've wasted an entire season. Time to enjoy what you've got Graeme and then get back into it come winter.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 05-24-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-24-2011

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I just installed the very same stove on my boat.... $300-something from Defender! He-haw! Fuel's a little pricey, but you'll be sleeping tight at night....
Old 05-24-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

I'm a great believer in some form of chart table which Jonesy's extension gives and no galley is so big that extra bench space is unwelcome.
Not of it specifically.. I'm going down there later today and will post one.
Old 05-25-2011

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
All right, we're almost there. It's about time too, I'm a bit tired of working on this project and it seems like the worst has yet to be done! Varnishing..

Anyways, an update. I finished off my last post with the doors and trim going in, for this update I'll be talking about all kinds of fitting and cutting. Here's what I'm talking about

Those there are the new shelves. Granted, they're not quite perfect there but it's a very close rendition of the final product. I really hummed and hawed about this as I wasn't entirely sure if I just wanted to put back what I took out, at least in style. But it turns out that it just makes sense and looks good. The difference with mine though is that I've shaped the shelves to the hull instead of just running a piece parallel to it. This way it looks parallel to the front of the counter, which makes more sense to me and looks better.

I haven't cut the front pieces for the shelves here, the pieces that stop stuff from falling off, but I got on with that yesterday as you'll see below.

Once I had the shelving all figured out and cut I put them away to take home to do the finishing touches. Here's another angle:

Next up are the fiddles. There was a lot of fiddling around with the forward fiddle.. but I got it shaped up reasonably well enough to call it a day on them. The front one is just a one piecer that will go in the middle and leave to areas to the forward and aft to allow sweeping off of crumbs or whatever. For the remaining bit that isn't covered by the fiddle, I'll make a bit of trim to cover the white of the edge. Something very thin, I'll explain in pictures better in another post.

They're just clamped on for now to give me an idea of what they will look like. Pretty good I think:

Which reminds me, I managed to get the stoppers in for the doors. They stay closed now. Not too difficult a job, it's a just a bit of a pain lining up the pin to the latching part. They're done now. It may not be apparent from the images, but you open them by putting your hand in the top part where I've routered out a small finger opening. Just a little ledge to get fingers in and open the door. Looks clean I think.

Another fiddly item was the paper towel holder. I just knocked it together with a few pieces of spare mahogany I had left over:

and clamped it into place for now:

I can't put it in permanently until I'm done the ceiling piece above the water tank. As you can see in this picture too, there has been some painting going on. I cleaned off the chain plate that was previously painted over and then masked it off so that I wouldn't do the same. Turned out nice:

I got the aft end piece painted too with a couple of coats. It's really coming together.

Once that was all done, it was off to home to do the final bits for the trim and shelving. These are the pieces required:

That's a lot of measuring, cutting, routering, sanding and cleaning and then staining:

Next thing to do is varnish, as I mentioned at the top of this post. Once that's done, it's back to the boat to install it all. Now that's exciting.

I should note, I've never ever done this before.. I'm really hoping it will all turn out and not have anything go wrong while I'm under way. Whether sizes are just right or too big and not accounting for moisture swelling, definitely makes me nervous, at this point in time it's all coming together well. So we'll see!

As for getting on to the water and sailing, that will be happening very soon. I don't plan on doing any other projects on the boat except for painting the hull and bottom. Next large projects come next year. Maybe a few little items I'll do this year, but that's between cruises.
Old 05-25-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Graeme,
I am a complete klutz when it comes to this kind of stuff but what I have found is that provided you use the correct materials and do your best to seal end grain you have won half the battle against deterioration caused by moisture. I rebuilt the galley in my boat pre Raven and while the result was nowhere near as good (from a craftsman's point of view) as yours that galley still works and has held together for damn near thirty years. Plenty of glue, plenty of screws. Worked for me.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-25-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

Here you go:

Galley idea.. a bit of input is hoped for-imag0123.jpg

Galley idea.. a bit of input is hoped for-imag0124.jpg

Sorry the pics are so dark, but I left the camera at home and had to use the (no-flash) phone instead. The timber and furnishings are dark anyways, but we haven't seen the sun here for weeks now!..

Last edited by Classic30; 05-25-2011 at 07:50 PM.