So I think we are just about at the end of the galley updates for Stargazer. It's been a really long haul and I'm almost perfectly happy with what has been done up to this point. This update covers the installation of the fiddle, trim and shelving.
I last left off with all of that wood stained and ready to be varnished. Well, with a few days behind me I managed to get it all done with 3 coats each side that needed it. With that done I was finally able to take it on it's one way trip to the boat and get on with installing.
The first thing to get in place was the trim around the water tank front:
It was a bit of an afterthought but I did mitered edges there and managed to get it all in and looking decent. I can't decide just yet on what to put on the top but I'll think of something in time. For now it just looks better. It was a bit of a hassle creating these pieces because I wanted them to match the trim that was in place already beneath the cabinet in depth. So they shouldn't stick out more than that trim was and unfortunately the water tank stuck out a bit more in one area and less in another.. Combined with that I didn't have the right wood hanging around and ended up doing a bunch of planing (1/16th inch at a time) to get the wood to the right thickness and then some routering to another piece to make up for some missing bits on the aft end of it. Hard to see in the pics though..
Next up was getting the fiddles on. I had to shape the forward one a bit to get the curve right but all in all it was a simple install. I didn't bother countersinking them further in and covering the screws, I instead decided to go with more strength by countersinking less and just screwing the screws in flush. Looks fine I think.
A side story though, I had a surveyor in that day and he was moving all about in the boat and had to get under the sink area there to check it out. When he was supporting himself on the way down he actually used the cupboard door a little to support his weight/balance.. all I could do for that split second was take a quick sharp breath and hope for the very best. All was well, no cracks or anything. I can't believe he just naturally thought that cupboard doors are something to support yourself on. With that he launched himself upwards from the floor by holding on to the galley itself, that held up just fine and it was good to know. He definitely weighed more than I do.
Anyways, side story out of the way.
After getting on with the fiddles I also decided to cover up the rest of the front of the counter top/plywood with some very very thinly planed down mahogany. Almost like a veneer thickness. Looks good too, just need a bit of varnish on those:
So, as you can see in that picture I also got the shelving into place. I still have a bit of screwing to do but it all fits nicely and looks good I think. I may see how it goes but I'm thinking of maybe bringing down the shelf an inch, it might just be a tad high for what I want to use that area for.
So that's about it for this update. I still have the cooler top to do but I'm not in a big rush as I don't have a cruise to go on just yet. The galley has really come a long ways, it's going to be nice to use.