Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
Greetings; I have great service from kroseane two burner primus stove light with metolated spirits no gas to worry about and secured by just two bolts in the gimble Main frame secure by four bolts to worktop so it is very easey to take ashore on bbqs and campning I would reconsider the gas bottle . The heat from the stove would boil a large ketle in 12 mins from cold in the winter a pice of 1/2 inch steel plate over one of the rings acts as a heater (Dad worked in Ship Biulding) Go Safe

Last edited by captflood; 03-09-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2011

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
Great idea on the countertop. I don't need much, that's for sure. Would put up with a lot more abuse than wood. Maybe a granite like finish would be interesting..

For stoves, are we all talking about this one? Steveston Marine: marine, boating, and fishing supplies

That's pricey.. seems to have very high reviews though.

Excellent suggestions, this is really helping a lot. I'm still on the fence here and there but at least it's coming together a bit.
Old 03-09-2011

What about the cookmate one? comparable size and BTU's to the Origo Steveston Marine: marine, boating, and fishing supplies (it'll show up as the same title here on sailnet unfortunately)

Anybody have any issues or thoughts. That local marine store actually doesn't carry Origo any longer. It's nice that this stove is a bit cheaper in price. Not sure on quality.
Old 03-09-2011

justified is on a distinguished road
Graeme
Well the design is looking great, I'd say you are just about ready to start building. Thought on upper slide doors I have the same type of layout the doors are framed and panel, the panel is a cane material like they use on chairs, gives a nice contrast.
I had a Cookmate 4200 2 burner flush mount in my old boat loved it. That looks to be a good price from the site you linked. It will also maximize the storage under neither.
Counter material: Formica is very inexpensive and easy to make up or you can get pre-made at HD or Lowes.
I agree with Redfin on the issue with block ice. how about a small transfer pump with a float that would go to your sink tankage. just a thought.
Guess its time to get busy spring is on its way!!!!
Peter
Old 03-09-2011

bradandjaya is on a distinguished road
Insert for the sink?

Graeme,

I haven't seen mention of an insert to cover the sink. It would increase your counter space, but then you have to have stowage for it when using the sink. If you go with the idea, you probably should caulk the joint between the sink and the counter, as the sink would now sit under the counter instead of on top of it. The sink mounting might be a little tricky, but I'm sure I've seen this on other boats, so it is possible.

Love the renderings.

Brad
Old 03-09-2011

After some looking around I found this style: COOKMATE 4200 DOUBLE BURNER STOVE - DROP-IN Binnacle.com

Can anybody comment on what would be better/easier to use/put in etc based on thoughts or actual experience?

I'm thinking I like this one but it doesn't go with my clean look that I was hoping to have. Not a big deal, will resemble the sink and ease of install is there. Controls are on top so I can close up the hole in the front there to get to the controls which is an issue for another person here and I agree with.

I'll put up another render in the case that others may be interested in chiming in.
Old 03-09-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I think your plan of recessing a table top stove is hazardous. Flames hit a pot on the stove and travel horizontally, and will likely heat the edge of your counter top dangerously.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 03-09-2011

I actually posted about that 4200 before I saw your post there Peter! What a fluke. I think I'm going to get that this weekend after I confirm that I can fit it in just fine. I tried a cane material on the panels there, I can't find a good texture out there to use in my 3D app.. gives the idea I think..

Now that I'm going to go for a flush mount stove I think I'll leave the sink as is. I thought on the same item but I would need to get real granite in place to do that and I don't think I'll bother with that kind of effort. Great idea though and it would allow me to have an insert in the sink. Although I do keep either the kettle or a water jug in there while underway for convenience. I may still come up with something for the sink though. It tapers in if I remember correctly.

You're right Gary, I'm not keen on the idea either. New render here:

Not convinced yet on the countertop colouring. I think I should do something darker, brownish... or grey with some kind of brown in it? Any thoughts?
Old 03-10-2011

nightowle is on a distinguished road
I had sliding doors like your design for my pots and pans cupboard...what a pain. Never enough room to get to what you need with only one side open at a time. I converted the doors last year to a hinge opening, just like regular kitchen cabinets. works much better! Just make sure you use secure latches. I have a counter cover that goes over my Origo alcohol stove; I like that it gives extra counter space when the stove isn't in use. Mine drops back vertically into a slot at the back end of the counter so it's out of the way when the stove is used. I like a lighter color counter top if the salon is small like my boat. Keeps it more open looking. You're on the right track though.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 03-10-2011

justified is on a distinguished road
WOW Look at that Galley......two days of talk with sailors you have never met and you have a galley that you and the admiral can be very proud of. Nice job.
Peter