Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
I've been following at a distance. Looking good, Graeme!

I know this is a little late, but for what it's worth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeInCanada View Post
Thanks jones, got the paper towels moved and I like the idea for the cups hanger. As I look at it, won't they clank around a lot? Am I missing something there? a piece of wood between each cup perhaps?
In practice, no, they won't clank around - not if there's at least a little space between them and, to my eye, what you've drawn seems about right - because they all move together.

Quote:
I thought about a folding countertop space but I'm not sure I need it anymore. The area above the water tank will also have a removable/hinge based piece, so that will help. I'll have to get that in the next render.
Our boat has a small folding countertop over the end of the settee, hinged off the right-hand bulkhead and held up by a cord to a hook on the overhead. It normally stows down out of the way, but you might find it handy whilst you're using the stove.

In any case, it wouldn't affect your design and could be fitted anytime.
Old 03-28-2011

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
Thanks!

That's interesting about the cups.. that really works? They won't clank around at all? I'll head to the dollar store for some test cups when I'm done.

Good idea on the fold down counter. When I'm further along in the refit I'll post pictures again to see how it will go.
Old 03-28-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Thanks!

That's interesting about the cups.. that really works? They won't clank around at all? I'll head to the dollar store for some test cups when I'm done.
Graeme, give it a try, but the way you showed them in your rendering (very impressive, BTW), so long as they can't hit the side walls, I'd be surprised if they did. Unlike other forms of transport, larger yachts tend to move around relatively slowly and don't jerk - thus clanging cups together. Some test cups hung from the deckhead will tell you one way or the other.

I look forward to your updates. Refurbishing our galley is on my list of things to do..
Old 03-28-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Graeme,
My apologies if its been covered and I missed it but why a non gimballed stove ? Even at anchor I cannot conceive of non gimballed. Gives me the willies just to think about .

Otherwise I have to say its looking pretty good, given what you had to work with.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2011

Excellent question, one that hasn't even been brought up yet. I did think of it though.

I decided not to go with a gimballed stove due to lack of need. I never cook while underway and when at anchor I'm usually in a secluded area. The only times I've used the stove and it's been rocky is when I've been sitting right there keeping a sharp eye on things. I get it though, there are times when some powerboater is going to go by with his huge hull pushing mounds of water out of the way which will rock my boat like crazy all of a sudden if taken on the beam. But it's rare indeed and wasn't worth the extra cost at this time.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm just readying another update here actually. Lots of progress being made.
Old 03-29-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The stove must have fiddles and pot holders.... mandatory. Boiling water is as dangerous as a fire itself to your skin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-30-2011

Absolutely. Those are on the "to buy" list.

Just got the vinyl fabric today for the ceiling, got some great deals.. also got the fiberglass, epoxy and a couple of tools for fiberglassing that I've been borrowing from a friend up to this point. That stuff is expensive..

Made good progress on the mockup and also managed to pick up a bit more mahogany for the trim etc. It's late now and I'm pretty tired from the day but I'll post pics tomorrow and an update on progress.
Old 03-30-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Graeme,

great post, really like the 3D software. Sorry to come in late with suggestions however another option is not to use doors but to have either a strip of wood or material secured with rope to hold pots & pans, cups, etc. Below is what I mean; nothing has come loose. The stove is also a gimbled alcohol stove.

Ilenart

Photobucket
Old 03-30-2011

That's a great suggestion! Thanks for showing a pic too, that helps a lot.

On with an update then:

Now that my templates were done I needed to get on with making a mockup before I start cutting up expensive plywood and not quite getting it right. I'm reasonably picky about stuff fitting and all that and would like to get this right the first time. Here I have a picture of each piece cut out and ready to be put on a basic frame:

In the middle piece I've drawn out where the sink and stove will go and where the cooler will be. Hard to tell in such a small pic, but they're worked out on that piece. Each side piece is cut so that it matches the top in width and is the right height. Measure 5 times, cut once, even cheap plywood like that.

After building a basic frame with 1x2 I screwed each piece on and tossed the sink and stove in place to see how it would look:

Not bad I think. I'm looking forward to getting this down to the boat and seeing if it fits in the companion way for one, but then in place and up to the shape of the hull. I have to cut out the front part or I'll never see if the forward side fits right (that is if the hull side fits correctly). That will help the next item that I want to work on, which are the doors for the front to get under the stove and sink. I've managed to get some nice mahogany for that so I'm looking forward to get on with that.

Next major stuff is to do a thorough clean up of the hull, some fiberglassing to allow me to attach the new vinyl covered plywood and paint on top of all that with some kind of insulation that has yet to be decided on. Lots to do. I'll post more soon. Of course any pointers or suggestions are more than welcome.
Old 03-30-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I came into this late, but it's cool to follow your project from early concept to your real work. Nice job! I hope you'll keep posting.

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright