Thanks guys for the input, very much appreciated. I'm reminded again, thanks to bljones there, on how little space I do have to walk around in there and am going to go with the idea of pushing it back an inch or so. The hip riding along the edge makes sense, I can actually picture myself running my knee into the edge of the door and breaking it off (the door, not my knee). I like both looks though so I'm still a bit torn and am hoping I'm making the right decision. I'll know this Friday when I go for the second fitting of the cabinet and work out the last of the details.
Any more input is more than appreciated of course (like Johnny 5, more input!.. I wonder who will get that joke...)
Anyways, more updates then for the five or so people following along
I managed to get to the boat for a few hours to get some work done. The first thing was to get the interior all cleaned up and ready for the fiberglassing of the frames to hold the ceiling in place. I also wanted to be sure to get rid of all the old glue and any mildew that was there. If you remember the interior looked like this:
Quite grungy and gross. That extends all the way back about 15 feet or so. Now it looks like this:
A few items to note. Scraping and sanding sucks.. the majority of my time was clean up I think. I had a vacuum with me to take up all the dust as I sanded and scraped along but of course it's time consuming to keep up on it, hold the vacuum in place and all that. There's at least 15 feet of this crap and it all needed to come off for the next bit of fiberglass and a coat of paint to protect it all. I also did a bit of planing to even up the edge along the bottom there and cleaned up and made flush the water tank cover (for more info on the water tank if you're curious then see here
). I'll be putting a thin layer of fiberglass over that planed part to protect it and strengthen things up a smidge. The last item to note is that I cut out the rotten plywood that was at the forward end of the work area. The water tank build post covers how bad that was, that area will get rebuilt with wood and fiberglass and a hatch will be put in to get to the electrical and plumbing I put in there.
Here's a shot looking aft:
Looks like a boat.. not much to say here. I'll be installing the ceiling all the way back.
Once I had things cleaned up and looking as I wanted them to be I brought the mockup cabinet down to see how it would look and fit:
Two issues with the pics is that they are taken with the zoom all the way out. Makes the cabinet look a bit bigger than it is. It does look big though and with some thought I've decided to lower it an inch and a half. I'll double check that this week when I get a chance to head back down to the boat, but I'm quite sure I want to do that. Should give a better appearance.
Here's a shot of how the forward end fits to the hull. Pretty good, will need refining, especially now that I'm pushing it back about an inch. Should be easy though.
I had a bit of a problem with the aft end though:
That's 5 inches for you detailed sorts. The miscalculation came from me applying the bottom measurement to the top. Essentially it's exactly 5 inches out from top to bottom. No big deal, with some quick work I had this in place for new measurements to take home:
Anybody can make mistakes when you're not building on the spot. I should have done better but.. such as it is. This is why I almost always build a cheap mockup, I try never to put myself on the "I'll do it perfect the first time" pedestal.
More updates to follow soon. I've got it all home and have been working on a couple of items at the same time. Tried out the stove yesterday, love it. Much better than that propane one I had, good flame, easy to use, easy to fill, looks good. Should have done this a long time ago, thanks to all that suggested it. Looked for pot holders yesterday, they want 50 bucks a side.. yikes.. the whole stove itself only cost 300 plus tax.