Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Graeme I hope you are correct. I know that where we anchor there is just enough passing traffic to make gimballing an absolute necessity and yes we do cook when underway but as Minnewaska notes, boiling water is a horror and it really doesn't take much to fling a saucepan of water off a stove. I would never have a non gimballed stove on a boat. At least you will have rails and potholders.

Other than that, looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeInCanada View Post
Excellent question, one that hasn't even been brought up yet. I did think of it though.

I decided not to go with a gimballed stove due to lack of need. I never cook while underway and when at anchor I'm usually in a secluded area. The only times I've used the stove and it's been rocky is when I've been sitting right there keeping a sharp eye on things. I get it though, there are times when some powerboater is going to go by with his huge hull pushing mounds of water out of the way which will rock my boat like crazy all of a sudden if taken on the beam. But it's rare indeed and wasn't worth the extra cost at this time.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm just readying another update here actually. Lots of progress being made.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2011

windyburr is on a distinguished road
Graeme,
I'm also in the process of re-doing my galley. Take a look at Home-
depot for the damaged pieces of Formica for your countertop, I found a sheet (full size) that had the small corner broken off marked down to $10. You could also make long a narrow box for your cups and set it on the raised part or the bulkhead on the right side of the stove, no rattling around and if you make it portable you could take it with the cups out into the cockpit.
Old 04-03-2011

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
Thanks everybody for the compliments. I'll be sure to keep updating as I go.

Good idea on the damaged pieces. When I was just coming out of high school I worked for the competition just when Home Depot was coming into the area. You've reminded me on how a whole piece would be marked right down because of some small crack or something.

OK, a quick update with more to follow shortly.

I've started working on the cupboard doors for the opening below the sink and stove:

I'm using mahogany given to me by a friend that had some "scraps" hanging around. I have enough to do the shelves behind the stove and sink too, very handy.

This is how they'll fit on to the front of the cabinet, you may be able to barely make out the lines of where I make my cuts for the opening:

Here is one that's just about finished (needs edge routering for a soft edge and putting together). The one on the left is the old one. I plan on making the newer ones slightly lighter in colour and the handle will be a routered bit on top rather than on the front like that. So you'll just put your finger tips in a basic 3/4" indentation for leverage to open the doors. Should work well and look clean:

I also cut open the front to give me a better idea of how big of an opening I'll have. I'm quite happy with it, gives me lots of space to put things in:

My next update will be putting this thing on the boat to see how it all fits and getting things cleaned and prepped for all the fun fiberglass work that I have...

Last edited by GraemeInCanada; 04-03-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Looking good Graeme. Nice work. I am and always have been an absolute plnker when it comes to wood working so I admire anybody who has the skill.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-03-2011

Thanks! I'm assuming a pinker is a newbie of some sorts. Just take your time really, as I'll soon post I'm not mr. perfect in any way.. sigh..

Anyways, I have a request for opinions. Here is a slightly changed render. The main area is that I've pushed back the cabinet about 3/4 of an inch. It will create a small lip at the bottom there and the countertop. Keeping in mind there will be a fiddle on the front of the counter, it's just not in the render just yet. My thinking here is that I want the doors to not stick out beyond the whole cabinet area. So the cabinet front is no longer flush with the bottom piece (which I've also changed to be wood, not painted, more later on that).

Anyways, opinions on those two changes would be very much appreciated. I like the idea but am curious if there are those think it a bad idea perhaps:

The bottom trim between the bottom and the cabinet will be corner trim too, not just normal 1" trim like it's shown there. There will also be 3/4" square trim between the sole and that bottom piece to "separate" them. One last item is that the doors aren't as high and will be a bit wider.

Thanks for the ideas on the cups there Windy, I like that idea and will keep it in mind when I finally make it to that point.
Old 04-04-2011

nightowle is on a distinguished road
Ok, Graemme, I've been following along the progress and really like all the changes you've made, particularly following my idea to use the pull out cabinet doors as opposed to sliding ones.

when I converted mine, I found some inexpensive simple wood knobs at the hardware store and stained them to match the teak doors. while i like your inset grabs much better, I can say that i haven't had any problem running into the knobs, so recessing your cabinets by 3/4 doesn't really seem necessary and of course every square inch is usually needed for pots and pans, etc.

Just my 2 pennies again!

keep showing those renderings and pictures. You've inspired me to add a drop leaf extension to the end of my galley counter. there's never enough counter space for food prep!
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 04-04-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Graeme,

A PLNKER is a PLONKER who can't spell and/or type.

Regarding the door handles .. my favourites are those pushmepullyou types seen on most modern production boats. Problem is that some of them are really cheap and nasty and prone to failure even when new.

The Womboat has galley door handles that protrude and I can honestly say they have never got in the way .. unlike that bloody foot pump ..

Old 04-04-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I like the idea of an overhanging bullnose on the countertop, graeme. Your knees will thank you. With an overhang your hip will ride along the counter, instead of your knees catching the edge of the doors, when you have to make a mad dash fore, or aft, or wherever you have to dash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-05-2011

Thanks guys for the input, very much appreciated. I'm reminded again, thanks to bljones there, on how little space I do have to walk around in there and am going to go with the idea of pushing it back an inch or so. The hip riding along the edge makes sense, I can actually picture myself running my knee into the edge of the door and breaking it off (the door, not my knee). I like both looks though so I'm still a bit torn and am hoping I'm making the right decision. I'll know this Friday when I go for the second fitting of the cabinet and work out the last of the details.

Any more input is more than appreciated of course (like Johnny 5, more input!.. I wonder who will get that joke...)

Anyways, more updates then for the five or so people following along

I managed to get to the boat for a few hours to get some work done. The first thing was to get the interior all cleaned up and ready for the fiberglassing of the frames to hold the ceiling in place. I also wanted to be sure to get rid of all the old glue and any mildew that was there. If you remember the interior looked like this:

Quite grungy and gross. That extends all the way back about 15 feet or so. Now it looks like this:

A few items to note. Scraping and sanding sucks.. the majority of my time was clean up I think. I had a vacuum with me to take up all the dust as I sanded and scraped along but of course it's time consuming to keep up on it, hold the vacuum in place and all that. There's at least 15 feet of this crap and it all needed to come off for the next bit of fiberglass and a coat of paint to protect it all. I also did a bit of planing to even up the edge along the bottom there and cleaned up and made flush the water tank cover (for more info on the water tank if you're curious then see here). I'll be putting a thin layer of fiberglass over that planed part to protect it and strengthen things up a smidge. The last item to note is that I cut out the rotten plywood that was at the forward end of the work area. The water tank build post covers how bad that was, that area will get rebuilt with wood and fiberglass and a hatch will be put in to get to the electrical and plumbing I put in there.

Here's a shot looking aft:

Looks like a boat.. not much to say here. I'll be installing the ceiling all the way back.

Once I had things cleaned up and looking as I wanted them to be I brought the mockup cabinet down to see how it would look and fit:

Two issues with the pics is that they are taken with the zoom all the way out. Makes the cabinet look a bit bigger than it is. It does look big though and with some thought I've decided to lower it an inch and a half. I'll double check that this week when I get a chance to head back down to the boat, but I'm quite sure I want to do that. Should give a better appearance.

Here's a shot of how the forward end fits to the hull. Pretty good, will need refining, especially now that I'm pushing it back about an inch. Should be easy though.

I had a bit of a problem with the aft end though:

That's 5 inches for you detailed sorts. The miscalculation came from me applying the bottom measurement to the top. Essentially it's exactly 5 inches out from top to bottom. No big deal, with some quick work I had this in place for new measurements to take home:

Anybody can make mistakes when you're not building on the spot. I should have done better but.. such as it is. This is why I almost always build a cheap mockup, I try never to put myself on the "I'll do it perfect the first time" pedestal.

More updates to follow soon. I've got it all home and have been working on a couple of items at the same time. Tried out the stove yesterday, love it. Much better than that propane one I had, good flame, easy to use, easy to fill, looks good. Should have done this a long time ago, thanks to all that suggested it. Looked for pot holders yesterday, they want 50 bucks a side.. yikes.. the whole stove itself only cost 300 plus tax.
Old 04-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Appreciate being able to follow along on the project. Looks great so far. I might just have an old dog of a computer, but with so many pics in this thread, it takes some time to load. I wonder if starting a new thread with progress would help others too.

Could be me, I set my threads to display 100 posts so that I don't have to page through tons of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.