Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011
Sea Rat

pukeslip is on a distinguished road
nice i dont have too much to add but i highly recommend putting some sort of drain in the icebox. it's much easier to clean if you can just hose it down and let it drain itself. also, ice melts no matter how insulated your icebox is, and you will need to drain that water somehow, even if you drain straight into your bilge, and you let your pumps bail the water out. just incorporate some sort of plug and drain right into your bilge, thats what i would do. our icebox is in the bench outside on the deck. since we're always drinking in the hot sun, it's much closer and easier to access. we do have a fridge inside for cold cuts and stuff like that too though. but i cant stress enough the drain for the icebox.

the next suggestion is just personal opinion, but the space below your sink would make a more user friendly space for bags and other stuff your crew may bring. i would just and a net or a small railing a couple of inches off the ground and leave it open and accessible. i personally dont like sliding doors.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Graeme, I reckon you made the correct decision in reducing the size. It is so easy to build something for a boat that overwhelms the interior. OK so you lose a little storage space but lack of storage is one of the prices paid for a small boat.

I don't agree with the idea of no doors. While I dislike sliding doors and would definitely go hinged that area is going to be needed for cookware and pantry. Guests bags will have to live in the quarter berth.

ps - Minnewaska .. if you have a slow connection/machine 100 post per page is most certainly a mistake.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 04-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
ps - Minnewaska .. if you have a slow connection/machine 100 post per page is most certainly a mistake.
Broadband wi-fi with an old Windows XP computer and most just pop right up. This thread is not really that bad, but it pauses with so many pics. Not a big deal, but I'm imagining how many pics will be in this thread before its done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-05-2011

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
Lots and lots my friend. Sorry about that. I have a practically brand new macbook pro with a very very fast internet connection and I can't imagine putting this thread at 100 posts per page (or any forum for that matter). It's just not reasonable for this kind of thread. My apologies for the inconvenience there but you may want to bring your limit down to maybe 50? That way you don't have to bother bringing in the first page or so. I've got my limit at 20 per page currently (default setting I think), we're on the fourth page so far. I would expect a few more pages depending on responses. Hopefully the thread is useful and interesting enough to make it worth it.

I have a new render to glance at (these images are large because they are PNG files):

The bullnose pieces are on, front of cabinet is pushed back a bit, corner moulding is in and inside curve piece on the forward on the cabinet to make the transition at that point a bit better. I've taken the extra items out for now to keep the eye centered away from them and adjusted the cabinet doors to better reflect their actual size (it's close).

With that, the more I think on things the more I find I may need to make it all a bit smaller. I've tentatively decided to bring it all down about an inch and a half so that it doesn't tower so high and bring the aft end in about 2 inches which takes a bit off the cooler. This will make a 10 inch opening in the cooler (that's accounting for 2 inches each side of insulation).

I couldn't resist and went ahead and fit in the sink and stove just to see what it would look like. So far I like it:

The cutting board is exactly 10 inches wide there, which gives me an idea of the size of the opening. The line I drew on the right is where my new cut will be to bring it down a couple of inches.

Can't put a drain into the bilge unfortunately, this is my bilge:

I think there is maybe 2 inches of depth there. No sump. Boat just isn't big enough, it's only 25 feet with 8 foot beam. Great idea, but I can't. Ice goes in containers, any condensation will be sponged and then toweled out unfortunately.

Thinking on it as I write this.. I could make a drain in the cooler that drains down into a container that can come out like a drawer. That would go below the cooler and the cooler just wouldn't take up the whole hull space like the water tank does.. hrmm.. something to think about. Lots more work though. Sorta... I'll think on it a bit more.

Bags go in v-berth. I have to store pots and stuff somewhere, no other spot to put them. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 04-05-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Graeme, like you we are on a small boat withe a small bilge. Our icebox drains into a 2 litre rubbermaid bottle which is bungied to the inside of the galley cupboard toekick. Whenever I open the cupboard to pour drinking water, I can check the overflow bottle. I usually have to drain it every week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-05-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Graeme, saw your pic with the 5" gap... BTDT. Do you know how to use a tick stick?

Matching Curves With A Tick Stick

Old 04-05-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Draining ice boxes and/or showers into bilge = smells. My opinion only but not something I would contemplate.

We keep ice in a separate container than can be removed and emptied down the sink. We have a cheap 12v pump that also doubles as our shower pump which can be pressed into service when needed.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 04-05-2011

Good idea with the bottle. I'm not particularly concerned about it at this point but it's in my brain and is nibbling away at the back.

Yes, I do know the tick stick approach but am far too lazy to do that. I actually find it easier to scribe and plane away the excess. The 5 inches was just a silly mistake really.. almost embarrassing to make but I don't embarrass easy Thanks for the link though, good information.

On an unrelated note, nice blog there jones, I like it.
Old 04-06-2011
Sea Rat

pukeslip is on a distinguished road
youre right about the bags, and you do need space for cookware, guess i sort of overlooked that when replying

anyways, how do you bail water? do you have a bilge pump? could you make the drain go right out overboard? in any case i like the drawer/bottle idea if you have no other option.

nice work
Old 04-06-2011

I never bail water

Kidding. If I had to I have a large pail and a manual pump on board that has a long hose to push the water over the side. At that point in the boat it is below the water line. I have decided not to make the cooler as low as I originally was going to and will most likely either do something now or later about a drain for it. The framework will be in place though. Thanks for the suggestion.

More updates coming soon.