I'm not sure I would do it with a spray, I'd be too worried about it spraying all over the place. Contact cement is much cleaner but of course a bit more difficult for final placement.
Not a lot of action in this thread, maybe it's just gone on too long.. anyways one more update to see then:
I started on the cabinet for the galley with the actual plywood that I'll be using instead of that mockup stuff. I'm using 1/2 inch ply for the front and ends and inside cooler side, then 5/8 inch for the countertop and final aft end piece that will extend up to the deck.
A quick tip when cutting straight edges and you're not interested in using a table saw because a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood can be rather unwieldy is to use a guide. Essentially a straight edge that you can run your skilsaw or sabre saw down so it's straight and doesn't wobble, kinda like this:
In the end I got this:
Thanks to building that mockup it really gave me a great idea for placement of opening, size and height. Now I need to take it to the boat to fit in with the ceiling in place so I can get a proper size for the countertop. It'll all start to come together very very soon.
With that, I also started work on finishing the cabinet doors. I really wanted a nice finish to them and went with a mitered corner approach. I used a router to get the rounded edges and for the middle I used two pieces of 1/8 inch mahogany plywood. Essentially I wanted good 2 sides so I took them and used contact cement to glue them back to back to create a 1/4 inch piece to go in. I stained both sides to be a bit darker and then fitted them in a slot that I also routered into the mahogany frame pieces.
It was a heck of a lot of work to get the corners at a perfect 45 degree angle and I just about gave up but got it working and here they are. The piece of scrap I put on top is the original colour of the mahogany plywood, with the stain on I think the grain came out quite nice and they go well with the frames now:
Next step is all on the boat to get the insulation and ceiling into place, the cabinet fitted perfectly and counter top measured out right, the inside piece for the cooler measured, cut and fit and a few bits and pieces of prep work before final installation.
Once I had the majority of the carpentry done for the cabinet, it was time for a test fitting. Going all the way to the boat just for that would hardly be worth it so I managed to also get a bunch of other stuff done.
First up was to get the insulation in. I plan to get this on all parts of the hull but probably not this year, it's just too much work and I have to carefully divide my time up between family and work along with everything else. So to start out I put a layer of aluminum bubble wrap. At least that's essentially what it is.. but goes by names such as Reflectix or Reflecto or whatever.
I put it on with PL300, which is an adhesive safe for foam. This part isn't foam obviously, but the second layer is and I didn't want to take any chances. It's important (from all that I've read) to put on a proper bead of it around the edges. The idea is to make sure that air can't get in and out behind the insulation. This will keep the inside of the hull from "sweating" and creating the condensation that causes mold and mildew.
Here's a shot of the first section of the hull done. Essentially the part where the galley will go.
Next up is foam, 1/4" closed cell kind is sufficient for my purposes:
Same idea, glue it on, keep the air out. I had to leave that gap in the middle because there is a piece of wood there under the fiberglass. Obviously this is there to stiffen the hull a bit and give it strength and can also be used to attach things to. Handy idea.
Moving on, I put the piece of vinyl covered plywood in and attached it and fit the galley cabinet in:
A slightly different view:
Looks pretty good, fits well, no real adjustments to make. Next up was the final template for the counter top:
Due to having already worked out the angle for the most part from before, it was short work to get this bit finalized. All stapled together I loaded it into the car to cut the plywood at home. I fitted in my new plumbing/electrical hatch:
And took one final pic from the settee:
All in all I think it fits in great and is a huge improvement from the last galley. Lots more updates to come, this concludes this set of pictures though. Next up is the counter top and finishing work for the galley area in the boat along with the second part of the ceiling and related work to that.