Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
Galley idea.. a bit of input is hoped for

OK. So it's rebuild parts of the boat season now and I've made it down to the boat to check it out and take measurements and pictures and all that. One of the things that I've been looking to do for a while now is get the galley a bit more usable. Here is a picture of it currently:

and another angle:

A couple of items that I really want are:

1. A cooler/fridge/icebox. Essentially I need something that will keep my milk, meat and juice cold for more than a day or two. My idea here is to build something into the boat so I don't have to worry about a portable cooler moving around a lot and all that. All I should have to do is stick a big huge block of ice in it and then all my stuff. Nothing too fancy. Walls will be 2 inch thick urethane foam with a wrapping on the outside of that of the shiny heat radiant protector (kind of like you would have on your car windshield on a sunny day to keep the heat out).

2. More space under the stove and sink area.

So this is a crude rendering of my idea:

There will be a piece that will go over the stove so that I'll regain some counter space for dishes or whatever. I'm unsure yet how to close up the bottom area. Doors seem like they might have to be made somewhat big, I thought about sliding doors on two tracks.

Anyways, I'm also going to rebuild the shelving in the back and I'm hoping to take a lot of measurements and build most of this in the garage and then just cart it over. The thing on the right is the cooler and that will extend down lower than the rest as the part that I have there is just the area that will sit on the already built in seating area kind of thing. Hard to explain for me..

Any thoughts? Ideas? Pictures I could take reference from? I'm hoping to just get other's insight as I'm sure many have done this kind of work or refit before and whatever pitfalls or afterthoughts might be there would be very helpful.

Thanks
Graeme
Old 03-08-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Oh my goodness, the 1lb propane bottle police are going to be all over you. There was a thread here where some swore they are a complete hazard. We were discussing there use for BBQs.

In your case, you have them down below. If you are leaving them connected, you don't seem to have any of the modern safety devices, such as a shut off at the tank (not possible with these tanks) or a solenoid to shut off flow in case of fire, which would be possible to retrofit. You could and probably should add a sniffer, if you don't already have one.

While I was not able to find a single boat fire caused by these bottles, they are not as secure as a tank with a valve. They only have a ball on a spring inside. I did purchase and have already received some brass caps with a washer inside that are made to screw down on the bottle threads when not in use. Seems prudent.

Amazon.com: Mac Coupler Propane Bottle Cap 2 pack $2.99 shipping.: Sports & Outdoors

As for design, I would raise the height of the fridge top to match the rest and create even more counter space. You can always remove what you need to cook and the fridge top become counter for the entire meal prep. Once you are using your stove, you have none, it seems.

Good luck with the project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Graeme,

I like your idea, and I like the rendering. That's pretty cool. The only thing I'd change, is shucking the propane stove for an Origo un-pressurized alcohol stove.

Very safe, you can douse the flame with water in an emergency. No valves, piping or seals to fail. No crazy jets of flame when something goes wrong. The only trade off is that it takes just a couple more minutes to boil water. Their BTU's are competitive with other types of stoves.

When you build your icebox, I've found that putting your food in one of those insulated grocery bags and then putting the bag in the icebox keeps everything cold even longer than just putting it in the icebox alone.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-08-2011

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
We have an ice box and use it more as a pantry.

We plan our menus to reduce the amount of stuff that needs to be refrigerated.

For the things that need to be cold, I have a 3-way cooler (Mobicool) We run it from shore power when possible. We can run it through the batteries if we are doing a lot of motoring (it was left plugged in the first time we used it and it drained our house battery in one night.) You can run it with propane, but, as the cooler is in the cabin we don't do this.

Once de-powered the cooler keeps things cool for at least 2 days (if you plan your opening/closings well).

For our weekend getaways we find this cooler to be more than adequate. When I go off for three or four days by myself the cooler keeps my Guinness at a good temperature.

We bungy the cooler at the end of the quarter birth opposite the galley. One heavy duty shock cord into two eye-hooks keeps the cooler secure. The bungy is placed horizontally to allow access to the cooler without having to mess around with it. We have been out in some pretty big waves (3 metre) and have had some pretty big heels (45 degrees) and the cooler has remained secure.

We have used this cooler for two seasons now and still think it was a great, inexpensive, low PITA solution to keeping food cool.

For longer trips (over 3 days) we use a 5-day cooler with dry ice. With food packed strategically we have kept steaks and shrimp etc. frozen solid for over 5 days.

One of the things about the ice box is that the ice block takes up quite a bit of your storage space. You also have to drain the box into your bilge.

I hope this helps.

Dave

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 03-08-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
....The only thing I'd change, is shucking the propane stove for an Origo un-pressurized alcohol stove.

Very safe, you can douse the flame with water in an emergency. No valves, piping or seals to fail. No crazy jets of flame when something goes wrong. The only trade off is that it takes just a couple more minutes to boil water......
The other trade-off is that it can be difficult to tell that you've actually ignited alcohol, which has caused people to burn themselves, or worse, light things on fire. Propane is only marginally better, but I find the heat distortion from propane set to high to be visible, more that the flame itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-08-2011

Those are excellent suggestions, thank you very much everybody.

I'm not sure about what to do with the stove but I definitely appreciate the feedback on it. I always disconnect the propane tank when not in use so I've never worried about it leaking off all over the place. The setup came with the boat 4 years ago when I got it and I haven't had an issue with it so didn't put anymore thought into it really.

The idea to have the cooler a bit lower is to have a spot to put a drink or an elbow when sitting next to it there. I do like the idea of having more counter space though when cooking. Right behind me is the table so I've always used that until now. I somewhat liked the staggered look of the lower cooler, but for practical use it may be better to be level with the counter. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely think on that one further.

For the portable cooler idea, I've done that and I didn't like it much. Combined with the fact that the cooler didn't keep everything cool for so long (being the crap that they sell nowadays.. I guess you get what you pay for), it just looked disjointed and I always felt there was a risk of it coming undone or something and falling over in rocky waters (like going through a rough pass). In the end I thought a built in cooler would be great. The boat is only 25 feet long, so there's not that much space but it isn't bad I think.

For drainage for the cooler, I won't be putting in ice that isn't in a closed container like a milk jug. The plan is to freeze a 4 liter block of ice (or 2 depending on the trip) and as it melts I can the just pour it out to drink or whatever. With that I should only have to worry about condensation, I'll just sponge that out and leave it open to dry when the trip is over. My bilge is only 2 inches deep anyways.. not so useful for draining anything into.

Grocery bag idea is neat. Never thought of that.

Any thoughts on the type of doors or sliding doors for that large opening where I plan to store pots, dishes, food etc under the sink and stove?

I'm also going to replace the shelving behind it all, still thinking on the best layout for that too. Any suggestions for a good depth and height etc?
Old 03-08-2011

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
Just my $0.02 worth. You have some good ideas there. However, I would never store propane in the cabin areas for obvious reasons. All it takes is one defective can or valve and you have propane in the bilge. As for the cooler idea, I would run a small drain hose to the bilge area just in case an ice bag leaked. The size of sliding doors should be determined after you know the size of the largest item(s) you want to store in the space. Don't forget to post progress pics.
Old 03-08-2011

justified is on a distinguished road
My .02 cents. I think you have a good start and ideas and I have always found it helpful to talk to others....so here goes.
1. I would agree with the Origo stove they work great and I have never had a problem knowing if it is lit. They also mount flush in the counter top with a cutting board that covers it when not in use.
2. raise the fridge section up you need the counter space, you can never have enough.
3. What is the space to the left of the sink? could you also redesign that area for more counter or for your frig. or stove area with a cabinet under.
4. doors I would stay with a traditional style unless you don't have room to swing them open. sliders are good IMHO only if you don't have the swing room.
5. Fridge - where does your sink drain to? Why not run the fridge drain into it. You probably will want to seal the interior walls with something...maybe FG.
6. Shelves - doesn't look like there is a lot of space in the depth. you could lower/ scollop the front edge in the middle and it might make getting things out easier. bungees to hold things in place?
Will be interested in how things come out, post some pics of the finish work.
Peter
Old 03-08-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
What you don't find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
While I was not able to find a single boat fire caused by these bottles, they are not as secure as a tank with a valve. They only have a ball on a spring inside. I did purchase and have already received some brass caps with a washer inside that are made to screw down on the bottle threads when not in use. Seems prudent.
There aren't going to be any fires from camping stoves being used on boats. The gas, when it leaks, simply fills the bilge and the boat blows up when a spark sets it off. There is no fire.
Old 03-08-2011

A new rough render (I'll be adding to this as I have time to get more detail):

Some answers to some great questions there from justified:

1. I'm definitely going to look into it. As long as it's easy for the admiral, I don't see why I can't replace it. I don't like propane as it is, works out well.

2. Shown in render

3. It's a water tank actually, I put that in last year. Hold about 16 gallons of water. I do plan on putting a bit of counter in there too actually, it'll lift up to reveal the water tank opening and a bit of a cubby area there for stuff

4. Interesting. I put sliders in the render there for now. Semi clear so I can see inside. Not sure about it though.. just testing right now

5. Sink drains to just underneath it. The fridge would sit too low for it unfortunately. Fridge will be water tight, I'll sponge it if need be I think.

6. I have no idea what that means to scallop something. I like to eat scallops.. with butter and some garlic maybe Do you have an example to look at?

I'll definitely be posting how it goes, for now I'm in planning. I am hoping to build the whole thing in my garage as I will be doing fiberglass work too and that is just plain stinky and messy. I hated doing that for the water tank in the boat. Painting is easier on sawhorses too.