Sailing north vs south of the Ches. Bay Bridge - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-19-2003 Thread Starter

Sailing north vs south of the Ches. Bay Bridge

I am looking for waterfront property in Anne Arundel County, MD and have heard that the sailing south of the bridge is much better than north. Does anyone have an opinion? I''m looking around Bodkin Creek (at the mouth of the Patapsco River), and also the Magothy and Severn Rivers.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-19-2003

I''ve not sailed the entire length of the Chesapeake, but do sail mostly south of the Bay Bridges. South of the Potomac, the Bay gets considerably wider, and there are places where you can be beyond the sight of land - unless you climb the mast. Since the channel is rather narrow, there is considerably much more room for sailing, and there seems to be relatively fewer power boaters. Anyway, that''s my perception.

Also, there are probably just as many good places to visit in the southern Chesapeake as there are in the northern Chesapeake.

Lastly, cruising out into the Atlantic is geographically easier, but you need to avoid getting close to the many Naval bases and ships in and near the Hampton-Norfolk area.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
post #3 of 17 Old 06-19-2003

I sail out of Mill Creek off Whitehall Bay which is the first bay south of the Bridge. I have kept boats on the South River, Back and Spa Creeks as well. In a general sense there are a lot more interesting harbors south of the Bay Bridge and there is a pretty bad dead zone for several miles north of the Bay Bridge during our prevaling summer breezes. That said, the Chester River, north of the Bridge is one of my favorite cruising grounds.

Jeff
post #4 of 17 Old 06-20-2003
Senior Moment

I sail out of Rock Creek on the Patapsco, next creek above the Bodkin. It''s a pretty good area for sailing with lots of places to go for the weekend. The Chester River has loads of creeks and anchorages, and also many creeks and rivers up the western side of the Eastern Shore (Fairlee, Worton, Still Pond, Bohemia, Sassafras.) Also easy to get to Annapolis and environs.

Plus, this area is great for daysails, too. Mostly easy access to the bay with no long motoring required.

The Magothy is nice because the river is big enough to sail in if the bay proper is rough.

Only thing about the Bodkin is to make sure you have a shoal boat. The entrance is twisty and prone to shoaling, and lots of crab pots around it, too.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-20-2003

I live on the southern end of the bay up the York River. Property costs far less than half of whay you''ll pay up on the skinny end and the water is wider and less crowded. The farter north you go the more you pay.

Find a place you can afford and and just do it. Good deep water is a little harder to find but then it''s not easy any place.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-21-2003

I am an architect and most of our work is waterfront homes so I get to see a lot of real estate. I also just finished a three year period of buying and selling waterfront properties leading up to buying my own home on Mill Creek. Real estate prices are much lower in southern Anne Arundel and in Calvert Counties. I also believe that these areas are likely to experience a larger increase in property values than the more northern areas around Annapolis or Baltimore which are already proportionately higher priced.

Jeff
post #7 of 17 Old 06-23-2003 Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your comments. You''ve given me some great background and things to think about!
post #8 of 17 Old 06-25-2003

I sailed both just north and south of the bay bridge for years. Had boats on South River, lived on the Magothy, and sailed out of MD Yacht Club on Rock creek. And Kent Island. Also grew up in Oxford.
Both n & s of the bridge are viable from a sailing perspective, however, West River and South river are very nice places. Only problem with being far up South river is that it is a long way for a sailboat to get back to dock on a Sunday afternoon, with powerboats zipping by.
Magothy is also very nice.
I found St Michaels, Oxford and Annapolis favorite ports, so Rock Creek was on the northern extreme of the "good" area.
You can hardly go wrong with any of these places.
And if anyone can find "cheap" waterfront property with sailboat water, please let me know.........
post #9 of 17 Old 07-04-2003

Ahoy undecieded,unenlightened and underinsured I imagine. North is bad south is good. South of maryland altogether is even better. Pirate of Pine Island. PS East is better not west, cause I figure you''d ask that next.Pirate of Pine Island.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-07-2003

Go south, my man. Go south. The rivers and creeks are much better for sailing and gunkholing south of the bridge. I''ve sailed for many years out of the Magothy, then the Severn. I''m on Spa Creek now.

Unfortunately, the price of waterfront homes and waterfront land -- though not cheap -- is lower the more north you are of the bridge and the Magothy. It''s because the areas, IMO, are less desirable.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.