Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011
Captainpat

Ventura1922 is on a distinguished road
Bahamas registration for US Boats

Ahoy all! I heard via the watergrapevine that the Bahamian government has changed their laws about non-Bahamians registering their boats in the Bahamas. From what I understand the fee is 10% of the insured value. Anybody know any details? Is it true? How does one go about it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Don't know, but why would a non-Bahamian want to do this? I'm trying to imagine the benefit in return for a 10% of value fee.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-08-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
What you are inferring is when obtaining permanent residency status in the Bahamas not for 'visiting' (time limited) there.

I travel to Bahamas very often and all you have to do is obtain a "Cruising Permit", pay the fees, etc.
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Ba...rc=Formalities
Old 03-08-2011
Captainpat

Ventura1922 is on a distinguished road
Bahamian registration

Good question.... my thoughts for registering the boat in the Bahamas are storage, usage, cruising permits, and even "second residency" benefits offered by the Bahamian government. For example, a 35 foot older boat, insured for say 32,000 USD could be registered for a one-time only fee of $3,200. Less if you insured for less. Cruising permits are $300 for up to 6 months, each time. Various US States have different registration fees and schedules. Also if you annually cruise the Bahamas you are required to bring the boat out of the country and reenter with US fees (or other country fees) involved. Keeping the boat in the Bahamas could create a watery vacation home there. Of course there are pitfalls like anything else, but it all depends on how, or how often, where, etc. you choose to use the boat. Up to the individual.