Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
One could always keep a torch onboard. If the canister leaks when you remove it, just screw on the torch. You don't have to waste the propane that way.
If you are still worried about it you can lash it on deck where even if it leaks the fumes won't accumulate.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2011

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
the canister wasn't evil it was Neptune sending you a message about throwing things overboard
Old 03-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Why would you get rep points for recommending a dangerous procedure........
The referenced procedure above is to buy and install the safety caps. Seems you missed that point.

Yes, we now have anecdotal blog evidence that suggests these leak. Still not authoritative. Nevertheless, I have found a solution with the caps, implemented it myself and others are following it in the name of safety. Why still the grudge?

p.s. I was kidding about the rep points, which is the purpose of the big smiley afterward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-09-2011
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Maybe I'm just too darn simple but I store my 1# propane bottles in the anchor locker, which drains overboard. Am I missing something?
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 03-09-2011
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
Maybe I'm just too darn simple but I store my 1# propane bottles in the anchor locker, which drains overboard. Am I missing something?
No, you have it right. I've heard of anchor locker, PVC pipe holder attached to the rail or, as we do, keep it in the bbq grill which is attached to the stern rail - the key being to keep it outside the boat in the event of a leak. I ordered the caps because it looks like some good secondary insurance, plus will prevent the cannister from emptying out before the next bbq! I wish we had propane installed, but we don't, alcohol stove and Dickinson bbq on the rail with the portable tanks.
Old 03-09-2011

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
Uhhh no. 1Lb canister, partially used cooking dinner. Leaking into the atmosphere (read as immediate dispersal), no source of ignition.....so where is the anxiety? How much trouble do we have lighting the grill when there is some wind? And that's trying to ignite it! I would have looked at the thing, cursed it for lost fuel and $$ and as mentioned by someone else put it on the grill, re-ignite and clean it.
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Oh hell, in situations like this, my usual solution starts with the incantation "Hold my beer..."

Old 03-09-2011

BBrut is on a distinguished road
The best southern way to remedy this situation is to toss the sucker overboard, grab your trust AK-47 or M-16 and blow the sinister little can to HE--! Gotta keep the gun sighted in for boarders.hehehe
Old 03-09-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Quote:
Yes, we now have anecdotal blog evidence that suggests these leak. Still not authoritative. Nevertheless, I have found a solution with the caps, implemented it myself and others are following it in the name of safety. Why still the grudge
?

If it looks like a duck...walks like a duck...quacks like a duck...tastes like a duck..I guess anectdotally it may only probabaly be a duck unless of course you find its picture in a journal of Ornithology. Then of course thats authoritative...but both are correct.. its a duck **:**)

No grudge at all...didnt miss your cap point either. Band-aid solutions just do not appeal to me. I prefer to fix things the correct way. Would hate to see someone try a band aid solution that really did not work in the long run.

Let BBQ together this summer when we are up in the area unless you get down to the Chesapeake first..

Quack,,,Quack

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-09-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
......Quack,,,Quack
The only duck I see, is the stubborn one that won't accept a solution other than their own. Somehow, when you screw a valve closed, that seems smarter than screwing a cap on a bottle. Give a little, its liberating.

I'm also certain that I have better knife and saute skills than you as well.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.