Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
I don't understand why no one has suggested the obvious solution:

You should have a length of steel pipe with a 4" bore mounted on a swivel on your foredeck.

Next time you have a leaking canister, load it into the breach, aim at a passing stinkpot or PWC and spark 'er up. (If any other suitable target does not present itself porpoises or dolphins make challenging ones).

Fire in the hole!

Disclaimer - the preceding post was made in jest. If any person should feel offended by the previous remarks it is strongly recommended that you assume the 'safety position':

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I like the comfort of the y valve closed as well as the valve on the top of the large propane tank, not to mention the releif valve on the large propane tank. Triple threat protection. Yes I am stubborn when it comes to safety. There are no shortcuts or bandaids allowed.

BTW, I am an environmentalist, a real tree hugger and dont like leaving a trail of mini unrecyclable 1 lb units in landfills, So even if it wasnt a safety issue and it is, it is wastefull on the other account.

Mirror mirror on the wall....who's the foolish one of all. Kaboom ( thats the cap blowing off your one lb bomb).

All in good fun...hahah, Stay safe and fair winds

If we had a knife contest..lets say we do it blindfolded with something simple like carrots and onions...would I have to reserve you a room in the emergency ward of the local hospital in addition I would like your blood type as well so we can call the local Red Cross to have a few pints vailable at the ready

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-09-2011

haha welshman...good one

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-09-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
Maybe I'm just too darn simple but I store my 1# propane bottles in the anchor locker, which drains overboard. Am I missing something?
Do you have a windlass or any other electrical equipment in the locker? Is the locker sealed gas-tight from the cabin?

If these are not true, that is a very bad idea.

I'm lucky; my boat is designed with a separate drained and sealed locker for gas cans and small propane bottles. Should be standard for any boat that can carry a tender with a motor.

And yet, if I detected a leaker, I would keep it on deck, probably on the sugar scoop (low spot) until MT.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Last edited by pdqaltair; 03-09-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2011
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Do you have a windlass or any other electrical equipment in the locker? Is the locker sealed gas-tight from the cabin?

If these are not true, that is a very bad idea.
No to any electrical equipment in anchor locker. Yes to gas-tight seal into cabin. Yes too to low point overboard drain in anchor locker.

All good points though.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 03-09-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
No to any electrical equipment in anchor locker. Yes to gas-tight seal into cabin. Yes too to low point overboard drain in anchor locker.

All good points though.
Good to hear.

Please understand I had to say those things, because I have seen 20-pound bottles in with a windlass, switches, and ventilation to the cabin.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 03-10-2011

Tree is on a distinguished road
I've had the experience of these 1 lb propane bottles leaking. And it's happened more than once! Never store them in the cabin or in a locker that vents into the hull.

A short piece of 4" PVC with a PVC cap glued on one end (bottom) with a 1/2 inch hole drilled in it (to vent) and a rubber cap for the top works great. A little white Rustoleum "plastic" OK paint makes it look a little less like something off a redneck boat. Then just hose clamp it to your stern pulpit. The right length of PVC can hold 3 or 4 bottles.
Old 03-10-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I like the comfort of the y valve closed as well as the valve on the top of the large propane tank, not to mention the releif valve on the large propane tank. Triple threat protection. Yes I am stubborn when it comes to safety. There are no shortcuts or bandaids allowed.
Yet you leave your entire boat charged with propane gas, while you BBQ in the cockpit. Let's stop the sanctimony. If you were as risk adverse as you're trying to preach, you would swap propane off your boat altogether. And, your Y-valve has increased your risk in some circumstances.

Quote:
BTW, I am an environmentalist, a real tree hugger and dont like leaving a trail of mini unrecyclable 1 lb units in landfills, So even if it wasnt a safety issue and it is, it is wastefull on the other account.
More sanctimony. You are burning fossil fuel to cook, nice try.

And, they are recyclable, its the steel recyclers that won't accept them. I would fine to require use of the pins to hold the valve open when disposing, which is necessary to recycle them. Further, the steel itself will rust and decay fairly quickly, if not recycled, so they are not any more an environmental hazard than the burning of the fuel itself.

Quote:
Mirror mirror on the wall....who's the foolish one of all. Kaboom ( thats the cap blowing off your one lb bomb).

All in good fun...hahah, Stay safe and fair winds
Cute. I suppose that possibility will be supported with some blog anecdotes too. I looked up a study done by Boat US of actual boat fires. None from these small cylinders. You already know that. When we looked up your anecdotal evidence of a 1lb propane bottle fire, the papers said it was an engine fire. That's the problem with blog anecdotes.

Apparently, you are also unaware that the 1lb cylinders have a pressure relief valve as well and the Department of Transportation has to certify them to be in the back of a hot delivery truck crossing the desert. Your tank is not permitted to be transported by commercial carrier when it's full.

Let's just say, you have your opinion, somewhat short on facts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-10-2011

Minne,

Not short on facts....just short on agreement. Obviously by your comments as well as your PM to me you can not or have never had to deal with someone not seeing your way. You minimize all who have "blogged" on here about their 1 lb cannisters leaking. You hide behind some kind of anectdotal evidence you looked up online, but when presented with the truth by people who have experienced it firsthand you minimize that and try and negate their experiences. The 1 lbs leak.....they leak after use sometimes. People store them inside closed areas vrs large propane tanks in vented propane lockers. Thats where this all started with the safety issue. You even admitted yourself you store your whole grill,,,lb tank and all in a lazarette.

Quote:
Department of Transportation has to certify them to be in the back of a hot delivery truck crossing the desert. Your tank is not permitted to be transported by commercial carrier when it's full.

Who cares about transporting cannisters accross the dessert? Thats really relevant.

Of course it is not eco friendly to burn the fossil fuel. Guilty as charged. But when I do its in a refillable container, something you do not address, and certainly that is using less resources than the throwaways you use...or are you going to tell me now for the first time you refill them.

Your cap idea is a band-aid not a solution. I know people will choose to beleive whatever they find the most logical or economical. My comments are that if you must use the 1 lb for your BBQ are..do it safely, store them safely like they may leak (cause they do). I have presented an alternative we have built on our boat which I beleive is safer. Do you REALLY have an issue with that?

Your issue appears to more of a personal one with me....something I cannot help you with. With regards to calling my opinions sanctimonious...mine are just the humble opinions of a concerned boater.

Please fly a danger burgee when I am up in the Narraganset Bay this summer. I promise to anchor far away so as not to get caught up in the explosion.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-10-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2011

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
I've had them do the same thing, I just poke a nail or similar and reseat the valve, if I couldn't get it to stop I'd bleed it out over the side, I store them in the 'pit, will be adding a PVC holder soon, the main propane tanks are in a sealed locker with a vent, but with 2 six pounders in there there is no room for the 1# ers, I'm one that refills the 1#ers, need to get the outboard to run on propane someday, I'd rather have propane then gasoline onboard. Propane in the bilge will go boom/woof depending on how much then go out, gasoline will go boom/woof and then keep burning.