Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Minne,

Not short on facts....just short on agreement. Obviously by your comments as well as your PM to me you can not or have never had to deal with someone not seeing your way.
I've amended my practice and installed safety caps, based on our previous discussion. I'm the only one of us that has accepted input. At the least, you should install your y-valve before the solenoid so your entire boat isn't charged while you are occupied above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I agree with that and will look into switching my set up as there is no need to have the whole system charged. I have to make sure I do not need the regulator to step down the pressure as I think it does to the grill. Thats the original reason I installed it the way I did. All this take place in my propane locker BTW.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-11-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Not to “fan the flames”, but I’d like to share a couple of my personal experiences. I have used both the 1# bottles as well as tapping off the boat’s main propane cylinder. My difficulties with the main cylinder on my last two boat’s is there wasn’t enough room to tap in a hose and permanently store it there. I wound up taking the hose off after every BBQ use, bleeding lines etc. The other problem was the hose had to be strung “daisy chain” from the cylinder to BBQ, making for a tripping hazard. Then finally, the hatch to the prop locker has to be propped open while in use. On the other hand, I have had the 1# cylinders leak so I too, went the threaded cap route. Frankly, I’m a bit surprised that those bottles aren’t sold with a threaded cap, just the plastic dust cover. I like the portability of the 1# bottles as we have taken the BBQ to the beach, used it on picnic benches and various sundry dock parties.

Now, my real life experiences with propane… My dock neighbor had his 20# propane cylinder permanent plumbed to his stern mounted BBQ. One night, we are sitting in our boat and we hear a hissing sound and discover his 20# bottle leaking and will not stop by closing the valve. The neighbor is long gone, the thing is venting like crazy. We call the harbormaster on the telephone and even before he comes down, he calls Alameda FD. They come sirens blazing. We get evacuated and they chop power to the dock. After rolling out hoses, they move the cylinder to the end of the dock, open the valve and let it fully vent. After about an hour, they let us back to the boat. Our boat neighbor was pissed at us because the FD confiscated the cylinder and he told us “when that happens, just put a big wrench on the valve”. Now, that is a band-aid solution if I have ever heard one.

Have you guys ever driven the back way to Yosemite? Ever heard of Priest Grade? Priest was the original gold miners trail up to Big Oak Flat/Groveland. Even though it was paved during the depression, it is steep, treacherous, few guard rails with cliffs on one side and eternity on the other. It has big billboard signs on both ends forbidding trucks, trailers, and RVs. There is a new Priest Grade, but it is four times longer and much slower due to all the traffic. Once, some kook in an RV decided that he could drive down it so he made the turn off. In short order, he burned out his brakes and transmission. How he kept the thing on the road and not plunging into the canyon is beyond me. He was both lucky and good insomuch as he was able to get the left side wheels in the up slope drainage ditch and using the side of the RV as a brake against the embankment. We happened upon him very shortly thereafter. His brakes caught the wild oat grass on fire and fortunately, there wasn’t enough vegetation on the embankment to start a forest fire. It was enough to catch the RV on fire though. Unfortunately, by that time there were more cars behind us so we couldn’t back up so we got a front row seat to the conflagration. First observation: RVs don’t blow up in real life like in Hollywood. They just burn real intensely. The roof quickly burned off and the sides acted like a chimney. There were tremendous explosions when the tires cooked off which at first, we thought was the prop or gas tank, but it did it six times. The gas tank never exploded it just leaked gas that got burnt in the fire. The most amazing thing was the propane tank. It would get super heated causing the pressure relief valve to open. The result was a big whoosh and flame like a blow torch through the center of the RV. It did this multiple times until the propane was all burnt off. Meanwhile, the Forest Service fire truck had to drive all the way up new priest from Moccasin and down the old grade so we got to watch the RV burn completely down to chassis and engine block.

Being fog and wind bound a fair amount of time in San Francisco, we don’t use our BBQ like normal Catalina owners are supposed to, so a 1# bottle lasts us a year unless we spend a couple of weeks in the Delta. We found out that although propane is relatively cheep in Mexico, these 1# bottles are crazy expensive. I saw this ad on amazon, and I am interested other’s opinions.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 03-11-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2011

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
GeorgeB
I have one of those fittings, just make sure you don't overfill them, as you can keep refilling them just wait till it starts to slow down will be about half full. then there is less to leak out too.
Old 03-12-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Rec I heaved it as far from us as I could. Problem solved........or so I thought. A bit later, Thump, Thump, WTF? I look down, the tide has changed and it has returned bumping the side of my boat. JEEZUS!
What goes around.....

LOL

You should have disposed of it correctly: Lit the leaking bit and then chucked it.

Old 03-12-2011

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
I think the reason the little tanks valve got stuck in the open position, is because it was removed from the barbecue too soon after being used. If it were left on until the temperature of the valve had had gotten closer to ambient, I don't think there would have been a problem. This has happened to me as well, and since I have adopted this procedure, I have not had the another leak. But just for kicks I repeated the scenario of removing the tank right after a 3/4 hour burn, tank was ice cold and sure enough, I had a leaker. I simply reattached it to the regulator, and left it. 45 minutes later, no leak when disconnected. Of course this would be somewhat irrelevant if there were debris in the fitting when you connect the tank. But that would be operator error.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 03-12-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
Why take the tank off in the first place? If you run the BBQ enough, you'll soon run out anyways. Those little one pounders don't really give you a lot of cooking time.

When it's empty, dispose of or refill as you see fit. Take your pick. Somewhere along the line someone will have a problem with something you do anyways. Do what makes you happy, and try not to blow up someone else's junk.
Old 03-12-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Here are the permanent solutions to leaky propane canisters:

Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-02-2011

Rangernewell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rangernewell
Im not sure why you would throw these out ...THEY ARE REFILLABLE....I refill all my little 1 pound canisters....If your worried,,, put the cap on it or just leave it attached to the BBQ...
Old 04-03-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I have reconfigured our set up today following minnewaskas recommendation (kind of).

I put the attachment for the grill on the propane bottle I am not using inside the boat, which is in the opposite propane locker.

I beleive he setup is even safer now. I am still a non beleiver in the safety of the small propane bombs as too many have the needles stuck open ( for what ever reason.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner