Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011

honucruiser is on a distinguished road
Good boat plans

I have been working with wood all of my life so far and im finnaly ready to build myself a sailboat. I have been searching the internet for good designs but have yet to find one that is what im looking for, i need your help.

Im looking to build a wood boat in the 25 foot range with plenty of room to bring along a few friends and spend a weekend or so out. the boat doesnt have to be a speedster or anything though i do love the lines of the old racers. does any body have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2011

drrico is on a distinguished road
I don't have enough posts to enter links, but try woodenboat.com and glen-l.com. Both are interesting and informative, IMO

I am not a boat builder, but I love to look at the designs and the completed boats. A well kept wooden boat sure is beautiful.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2011

honucruiser is on a distinguished road
thanks for the links woodenboat.com has alot of different designs i cant wait to check them out once i get home!
Old 03-10-2011
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
heres a good site www.svensons.com - Free Boat Plans From "Science and Mechanics" Magazines
the gypsie looks like it would do nicely

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Welcome to Sailnet!
Wooden boat forum is a good place to hang out if your going to build.. It would help to know what type of sailboat, use, type of build you want to try.

Stitch and glue plywood is easy and super strong.

strip building = good for smaller boats.

cold planking; glued up veneers diagonal grain layup

traditional = ribs and planks, carvel is flat planks with seams caulked and payed, lapstrake looks like house siding.

Food for thought; the cost of outfitting the boat, rigging, sails, plumbing electric.. etc are often over looked and one reason so many unfinished wooden Dream boats are never launched.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I would suggest that even the simpliest boat design takes a serious investment of time and money to build. Almost always you can buy and restore a similar sized boat for less than it costs to build one. If you intend to build a boat, then the process of building needs to be a labor of love and not just an imagined economic measure.

And if you are going to build a boat, then I would respectfully suggest that you pick the best boat design that you can, even if buying the design is considerably more expensive because even a seemingly expensive set of drawings represents a very small portion of the cost of building a boat. And with a good design you will end up with a good boat that has some real value at the end of the process.

While many of the historic designs are fun to look at and nearly free, these boats are very expensive and time consuming to build, are much higher maintenance, and require a wide range of archaic skills and hard to obtain materials as compared to the better designs for modern wooden construction. There are inexpensive sources for designs like GlenL and Roberts, but by and large their designs are dated. A huge amount has been learned about hullforms and building techniques in the past 30-40 years. This results in boats that are easier to build, and which are more seaworthy, comfortable, and sail better. If you are only building a very simple boat then Glen L and Roberts are probably not the best way to go.

Many of the top design firms in the world offer designs for amateur builders. Firms like Van deStadt and Farr for example offer a number of very nice 25 foot designs. There are also firms which specialize in designs for amatuer builders. Of these, personally I like the work of designer Dudley Dix. Boat plans, yacht designs & boat kits from Dudley Dix Yacht Design & Boat Plans

His work walks a nicely balanced line in terms of being creatively conceived, technically sound, and with details which are well thought through and clearly documented.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-11-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-10-2011

genieskip is on a distinguished road
Bruce Roberts has some interesting designs at BRUCE ROBERTS OFFICIAL WEB SITE boat plans & kits for steel, aluminum, fiberglass, wood epoxy boats
Thirty years ago when I was semi seriously entertaining thoughts of building my own boat I liked his designs and almost bought one for a 25 footer. I don't know how much his plans have evolved in the interveningyears but it is definitely worth a look.
Old 03-10-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I think I have 10 or so sites with plans in my favorite area. Fun to look at upon occasion. I've been mostly looking for dinghys.....

But with that in mind. I have built two boats as a teen from Glen-L, step dad built the 21CB from a frame kit. ALL had great directions etc. This was back in the early to mid 70's.

Clarkcraft is another similar to Glen L with MANY plans. Ken hankensons plans are availible thru Glen L too. Woodenboat as you say has many.

Not sue if you can find plans from ________ dang it, can not remember the name, out of Vancouver BC, did a redesign of the Sea Bird yawl in Rudder before they went kaput. Step dad launched a version two summers ago he spent some 30 yrs building..... yes that is correct.....30 yrs.

Anyway, if building the boat is the key, go for it. If sailing is the bag. buy a used one! It will take longer than one thinks, and probably cost more than buying and repairing along with way. Unless you get a setup like Charlie and Lady J..... then again, it could sail, now he has her looking pretty good. or is Lady J the one he was paid to fix?

marty