SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Why they call them "foulies" (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/72702-why-they-call-them-foulies.html)

Quickstep192 03-10-2011 05:48 PM

Why they call them "foulies"

My foul weather gear has developed a foul smell. I sprayed the jacket with febreze; it seemed to work, but when the jacket gets wet, it still stinks. I thought of throwing it in the washing machine, but I'm worried I'd wash out the waterproofness. Any ideas?

ejjawhite 03-10-2011 06:09 PM

Foul Foulies

I would soak the offending clothing in vinegar. Then a while later, rinse with fresh water, throw it in the washing machine with a little bleach.
If there is visible black mold, then you may want to use a mildew remover, rinse, then do the vinegar thing...

Tim R. 03-10-2011 06:10 PM

Wash it good according to the directions and retreat. A local outdoor store should be able to help you or look up the care instructions on the companies website.

jackdale 03-10-2011 06:15 PM

I wash mine (HH and Gill) in a front loader and hang to dry. No soap or softener.

JaredC 03-10-2011 06:43 PM

Make sure it's nice and dry, and stick it in the freezer for a few days. Really.

liveincolor 03-10-2011 09:35 PM

A trick us surfers use for our neoprene wetsuits that can become absolutely rancid (not sure if it's proper for your gear, but worth mentioning):

5 Gal. bucket filled with warm water. Add dish soap, laundry detergent, and mouthwash (for the bacteria). Hand wash, and let soak. Hang dry.

De/Funk/ify Your Wetsuit | SURFLINE.COM

flyingwelshman 03-10-2011 09:45 PM

for my neoprene wetsuit I soak in a big tub with warm water and anti bacterial dishsoap, then rinse and air dry. It does the trick.

Last time I used a citrus-scented soap. I smelled really orangy when diving with the sharks last week!

Dive shops sell stuff call "Sink The Stink". It works well on wetsuits. It would probably do a good job on foulies as well.

JoeDiver 03-10-2011 10:00 PM

I use a product on my wetsuits called "Sink The Stink"....it has enzymes in it that eat the little microscopic critters that are rotting and causing the smell. Just a 20 minutes soak in the tub, air dry (no rinse) and good to go. Get it at most dive shops.

(as stated above)

liveincolor 03-10-2011 10:19 PM

"Sink the Stink" is a product of capitalist ideology (not an attack on the capitalists, just saying...) I'm much more enthused by creating my own concoction with typical household ingredients that work just as well, and cost much less.

JoeDiver 03-11-2011 12:46 AM

I guess expensive is relative. I got a big bottle of it for $6 and it's taken me through 3 seasons so far. Can't even get a pack of smokes for $6 in many places these days. I probably have $6 in change in my car, between the glove box, center console and shifter console.....while I like to do my own things and home made concoctions, I do have a limit on expense versus convenience. Just sayin.