SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Night sailing - Glen Cove to Stamford, CT and return (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/72709-night-sailing-glen-cove-stamford-ct-return.html)

Bene505 03-10-2011 09:54 PM

Night sailing - Glen Cove to Stamford, CT and return

I'm planning 2 night sails. Glen Cove to Stamford on Thursday 3/17/11 at 8:00 PM. Staying at Brewers Marina in Stamford. I'll be working on my laptop all day Friday, so will be staying at the dock. Then returning Saturday very early morning (before dawn).

If anyone wants to join, please let me know.

Regards,
Brad

paulk 03-12-2011 06:58 AM

You finding girls in Stamford for the rest of the crew, too? ;)

Bene505 03-18-2011 01:46 AM

Arrived safe in Stamford awhile ago. It was an excellent night. Light winds, sailed wing-on-wing much of the way across and up the sound. Solo. It was incredibly warm tonight. Saw a couple tugs pushing barges, but neither was near me. Kept a good watch with binoculars all the way.

The marina is empty, so I had my pick of slips. I docked on an end in the deepest water slip they have, but then move over one slip so I can tie lines off on both side of the boat. We are expecting gusts to 40 tomorrow and I don't want the boat rubbing on the fenders all day.

Plan is to work tomorrow (on my laptop) and then sail back after midnight. Looks like the front will pass by before then.

Stamford really is a good destination for me from Glen Cove. The approach is very interesting. You keep a flashing white light centered on a steady-ish red light and that takes you most of the way in, staying in the channel.

The marina's wifi is with the same provider, so my logon at the other Brewers worked here fine.

Regards,
Brad

Bene505 03-18-2011 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulk (Post 708054)
You finding girls in Stamford for the rest of the crew, too? ;)

No girls involved. Sailing.

Regards,
Brad

Bene505 03-22-2011 02:43 PM

I guess this sail went by with hardly a notice here on SN. Had a great solo sail back with some motoring. Got in about 3:00 AM on Saturday.

The moon was nearing a super full moon, since it's so close in it's orbit to the earth. I spotted something in the moonlight. It turned out to be a floating cooler. After fetching it, I noticed it was pretty dirty, faded but otherwise in good condition. Didn't clean it up yet, since I was getting pretty tired by the time everthing was secured.

Regards,
Brad

CalebD 03-22-2011 04:44 PM

The extra close full moon on the Sound must have been great.

Good for you.

eckcn17 03-22-2011 05:03 PM

I would've joined ya if I was anywhere near you!!

Thanks for the reading sounds fun!

Bene505 03-22-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 711744)
The extra close full moon on the Sound must have been great.

Good for you.

Caleb,

It was amazingly bright. Almost like daylight, once you get used to it.

Regards,
Brad

HUGOSALT 03-22-2011 11:46 PM

Brad, I noticed your post/sail...wanted to contact you
but had both business and personal obligations. Will continue in the future to work on correcting my priorities!
Happy you were able to enjoy that Great moon on the water.
Best, Hugo

bljones 03-23-2011 12:05 AM

A great night sail and bonus salvage! Excellent!