Needing Apehanger Helm

+1 on that CD , it isnt looking good for Japan

There is no right way to do the wrong thing
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 69 Old 03-11-2011
Quirky

And just when we think we rule the world, mother nature shows us who is really in charge.

This post is made from recycled electrons

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
post #13 of 69 Old 03-11-2011
PCP

The number of victims in Japan are amazingly low. This is one of the biggest earthquakes ever. On the Portuguese television they were in direct with a Brazilian that was talking about the effects when his little girl come home. All the kids were sent home. the little girl come in with a little funny helmet on his head. Apparently they have helmets in the school for all the children. Impressive.

The number of victims had increased a lot. An entire train is missing supposedly taken away by a giant wave

They are afraid of more replicas.

My soul is with them.

Paulo
post #14 of 69 Old 03-11-2011

The pictures of some of the devastation in Japan are quite impressive. My heart goes out to those affected.

1985 C&C 37
Neptune Beach FL
post #15 of 69 Old 03-11-2011

Japan is indeed quite a mess, and I feel for the people affected. But the "tsunami" that hit hawaii was way over hyped. CNN is reporting (with video) 7' waves. I believe that place is known for surfing, which generally has larger waves than that. But according to the media reports, 7' waves are HUGE!

1979 Gulfstar 37 Laissez Faire
post #16 of 69 Old 03-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
Japan is indeed quite a mess, and I feel for the people affected. But the "tsunami" that hit hawaii was way over hyped. CNN is reporting (with video) 7' waves. I believe that place is known for surfing, which generally has larger waves than that. But according to the media reports, 7' waves are HUGE!
The difference between a seven foot wave and a seven foot tsunami is like walking up the knoll behind your home and climbing Everest.

There is generally not much to smile about when tsunami comes ashore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #17 of 69 Old 03-11-2011
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
Tsunamis are not like regular (wind) waves. A 7 ft tsunami, particularly one hitting at high tide, could cause quite a mess in low-lying coastal areas.

Never forget them. Do something to prevent it from happening again.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 03-11-2011 at 11:06 AM.
post #18 of 69 Old 03-11-2011

Perhaps you can explain to me how these 7' waves can be more dangerous than any other 7' waves? If it was 7' on the open ocean, then yeah that would be a big problem, but if it's 7' after it has compressed in shallow water, it shouldn't be any worse than any other 7' wave. The tsunami waves they're showing on the news look no different than normal waves (obviously I'm talking about the ones in hawaii. the video from japan is showing a much bigger, more destructive wave).

1979 Gulfstar 37 Laissez Faire
post #19 of 69 Old 03-11-2011

A friend in S cal on he water front is seeing a surge beginning, about 1' a minute, hopefully not too big, altho the tide is down 6', another 18" to the house............

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #20 of 69 Old 03-11-2011

hello all, i'm living in tokyo japan. today was the scariest day of my life. but i can say i survived one of the most powerful earthquakes in history which is neato. i was sure i was going to die and i'm no coward, i've felt big quakes before but this was something else and i was just waiting for the intensity to increase and destroy my building.

anyway, the difference between a 7 foot swell that surfers ride and a 7 foot tsunami is that a tsunami rushes in and continues to rise, anything that is under that 7 feet will be submerged. the tsunami will travel inland for miles as long as the ground is under 7 feet above normal sea level.

in sendai, the area hit hardest by the quake and tsunami they were hit by a 32 foot tsunami.

don't be fooled by the images. there are hundreds or thousands of dead so far. but it's the middle of the night and we are still experiencing tsunamis from the aftershocks which have been incessant since 3pm when the big one hit.

i have friends up in sendai and aomori, i hope they are ok but can't reach them.

my building is still shaking as i type this from the aftershocks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.