Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2003

ficht is on a distinguished road
MOORING OFF ICW

I have our 37 Irwin anchored out of the channel in a no wake zone, east central Florida since october 2002. Now the local municipality states I''m violating a local ordinate. This ordinate prohibits mooring longer than 10 days. My question is do they have the authority of this federal waterway where i moor our vessel? I''ve spoke with C.G. and county authority and they don''t have a any concerns. The vessel has a anchor light and I''m out there on it 3 to 4 times a week. Does any one have experience regarding issues like this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road
MOORING OFF ICW

A lot of towns in Florida have passed laws or made regulations aimed at keeping transients.... transient. If you want to stay moored there, they figure, you should be paying them a mooring fee and/or using one of their facilities or areas designated for that. (If they don''t have them, they DON''T want you using them). With the current economy,the "tax cut","no-one left behind" unfunded mandates and "security" foisting costs on to local jurisdictions all over the country, towns are looking at every revenue stream they can find. Fat-cat boat owners (especially those who don''t live in town!) are prime targets. Something to think about next time you vote.
Old 06-21-2003

MOORING OFF ICW

P.S.
To find out about jurisdiction, a better approach might be to ask the town under what authority they''re acting. If they can''t tell you precisely, it may be because they''re pushing the envelope, or it may be because it''s a big hodgepodge. In our small harbor there is a Federal Channel that the US Army Corps won''t issue a dredging permit for until the State signs off on it, with moorings (!) regulated by the town. Who controls what is measured down to the inch.
Old 06-21-2003

ficht is on a distinguished road
MOORING OFF ICW

Some addition facts. We are not transient. We are residents,tax paying,small business owners in this town. Seems that the waterfront residents are bothered about the where we are anchored. The local marina is full and has a lengthy waiting for permanent slips available. I don''t think its about fees or lost ability for this town to collect income, because it would not be cost effective for them. Thanks for your opinion.
Old 06-22-2003

MOORING OFF ICW

Sounds like you''re between the rock and the other place with this mooring. A conversation with your municipal representative sounds like it would be in order, so he or she will push for more marina slips. (Then, when you get one, you have to pay for it, of course...) Your lawyer (you?) can research the jurisdiction question further. It would make sense to look up other cases in Florida where this has been an issue. In the meantime, to be in compliance with the law, you may have to pull your mooring every ten days and move it twenty feet. Boat US might be worth contacting for their take on this as well, since they do focus on regulatory issues. Not fun- and with running a business you can''t just go off cruising - which would solve the problem. Sorry can''t be more helpful.
Old 06-23-2003

fourknots is on a distinguished road
MOORING OFF ICW

Any chance this is in Titusville?