Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I hear if you drink too much beer, and don't pee frequently enough, you will actually levitate on that day.

White Sands, NM would be the place to see that moon!
As St Patrick,s Day, a weekend event here in Dublin coincides, I,ll let you know, assuming I come back down.
Safe sailing
Old 03-13-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Levitating

I must be the odd ball; sprawled on the floor and can't get up
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Cool! thanks for the heads up!
Ha! Guess what the forecast for Saturday presently is?

We're scheduled to haul out next week, so I'm really rooting that everyone in PNW gets a TERRIFIC view!

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Sounds great! I'm looking forward to experiencing this. I got up at an early hour in December for the lunar eclipse, and it was great, too. (Of course, I also got up to see Halley's Comet in '86, so I must be into this stuff.)
Old 03-14-2011
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Maybe now those lunar panels I bought from that fast talking salesman will work.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-21-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Thanks, hope we get a break in the clouds that night. I checked the tide tables and strangely there don't seem to be any unusually high or low tides around that time here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
Not sure if I understand tides the best but when you have a full moon the sun is on the other side of the earth so your tides will not be as high as when the moon and sun are on the same side.

Courtecy: digitaljournal.com Ships run aground off UK coast as supermoon blamed for low tides

A cargo ship is one of five vessels to have run aground in sandbanks off the Isle of Wight in the south coast of England on Sunday. It would appear the moon's close proximity to earth over the weekend is directly to blame.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency confirmed that a large tidal range caused by the close proximity of the moon could well have been a factor in the vessels grounding. The Paula-C, a 295ft-long cargo vessel, became grounded in sandbanks near the Needles on Sunday, during the lowest tide seen in years. The crew had to pump out water from its ballast to make the vessel lighter and wait until high tide set them free. No one was injured.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 03-21-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We had a crystal clear night and it was impressive! Always neat to check out a full moon with binoculars - this one was clear and bright indeed.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-22-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We had a crystal clear night and it was impressive! Always neat to check out a full moon with binoculars - this one was clear and bright indeed.
If you make a point of keeping an eye on the sky at full moon time, you will find that 99% of full moon nights have a crystal clear sky.

There are people that believe (and I have found it hard to dispute) that there is enough moisture in the atmosphere for it to be considered tidal.

I have been watching the full moon phenomenon for some time now and it is almost uncanny how even heavily clouded skies clear when the moon is full.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke