How many sailors all around the world? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-14-2011 Thread Starter

How many sailors all around the world?

Hi all!

I am currently doing a small research job regarding sailing industry. I am looking for basic stats about how many people sail in the world(recreational, racing etc).

For example, for UK I found this brilliant report http://www.britishmarine.co.uk/uploa...report2010.pdf

My personal approximation is about 10M+ people all around the world.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited by Irbiz; 03-15-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-14-2011
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

All right, guys and gals, count off:

ONE

Saltwater Suzi and Cap'n Larry

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-14-2011

Wink

TWO

Been working on the Oceans all my adult life. You may want to separate the catagories between Amatur and Professional. And those two can be broken down further. For in Professional you have: Ocean, Inland, Lakes, for areas. Then Freighters, tankers, Cruise ships, Oil field, Tugs, Fishing, Military, and so forth. And some of those have separate catagories also.
The Amaturs have about a dozen or so separate catagories also.
So have fun figuring out where to place us.
Me? Professional... And have sailed on just about everything... Had a wide and varied Sea going career and now an Instructor for those who want their Professional USCG Licenses.

1600 Ton Master, 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
post #4 of 10 Old 03-14-2011

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irbiz View Post
How many sailors all around the world?

I am currently doing a small research job regarding sailing industry. I am looking for basic stats about how many people sail in the world(recreational, racing etc).

I guess you havent asked how many sailors sail around the world... vis a vie circumnavigating... Thats fun! Not so many, but lots when you're out there Nice people too

In the world.... as in how many sail regularly. Too many to get to know.

Three

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #5 of 10 Old 03-14-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

I would think you could obtain this information from various registration agencies, but you may have to pay a fee if you want detailed information on the registered owners. Some state agencies actually sell these lists, charging a fee for each name in a specific category.

Good Luck,

Gary
post #6 of 10 Old 03-14-2011

You might also be able to get some stats (for the US) from BoatUS.

1979 Gulfstar 37 Laissez Faire
post #7 of 10 Old 03-14-2011
Lake Sailor

Four

Umquam Porro

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

post #8 of 10 Old 03-14-2011
ancient mariner

FIVE ! really, how would you be able to count all ?

Liberals are people who care about others. Freethinkers are not constrained by the myths of religion.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-14-2011
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE

That's one for me, and one each for my wife and kids. Do not forget that boats registered to sailors is going to not be a direct correlation.

From the way the question was worded, it looks like you are looking for people who sail sail boats, rather then just sailors? IE a guy on an aircraft carrier is a sailor, but not a sail boat sailor....

How often do you need to sail to be counted. Once a year on a friends boat? 6 times a year? That one summer in college with your buddies on a lake?

More clarification is needed, but then we still won't be able to help you out much!

S/V Lilo
1964 Islander 32
Saint Helens, OR
post #10 of 10 Old 03-15-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderGuy View Post
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE

That's one for me, and one each for my wife and kids. Do not forget that boats registered to sailors is going to not be a direct correlation.

From the way the question was worded, it looks like you are looking for people who sail sail boats, rather then just sailors? IE a guy on an aircraft carrier is a sailor, but not a sail boat sailor....

How often do you need to sail to be counted. Once a year on a friends boat? 6 times a year? That one summer in college with your buddies on a lake?

More clarification is needed, but then we still won't be able to help you out much!
1) Talking about 'sail' I mean people who use sailboats =).

2) Of cause nobody can tell this amount very presize. However, I think it is possible to make rough calculations. That what I'm looking for. For example, I know that in my local area 500 sailboats and 3000 active sailors. The ratio is 6 salors per boat. That means, that if in other area 50 000 sailboats, there would we approximately 300 000 sailor.

Something like that....

Crew profile:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.