Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
A daily draw of 75-amps would be a serious amount of power drain to any battery. Take a close look at the chart posted above, then add up the current drain of the items that you would normally use. From the information you posted on your current batteries, they'll probably be just fine unless you use an auto-pilot extensively during rough weather. Most anchor lights, even non-LED, draw very little power, usually less than 1.5-watts. You can check the ratings on the bulbs in the West Marine catalog. For cabin lights, LED clusters are very inexpensive, as posted above, and they can be run on a couple AAA batteries, which results in no drain at all from your regular batteries.

Good Luck,

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 03-14-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2011

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
West Marine had the LED bulb and enclosures for sale cheaper than just the bulbs. Might go that route.

Again - at most -
VHF radio
normal CD player
all lights
- no fridge
- no autopilot
- no gps
- no plotter

fairly basic setup.

So lets says my usage adds up to 30 amps - do i buy a battery that is 30 amps or is there a calculation of what % over usage you should buy?
Old 03-14-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcAlan1 View Post
So lets says my usage adds up to 30 amps - do i buy a battery that is 30 amps or is there a calculation of what % over usage you should buy?
You don't want to drain your battery below 50%. Draining it below that can hurt the life of it. So if your total usage was 30 amps, 100 amps of house bank would probably do you. That'd handle your daily load plus extra for cloudy days.

Really, everything is tied into your usage. Only on the boat on weekends? Then maybe you can battery bank for 2 days of usage and have your solar re-charge you during the week while you're away. On the boat all the time? Then you need enough house bank to support that(plus some cloudy days) and enough solar to cover your daily usage. It's very lifestyle specific.
Old 03-14-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, based on my total 'daily' amp needs - do I buy a battery at that rating?
So if my total is 75 amps of daily usage - I should be using a 75-100 amp deep cycle battery?

What size charger do I need ? trickle charge or ____ amount of output?
As others have said, its a bad idea to drain your battery to zero every day. That being said, you will be charging too. A good rule of thumb is to vary your discharge usage from as high as 70% usage to as low as 50% usage.

Batteries hate patterns...so to prolong the lifespan of your typical deep cycle flooded/wet cell battery, mix it up. Equalize them 1x a month to take care of sulfation.
Old 03-14-2011

Weekends only.
Will be charging during the week.

I guess I am looking for the magic calculation to determine if my current batteries are enough.

So based on the 50% rule, if my usage for one day is 30 amp, my 75 amp battery should be plenty with a solar panel charger?

SO now to the next question - what solar panel do you recommend? Any links?

My Catalina 25 ( with 1 battery ) came with a Coleman solar panel - never died, never had 'dim' lights, but again never really used electricity.

This time ( since I am 'building' my power layout ), I want to do it right!
Old 03-14-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
How much do you want to spend? The price has really come down on solar panels, and there are some great deals to be found by searching the internet stores.

Gary
Old 03-14-2011

200-300 at most.
Again its the weekend lake sailboat.
rarely spend the night on it, so electrical usage should be fairly low.

I am calculating the usage and I will post when I get finished.
Old 03-14-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I have a 30W panel that I hang vertically from the stern rail of my boat. In other words it only charged the batteries with the sun in one half of the sky.

The boat was away from shore power for five months and the batteries (two batteries in parallel with 75 Ah each) were always full. I used the boat on a schedule similar to yours; about once a week, the batteries would need to run lights for a couple of hours at most, and start the motor a few times.

I could not tell you what brand I bought. It was a steal on eBay, so I didn't care about the brand. It's a rigid polycrystalline panel. After output and price, my next biggest factor would be the size of the panel; mine is about 12 in. by 26-30 in. (don't remember exactly). I recommend avoiding those panels that have "easy plug technology" or whatever they like to call the stupid plug setup they have. All you need is a couple of terminals and some good marine-grade wire, and you can make your own "plugs". I had a solar panel with plugs and they tend to be the first things to corrode.

A minor pedantic point, the term "amp" has been tossed around somewhat loosely in this thread. When you were talking about the cranking amps your battery could put out, that was correct; amps refer to the current a battery is or can put out. When you're talking about the capacity, that's current supplied for a period of time, or amp-hours (Ah). Your batteries' capacity is not 75 amps, but 75 amp-hours.
Old 03-14-2011

OK, i did some research.
Ebay has the same 2 SunForce solar chargers that West Marine Sells.
Sunforce 50032 15 Watt Solar Battery Charger
Sunforce 50022 5 Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger

Cheaper on Ebay ( with shipping ).
But I would rather buy it in person to get the know-how and answers to my questions.
Old 03-14-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
I vastly doubt you are using 30 amps per day on your weekends away. I would think your 75 Amp hours house battery is fine.

I like to keep mine well above the 50% much better is 12.3 or 12.4. Thats about 70-75%. Use a multi meter stuffed into your cigarette lighter socket to check the battery

Quote:
12.65 V 100%
12.45 V 75%
12.24 V 50%
12.06 V 25%
Also remember, when you are using power on your boat during the day you are still charging with your solar panel, so what you are using is 'free'. Your draw is only at night

Quote:
But I would rather buy it in person to get the know-how and answers to my questions.
I agree with you. I like to touch, feel, read the instructions, go home and think about it etc. Its worth the few extra dollars.

Quote:
This time ( since I am 'building' my power layout ), I want to do it right!
Nothing is going to blow up, so just experiment A cheap multimeter is about $25, get one with a digital read out. Don't be afraid to run the battery under 50% is you are testing for a weekend. One deep discharge won't hurt.

Cheaper Solar controllers are $36 Solar Charge Controllers - Budget Marine
Solar Panel (seems expensive!!) 80-Watt Solar Panel, 4.67A Max. Amps @ 15V, 47.28"L x 21.14"W x 1.81"D $549.00 Polycrystalline Solar Panels 80 Watt Panel, 4.67a Max. Amps 15v, 47.28"l 21.14"w 1.81"d
You should be able to do better than that.

the 5 watt and 15 watt panels are toys. Won't even run a vibrator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 03-14-2011 at 04:05 PM.