Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Denise.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Another option if you do not want to use a winch, is to go to a 6-1 main sheet, slower to intake an out take the line than a 4-1, but easier in heavier winds. OR, do a 4-1 with a 4-1 micro. The micro gives you a total of 16-1.

Also, depending upon the line ratio of the traveler, upping that from 2-1 to 4-1 helps too. Than running lines back to where you are.

I have the same basic setup as Denise on my Jeanneau, with a 4-1 traveler, and the 4/16-1 setup. The micro is nice in heavy winds, the macro generally speaking, but at times even if reefed, you can not pull in the ain with the 4-1 to adjust it correctly, there the micro will get that last bit of adjustment. I have kicked a 6-1 for when it is just the wife and I also using the 4-1 with that.

I do not find the traveler track hurts movement in the cockpit enough to want to move it to the cabin top. I know a few that have moved the traveler TO the cockpit in this spot or slightly farther back. Farther back to things do not get in the way of a dodger.

marty
Old 03-15-2011

JaredC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcAlan1 View Post
Yes, the problem is that I cannot reach it.
I think the 'winch' idea would be tough if the wind picks up - would take too long to adjust.

I am going to do some research and see what i can do.
If you have your rig balanced correctly, you shouldn't need to dump the sheet or traveler in a gust (except in really, really heavy air). The boat may heel more, but it shouldn't round up.
Old 03-15-2011

YeahJohn is on a distinguished road
I understand the argument when it comes to tuning the sails and sail shape because I think a cabin top travler can be a little to basic with not enough options. I don't get the thought behind wanting to imidiatly dump your sails via the main cleat. Its helpful in a day sailor so you don't tip over but on a keel boat you should just set your sails an go for miles at a time. If your wife starts getting nervous turn off the wind a bit or reef your sails.
Old 03-16-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I just know, after being a few boats and getting stuck with "traveler" duty it was not enjoyable and damn hard work if the wind was up.

Could it be the shortness of the mainsheet line in relation to the blocks making it difficult? I know to gain full advantage a line has to be almost completely around a block? Then, some have 3 blocks on the boom like Catalina.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2011

I just posted a photo of my cockpit and traveler...
let me know what you think about the setup.
Old 03-17-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Here's the pic

The problem is definitely the height and location of your mainsheet cleat. Rearranging to something like the picture I posted earlier will at least get your cleat to the back of the cabintop much nearer to hand, and at a better angle to be able to readily engage and disengage the cleat. While you're at it you might even be able to add a part for more mechanical advantage.

It will also allow you to find a better place to store your mainsheet tail rather than hanging in the companionway all the time.

Since you have no dodger, and if you have no plans for one, I'd seriously look into relocating the traveller at the forward end of the cockpit, across the companionway (or possibly even better immediately in front of the binnacle... that would interfere less with comfortable seating in the forward cockpit). There are downsides to these ideas too, but then you wouldn't need to run things forward and back and could use a similar tackle setup - but the cleat would be in the cockpit rather than halfway to the mast.

This is, though, a fairly big project as it means relocating the sheet attachment point to the boom too - and remounting the traveller has it's challenges as well... with an aft-in-cockpit traveller you may well be able to go right to end-of-boom sheeting.

Spending some money on a good, bearing block low friction tackle will be another huge improvement.

The other half of your issue is the poor access to the traveller car adjustment... that too would be addressed by relocation.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-17-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2011

Wow, thanks for your great review to my problem with the main sheet.
I am deciding on what to do and how to do it, and will be taking your ideas into consideration.
Old 03-17-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
By far the simplest thing would be to rerun your tackle forward to the gooseneck down to the deck and back along the cabintop. You could also bring the traveller control lines aft to the back edge of the cabintop, requiring 3 new camcleats mounted appropriately. However this still leaves everything essentially out of reach from the helm. (A tiller would be better in this case!)

Moving the traveller will work and produce a more practical arrangement, but you have to make decisions as to how much you want to interfere with movement in/out of the cabin, seating and moving around the cockpit.

Also your new location needs to be accessible from below in order to properly back up the installation so it will take the loads safely. It looks like your traveller would have to bridge the gap between the seats unless you have a bit of a bridge deck forward. Your existing traveller may not be the best fit in this case (though it can obviously bridge that gap)a longer one might work better.

If you go this route maybe check at consignment marine stores for some more economical alternatives.. You can easily spend close to a boat buck ($1K) on a NEW top notch traveller/control lines/mainsheet setup. And while this will likely be a deterrent, in reality you'd never regret it.

Oh - btw - please create a photobucket acct or find some other way to direct post your pictures.. our gallery is not the most convenient way to do this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-17-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-17-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
double ending the main sheet

I don't have a picture, sorry, but I'll try and describe a solution we are using to allow main sheet adjustments at the helm, with a main sheet/traveller on the coach roof.

We double end the main sheet. It is actually one continuous line, one end terminates forward, like in the pictures posted, to a winch on the coach roof, the popular setup on today's cruising boats. We use this if there is crew interested in trimming the main.

The other end heads to a turning block near the mast, to a block on the coach roof (headed aft on starboard in our case) to a block on deck that fair leads to a secondary winch at the helm. Yea, I know, probably hard to picture. But with this setup, I can reach and adjust the main on a secondary, and the jib on primaries. This allows for easier single handing.

It's a bit of spaghetti, but we like it and it works well for us. We added brakes on either end of this line so you can control the main from either location and fix the other. You cannot of course adjust the traveller from the helm, but at least you can easily get the main sheet.