Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011

Flyfish58 is on a distinguished road
Question Large Ocean Waves

I keep reading accounts and watching youtube videos of very large ocean waves and very nasty weather. Some of these waves come up over the bows of large container ships. Is that normal? How do you sail in something like that? I have not sailed in the ocean yet but certainly want to ....... I think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Big waves at sea aren't necessarily worrisome. If the wave period is long and the waves are not steep then you barely notice them. Boat speed and direction plays a big role - imagine the difference between driving on a pothole filled road at 5MPH versus 30MPH. Those container ships smashing into seas doing 20-30 are a different story than a sailing boat doing 6 knots.
If the waves reach a height where they are so steep that they begin to break then it is time to be somewhere else regardless of boat size.
A normal wave passing under a ship doesn't impart any of its energy and continues on its merry way. A breaking wave, on the other hand, expends enormous amounts of energy and if the boat is broadside to the wave then it could get rolled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
sanshin is exactly right,compared to a large heavy ship a small sailboat is akin to a bobbing cork,also the most dangerious water during heavy weather is near shore and shallow water
Old 03-15-2011

genieskip is on a distinguished road
The waves you see on youtube were most likely shot in hurricanes or in the Southern Ocean or in the North Atlantic in winter. I've sailed some 25,000 miles in the ocean and never saw anything remotely like those Youtube spectaculars. If you sail in "proper" seasons and in established safe routes you will never be subjected to that kind of treatment. That's for big commercial ships on tight schedules in dangerous times of the year and in waters known for big waves.
Old 03-15-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I've seen the big waves, but then I've been working on the Oceans for over fifty years and out of those fifty years the ocurrance of heavy seas were about 5% of the time or less.
During heavy weather the watches are stood but the maintenance doesn't get done.
Now you go below 60S and into the Southern Ocean and those seas happen much more often. The Rest of the World bad weax comes and goes. Down there it occurs much more often.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 03-15-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
These guys have it right and unless you go looking for hurricanes, crossing the Atlantic in winter or the Southern Ocean you are unlikely to encounter them.

We were out in F9 and 20 ft waves of the New Jersey coast and had an interesting but not uncomfortable night getting further off-shore than we were.

Having a nice big boat, sails with deep reefs, the skills to use them safely and staying off-shore helps. However, sometimes in bad weather you have to go where the wind and waves will let you rather than where you originally intended.

When planning passages I spend a lot of time watching PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers looking at the wind and wave chart animations so that I can judge what I am likely to face and under what conditions.
Phil

Last edited by Yorksailor; 03-15-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-15-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
We have good friends who cruised and lived on their boat for almost ten years and never "encountered a real storm" (their words). They crossed the Atlantic a number of times and sailed from South America to north eastern Canada on the east coast. There were a number of things they avoided (all mentioned above):
  • the Southern Ocean or in the North Atlantic in winter
  • tight schedules in dangerous times of the year
  • waters known for big waves

The biggest problem (I think) for the recreational boater is having a tight schedule where you just have to be somewhere at a certain time. Ten summers sailing the coast of New Brunswick and Maine and no big bad weather - not that it did not happen, but when it did we were hidden away in some safe anchorage. We always built in a few days for a "weather window" and always were firm in our beliefs that if we had to be somewhere and time ran out, we would leave the boat at a marina and take a bus home and return for the boat later. Far and away cheaper than losing us or the boat in a storm.

Just my thoughts.

Rik
Old 03-15-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfish58 View Post
very large ocean waves and very nasty weather. Is that normal?
You will only find that sailing in the wrong season. And even then ususally only when its wind against current in the Gulfstream and Agulas Current. Or near the contionental shelf off the south coast of the UK going into the Bay of Biscay.
Also Hurricanes and Cyclones can give huge breaking waves.

So if you sail in the correct season you won't see those sort of waves or very nasty weather. If you do it wont be for long.

Don't sail the North Atlantic in winter! Don't sail the Souther Ocean in winter!
Before crossing the Gulf Stream or Aghulas current check the weather.

Then those videos will remain on YuouTube, not oon your own camera

Mark

Old 03-15-2011

Flyfish58 is on a distinguished road
I am really enjoying this forum! I can ask questions without being treated like a total pinhead.

Appreciate the input it helps

John
Old 03-15-2011
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfish58 View Post
I am really enjoying this forum! I can ask questions without being treated like a total pinhead.

Appreciate the input it helps

John
You've jinx'd it now, give it time

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.