Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
EPYC is hospitable and quite convenient for sailing in & out of Glouscester, but is about five miles from town, next to impossible to find from the land side because of the narrow private roads, and gets a lot of wake slop from fishing draggers passing close by at full speed at all hours of the day and night. They have limited depth at dockside and no fuel. You should keep looking, Rik.
All true, no question. But the club house, the showers, the coffee .

But you are right about all the rest.

We just spent part of today at the Nassau Yacht Club. Not bad, especially when I think of the snow back home. But the beer was way over priced.

Rik
Old 03-16-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I'm a sucker for immaculate facilities. However, the single criteria that makes a good marina is the people. All too often, you get the feeling they are doing you a favor to be in your presence. The minimum wage kids at the dock don't know what they are doing and my wife and I kid that everything is a secret. Location of the bathrooms, how to get to town, use of water, etc, etc, all kept a secret. Sometimes you ask and they can't believe you couldn't figure it out on your own.

Pull in and find a dock hand at the ready, who will follow instructions, not just tie off to whatever they are standing near. Someone knowledgeable to welcome you ashore and compliment your docking, no matter how bad. A quick run down or even a flyer of the marina's rules, fees, check-in/out, fuel dock hours, nearby amenities, etc. How about if the dockmaster just told me his name and how we could reach him if we needed anything.......

Its the people that make or break the best marina experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2011
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road
This is all good - thanks... kep it comin'

Scratch your head as you tip one back and try to recall the unique items you've only seen one or two places, even though the overall facility might not have been that great - but they sure got this one item right....
Old 03-16-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
BTW, the bus service on MDI is not part of the marina. It is actually subsidized by the town and LL Bean. But it is a great service and we use it every year when in NE Harbor.

Bucks Harbor Marina at the top of Eggamoggin Reach is a small quiet facility with a nice resturant up the hill. It's best feature are the outdoor showers. The afternoon sun hits them just right and is a great prelude to happy hour on the dock with a few other boaters. We like this marina because it is quiet. Well off the road and can only take so many boats. Maybe not the best for profitability but that was not part of your criteria.

Another huge advantage is a very protected harbor with well maintained moorings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-16-2011

jay123 is on a distinguished road
Talking

A marina or yacht club with all the services such as fuel, pump out, laundry , good food , mechanical services etc. Friendly knowledgable staff and bathroom and shower facilities that are immaculate and private. After being away from shore for a while a non marine head and long hot shower in immaculate privacy goes a long way.
Old 03-16-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay123 View Post
A marina or yacht club with all the services such as fuel, pump out, laundry , good food , mechanical services etc. Friendly knowledgable staff and bathroom and shower facilities that are immaculate and private. After being away from shore for a while a non marine head and long hot shower in immaculate privacy goes a long way.
I'm with this one, private restrooms are a plus. I don't mind waiting a few minutes, if I'm going to get a private shower like at home.
Old 03-16-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Several marinas to mention...

Charleston Megadock - even though the dock was 1/2 mile from shore, the dock quality was excellent, the showers were private rooms, the bathrooms were kept in excellent condition and the people were nice. Plus they had a free shuttle to take you to various parts of Charleston.

Vero Beach Municipal Marina - Facilities weren't as nice, but it's a haven for cruisers with lots of really interesting people to talk to and activities going on. Plus, Vero has a free bus service that can take you to the grocery, mall, movies - all around the region - and it stops right at the marina. The price was also one of the best in FL.

Cooley's Landing (Fort Lauderdale) - It's a municipal marina and the price was right. The docks are fixed and there's a big tidal swing, but the facilities are nice, the dockmaster is nice and there are some great people who stay here. You're walking distance to the bus terminal and to the kid's museum. Just one place that I had a good positive experience at.

Beaufort Town Docks - There is nothing really special about this place except that they still have loaner cars for transients. This was great for trips to West Marina and to get groceries. Plus they give you tokens for one free beer per person at the attached pub. The dockmaster was pretty abrupt, but you have to love the loaner cars.

Now.. the list of marinas NOT to go to is much longer....
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 03-16-2011

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
This is going to be hard to believe:

Scotty's Cove, Grand Lake Oklahoma!

Here's why:

1) Located in the best sailing part of Grand Lake
2) Well protected
3) Well maintained, with impeccable rest rooms, showers and clubhouse
4) Club house with lounge area, full kitchen, huge TV and fireplace
5) Sailboats only
6) Around $150 a month for a 30' slip
7) Library, including 20 years of Practical Sailor

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 03-16-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Totally agree with Labatts choices and add a few:

Old Port Cove Marina in Lake Worth, N. Palm Beach Florida ... because of the SERVICE as well as VERY well kept marina.

My all time favorite due to honesty, SERVICE has be the Portside Marina in Morehead City NC. Unbelievably honest and boater oriented.
For example Portside is a small mostly stink potter marina and can be exposed in a SE blow. During a blow that made the slips somewhat untenable for my 'crab crusher' the owner without asking got into his car, and went to the other marinas to find a sheltered space for my boat ... the city dock marina with just 'nominal' charges, He then drove back to the city dock and waited there to help us land ... and then surprise returned that evening and drove us to the shopping areas because he was concerned that it would be too far to walk and carry back all the items we would be carrying.
Of course this was in North Carolina where such things happen as a matter of course.
Needless to say I stop in at Portside every chance I pass the Outer Banks and not just because its reasonably priced. I go there because the operator LIKES people and will go the extra distance to help and doesnt charge an arm and a leg to do so.

Deltaville VA. area has the same 'hospitality' and concern --- just about all the marinas there.
:-)
Old 03-16-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Hmm... the marina that seems to have everything you're asking for (except fuel, which is available from two places nearby) is Constitution Marina, where I live!

Friendly, knowledgeable staff that compliments your docking
easy access to Boston
great community of sailors
clean private bathrooms/showers
well maintained and lit dock
free pump outs
laundry (coin op, not free)
maintenance guys on site (they don't work for the marina, but they live there)
very well protected
no food or bar on site, but both are a very short walk away
ice machine
swimming pool
propane grills provided on pool deck

The only down side is the price. And the fact that you might not be able to get a slip, because they're often full.