Best Marina You've Ever Tied Up At????? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 04-06-2011
Over the years here are the list of marinas that I've spent at least several months at if not years.

Port Annapolis
White Rocks Marina on the Patapsco River
Magothy Marina
Herrington Harbour North and also South
Old Port Cove in Florida
Beacon Marina in Solomons MD
Piney Narrows marina at Kent Narrows
Harbor One on the Conn. River (think marina had a different name years ago)

The best by far was the Beacon marina not because of the condition and the ammenties(they were probably the worst or tied with white rocks), but rather because of location, location, location. Easy access to the bay with deep water, well protected, easy entry and exit from slip, large slip, small dock with only 8 boats and excellent neighbors, slip was on end with great views not blocked by huge power boats plus easy walk to groceries and stores. Also good dock master who was not overly controlling yet responsive.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 39 Old 04-06-2011
Nelson's Dock Yard, English Harbor, Antigua
After a long trip from Annapolis to Bermuda in a pos boat, a week of repairs, and a slow almost windless trip to Antigua, any marina would have looked like paradise. But my arrival was made all the more beautiful when the angels came out at sunrise.
It was early in the morning and I was sitting near our boat on a short wall. Two beautiful women, in their 30's, stepped onto the stern of a large Beneteau right in front of me, took off their robes and showered. Later that night I was inducted into the Nelson's Tot Club. I'd go back...

If you donít know where you are going,
Any wind will get you there
post #33 of 39 Old 04-07-2011
Old as Dirt!
Las Hadas Marina, Manzanillo

Beautiful. A perfect 10. And amazingly inexpensive at the time (late '80's)

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 04-07-2011 at 12:25 PM.
post #34 of 39 Old 04-07-2011
I really read this question wrong, and almost answered until I realized that is wasn't "Best marina you've ever BEEN tied up at."

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 39 Old 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Clean heads and showers are a must. If there are broken tiles or gobs of poorly applied caulk then keeping things clean will be hard - maintenance and repair of the bathrooms has to be a priority.
It's amazing to see how few marinas on the Chesapeake live up to this standard, even among the priciest ones and the yacht clubs. In my whole boating career on the Bay there are only one or two marinas where I've consistently found the facilities being kept as clean and well maintained as I would expect in a decent hotel or if I were going to be a guest in someone's home.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #36 of 39 Old 04-07-2011
So far the ones I've been to are
Rivers Bend in St Augustine, a bit run down but nice and clean, with St. augastine right close,
Salt Pond in Hampton, Va, very nice well protected, clean
The freindliest was Hauge in Myrtle Beach, Sc, the place is a bit ofa mess, but it did burn down a few years a go, small place
post #37 of 39 Old 04-07-2011
Boat Harbor in Abaco Bahamas, (across from Marsh) it pretty nice. ($$$)

location, depth, pool, laundry, food, etc... and its in a great cruising ground

also Calusa Island marina in goodland fla (marco). very nice people, and decent showers and laundry, but kinda remote (but closer to the 10k islands so its a plus). 1 hr trip to marco, for groceries.

Last edited by ftldiver; 04-07-2011 at 12:39 PM.
post #38 of 39 Old 04-08-2011
Fish Island Marina in St. Augustine, Fl. Best damn place we ever stayed at. The facilities sucked, the "showers" were moldy, smelled of rotten eggs and had lots and lots of lizards and other creatures. There was a humongous tidal range, a shallow entry, no wifi or pool or restaurant but my god everyone was a Character! There were cannons going off, new age waitresses in houseboats, crusty gents that showed you an "easy" way to do noonsites, and tales told. So much better than these modern condominiumized marinas one finds today.
Of course, it probably no longer exists.......
post #39 of 39 Old 04-24-2011
Empire Marina Bobbin Head. Sydney, Australia

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.