Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2003

tondelayo29 is on a distinguished road
Oregon Boaters Beware (others take notice)

Background and Information on the “Pleasure Boat Tax” Exemption

Senator Ryan Deckert, D-Beaverton, is drafting legislation that would be detrimental to recreational boaters. He has proposed eliminating the so-called pleasure boat tax exemption. This exemption is being portrayed as a “tax break” for pleasure boats: implying boaters get some special or preferential treatment. This legislation would not be presented to the voters to vote upon, but quietly attached to some other type of bill.

This is the same exemption that applies to automobiles, motor homes, aircraft, cars and other personal property not used for business. Boat owners not only pay a state registration fee but state and federal gasoline taxes, and excise taxes on equipment and accessories. These funds support boating programs that do not require general fund support. In essence, boat owners are paying their own way. Under Deckert’s plan, it is unclear how the exception would benefit the state general fund. Generally, property taxes are collected locally. Elimination of the “in lieu” exemption would not raise state revenues one cent. If the exemption on pleasure boats were being eliminated, it would only seem fair to eliminate the exemption for other kinds of recreational vehicles and other vehicles if we desire consistent tax policy. This appears to single out on industry. As you know, make model year do not easily translate into value given all the variables of use, care, area of operation, etc. Indeed, it would be difficult to come up with a fair assessed value without an individual survey of each boat’s condition, rigging, gear and accessory items.

A new tax or a replacement tax for user fees, it could mean added costs to boat owners, not only when they buy a boat, but with some type of added annual fee. Adding a personal property tax on top of other fees would have a negative impact on the boating industry in Oregon.

Currently, Oregon exempts all personal property used for personal use, including motor vehicles, travel trailers, motor homes, RV’s, private aircraft, and boats. A change in this tax policy should apply to all personal property and not discriminate against only one type. Boats should not be treated any differently than motor homes, travel trailers, RV’s or private aircraft.

I would like to see this posted in as many venues as possible. My feeling is once it starts the ripple affect will.

I have a list of names and addresses of senators and representatives on the Ways and Means Committee and both house and senate Revenue Committee. We ask that you please take the time to write or email as many as possible of these politicians and let them know that you do not support this legislation.

Also I have a copy of the letter sent to Representative Randy Miller by Doug Walker, President of the Columbia River Yachting Association, which concisely spells it all out.\

At your request I will forward copies to all of you as it is too much to post in this forum..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road

The feds obviously don''t need the money from the proposed reimposition of this tax. They''re givng all the money they can to the people who would be buying new boats with it. (Yesterday''s NY Times op-ed page mentioned how some 1% of the population would be getting a yearly tax break of almost $100,000 each, while half of us will be getting less than less than $100. This is going to stimulate the economy, because no one ever buys boats built in Thailand or Europe, either. If they do have to single out one industry to pick on, doesn''t it make sense to single out the smallest one? You certainly don''t want to pick on the RV group-didn''t they just get themselves exempted from having to reconfigure all their propane gas tanks, the way we sailors had to? They''re much too organized, savvy, and big. It''s the (select your favorite whipping boy: Democratic/Republican/Liberal/Conservative/Facist/Survival of the fittest/cost-effective/consumer-benefit/ecological/efficient or only) way!

P.S. Since when did the Federal Government worry about how what they did affects local or state revenues or budgets? For example, the much-touted "No child left behind" law requires states to test kids all the time. So each state has to pay to print thousands of tests. Each state has to pay to give the test. (So teachers now get to be test monitors, instead of teaching. Is this effective use of tax dollars?) The state then gets to pay for correcting the tests. (Again, do you want the teachers to correct the tests, or do you want your children to learn something?)
The REAL test comes at the next election. If we''re not all smarter by then, we deserve what we get.
Old 06-27-2003

obiec is on a distinguished road

It is real frustrating. I live in Oregon and now thay are telling me that I have to pass a writen exam to operate my boat ont the waters. It is 75 questions mostly about PW, which I dont even own. If I head up into Washington waters for more than 3 months of any one year I am suposably left to pay a users fee of around 9% of my boats value, thats about 5,000. bucks. get real. I have to yung children In school. If it wasent for them I wouold tell all these ffers to kiss my glass, and I would just rome. and now the state of oregon is going to get into my megar pockets as well. The reason I have a nice boat is becase I bought it cheep and spent tuns of time working on it. Not becase my daddy bought it for me or. I make 200 plus a year. I bust it all week long.

My favorit saying is
I think it is time for anouther tea party

Comunisam is based on a guverment that is trying to take care of its peaple. make dicitions for them becase it knows what is best for them. I know there are some big difereces between the US and a comunistic country. But seat belt laws, helmet laws, and well fair, it goes on and on. we are not that far off.
Old 06-27-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

While I don''t know about the boat operators exam in Oregon, I believe that the majority of the coastal states require that a boat register in that state if it resides there for a period of time varying between 3 to 6 months. Most states do require a tax which is variously called a ''sales tax'', ''Users Fee'' or ''title registration fee'' but they will give you a credit for such fees paid in other states. In other words if you paid a 5% sales tax in Oregon, and Washington has a 9% fee, you would only owe the 4% difference and since 9% is the highest fee that I have heard of, you would not be required to pay a sales tax or user fee in any of the other participating states. You would have to simply pay a registration fee which at least in Maryland is a bargain at $25 per two years for a 38 footer if I remember correctly.

Jeff
Old 06-27-2003

tsenator is on a distinguished road

Plus, If you purchased your boat for (lets say) $10,000 originally and (lets say) paid 5% thats $500 Sales Tax . It shouldn''t matter that you cleaned it up and made the boat better.

When and if Oregon wants to come after you for the difference to get the extra money. I would argue with them that they only deserve the difference on what you purchased the boat for NOT what they "perceive" the boat value is. Because to me that is crap. They don''t deserve to tax you on your "sweat equity" of cleaning up and enhancing your own boat.

(I know tax lawyers might argue that, but its CRAP! IMHO)
Old 06-29-2003

I think it is all crap. Am I suposably a part owner in the water ways. There is no way in hell I would spend 5k to go on a cruise for a few months in washington waters. I would like to leave my boat up in the puget sound year round but I could not aford to pay that much. So I will leave it in Canada instead and give there Marinas and grocerie stores and fuel docks my money.
Old 07-02-2003

tondelayo29 is on a distinguished road

I have now received "Personal" responses from 5 of the politicians I had contacted. Two of them feel it is a dead issue, but it was considered while going through the items with a fine tooth comb.

I think they will still look to sneak down the path of least resistance.
Old 07-06-2003

any thing I can do I will be happy to help.