Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2003

Hobgoblin is on a distinguished road
Still riding the waves

Hi All,

Does anybody have the experience of ''still riding waves'' the day after?
It happens to me quite often, but after last weekends sailing( in choppy waters) it gave me nausea, for the first time when answering my E-mails this morning.Turning my head towards the opened window sniffing up the fresh breeze soon lifted the tendency to throw up.Usually it''s nothing more then still feeling the movement when going to sleep, today is something else, and it feels just like seasickness( no experience with that, yet)from what I read.The "confinement" of my vision in front off the computerscreen, seemed to amplify the feeling.In short I''m in need of a remedy.
Thanks a million,

Marc
s/y Hobgoblin
The Netherlands
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Still riding the waves

It is not unusual to continue to ''rock'' long after coming ashore, expecially after a particularly long leg with the seas in a constant direction. That feeling should be gone by the next day. Usually a good night''s sleep and drinking plenty of water helps reduce the symptoms.

Jeff
Old 06-23-2003

Hobgoblin is on a distinguished road
Still riding the waves

Hi Jeff,

Early riser? I''ve never heard of drinking plenty of water to reduce symptoms, and never experienced this the day after, i''ll try to follow your suggestion, right now.
Thanks,

Marc
s/y Hobgolin
Old 07-04-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Still riding the waves

Sea legs, yes. In the days of the clippers, sailors got the reputation of being a thirsty lot, not for water, but for something with a bit more kick! Many a sailor fresh ashore from the voyage was scooped up by the local constabulary and lugged off to the tank to dry out. The unfortunate problem was that good old Jack Tar was usually sober as a judge at the time! It was his balance and sea legs from the months at sea that caused him to sway too and fro as though the street was a ships deck, tossed about off the Horn! Yes, Jack usually got the short end of the stick at every turn. After the shipping company’s officers had greased the palms of his jailers with what most times would constitute the balance of his pay, Jack would make his way back to his ship where he would sign on for another trip in order to go to his bunk, and the only home he knew, pennyless.

For a real treat, next time you come home from a rough weekend passage, try jumping in the shower and closing your eyes… !
Old 07-11-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Still riding the waves

Ahoy ,I be feeling yer point and when ye gets to the place where the other feelings ,you know the ones you think are normal are worse, then your a Pirate. In the mean time its just the seas way of reminding you about whats real and what isn''t. Pirate of Pine Island.