Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
In reference to the "Judgement proof-weasel" reference.
You may or may not be aware that many successful professionals that are exposed to exceptional liability situations insulate themselves from the threat of financial losses by placing all or most of their assets into trust or have assets owned by a Corporation or LLC. (once again depending on residency/location) . thereby safeguarding their incomes and earnings. Essentially they own nothing ! not the home they live in or the cars they drive, I'm sure the yacht and airplane ownership is/are handled in the same fashion.
So does that make MD's and other professionals "scumbags" or "weasels", maybe in your opinion, but I think they are "judgement-Proof"

It's a big world out there, and alot of ways to see it.
The key word in the above quote is "exceptional." The examples cited above especially MDs, most often do not incorporate to avoid buying insurance, but to cover liability beyond their insurance coverage. I don't think there are many MDs out there who don't carry malpractice insurance, but with the litigious society we live in, often the costs will exceed the insurance.

YOU can justify not carrying insurance any way you want to- but to advocate dodging the requirement to a novice 21 year old with his first self-surveyed boat doesn't do anybody any favours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2011

lapworth is on a distinguished road
The law as a general guide line. So you can put me down for scumbag. I have seen people do more damage to others the legal way then some mister miner.
Old 03-21-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Liability insurance is required in California but many people
run without it. I have personal experience with this issue.
If a person has few or no assets to have taken away, why
should they pay for insurance? Many do not.

Dabnis
Old 03-21-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Crux-

I just read through all 11 pages of this mess. I think you are attempting to approach the situation intelligently, and make the most of what you have.

Although you didn't get a survey, you have gone over the boat as throughly as your knowledge allows. (I hope that's good enough) I'm pretty interested in hearing how this turns out and I am trying to figure out ways that I might be able to help.

First, I'm still not hearing of a concrete destination from you. Have you considered this:
Casa Rio Marina

It's closer than White Rocks, is very affordable, and you can haul out and do your own work. The people I spoke to, were very friendly and very accomodating.

Second, if you choose Casa Rio or someplace comparetively close, I may be able to help tow you in for the last little bit.

You've had 11 pages to work on this so far. Where are you in your preps? Exactly what do you still think you need to make the journey? This will help me figure out how else I might be able to help you.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-21-2011

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
I had insurance on my I26 through Geico who also has my car and home insurance. They subbed it out to another company for liability at a cost of $212.00 a year. There was no requirements for survey or anything else. It was really quite simple. I tried Boat US and other company's but did not want to jump through the hoops. Mainly it was piece of mind on my part. Never had to use it so I can not attest to the quality but at less than $20.00 a month it served my purpose and if that is not affordable then you probably shouldn't own a boat.
Old 04-04-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I would be interested to get an update on the OP's pogress.
Old 04-04-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
I would be interested to get an update on the OP's pogress.
Anyone willing to let go of a bluechart micro sd?
Old 04-04-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
thanks for the link.
Old 04-04-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Alrighty, so we make an attempt this past weekend, but due to north western winds the whole time, we were unable to make it northwest out of the tangier sound through a chain of islands into the main bay. with school rounding the corner this week and reports of gale force winds the entire next day we decided to take her back to the marina, and I will give it another shot within a month. I was happy with how the boat sailed, got a good feel for her, and we had a good time! 5 minutes after we exited the marina into the Tangier Sound a squall hit us pretty hard with gusts up to 35-40 knots. Dropped the Bruce, and rode it out. another squall hit about an hour after the first, and we hooked up for the night. She's not a boat to point high into wind, but with any thing other than north westerns, I am confident I'll make better progress next time. weekend well spent!
Old 04-04-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If she's not pointing well, that may be correctable. Adjusting mast rake, sail trim, spreader length, all can be issues there, and of course old blown out sails won't help. Worth looking into, or asking at a local loft if they'd be able to stop by at their convenience to give you some ideas and a quote.