Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
At 21 I'd have called this an adventure. Hell at 57 it STILL sounds like an adventure! If I wasn't recovering from surgery right now I'd drive down and join you for a couple of days, just for the adventure.

Gary H. Lucas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
which marina is a loaded question, where do you live? as it makes a big difference as what works for you. south side of the patapsco river is white rocks, cheaper lets you work on your own boat but the owner goes thru moods. north side is many but old bay is cheap and lets you do the work. both are easy to get into but both are cheaper places with the draw back of being cheaper.

check your PM's
Live in Baltimore, I need to find a marina that is work friendly, with good people, moods are not something I care to deal with. I look to find a good community of boaters, working on their boats. She will be one the hard for a little while, so I want to find a decent place.
Old 03-17-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I DO have a sense of adventure, which is why I DON'T ask for advice when I do something stu, er adventurous. If one asks for advice one is either looking to a) be talked into doing something, b) talked out of doing something, or c) looking for someone to point out trips and traps that one hadn't thought of yet , which leads to more questions aiming to answer either a) or b). By the answers the OP has given he wants answer a). If he can justify why, I just might agree with him.

Or we can just blindly encourage an unknown sailor with an unknown boat and an unknown skill level to attempt a journey well beyond his previous experience with a new-to-him boat across one of the busiest waterways on the east coast.

Oh yeah... with no motor. Which begs the question: if the iron jenny is dead, what is the condition of the rest of the systems on the boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
You guys have no sense of adventure. A bit ago I paid a kid to use his dads 20' center console to tow this 36' Crocker schooner from south ct to New Haven. I had just raised the boat from the being sunk and it still leaked gallons an hour. I had gas powered pumps on board. It was a dead glass day on the water and we were moving pretty good until we got within about 300 yards of our detination when the wind piped up to about 5 knots and the little power boat was tossed around like a puppy being walked by fat man on crack. We just barely make it to the dock.
Now that's an adventure.
The baby in the picture just turned 30 a few days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
80 mile move with no motor????-36-crocker-schooner-color-small-.jpg  

Last edited by davidpm; 03-17-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-17-2011

PS. Mr. Jones is right of course. My post was to demonstrate how unbelievably lucky I was not any intelligence or experience.
Old 03-17-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
You shoulda' posted a photo of your girlfriend--these guys would be camped out on your dock.

If you have a dink with an outboard, you could sail relatively close, drop the sails and tow the boat to the marina. Just be sure the wind and tide are slack, especially as you're heading under Key Bridge. The tidal rip through the bridge pilings can be real nasty.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 03-17-2011
young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I DO have a sense of adventure, which is why I DON'T ask for advice when I do something stu, er adventurous. If one asks for advice one is either looking to a) be talked into doing something, b) talked out of doing something, or c) looking for someone to point out trips and traps that one hadn't thought of yet , which leads to more questions aiming to answer either a) or b). By the answers the OP has given he wants answer a). If he can justify why, I just might agree with him.

Or we can just blindly encourage an unknown sailor with an unknown boat and an unknown skill level to attempt a journey well beyond his previous experience with a new-to-him boat across one of the busiest waterways on the east coast.

Oh yeah... with no motor. Which begs the question: if the iron jenny is dead, what is the condition of the rest of the systems on the boat?
Appreciate your response. However, I am posting on this site, because it is a forum where boaters ask other boaters questions as they would in a community of boaters Like I knew so well in the south. I have yet to come across a fellow sailor in person that would attempt to discourage a young sailor such as myself from trying to accomplish his task/dream with similar words to yours. Again your response has been taken to consideration, But I want to hear positive ideas instead of turning this thread into a back and forth of wise cracks. Thanks just trying to stay on topic!
Old 03-17-2011
young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
You guys have no sense of adventure. A bit ago I paid a kid to use his dads 20' center console to tow this 36' Crocker schooner from south ct to New Haven. I had just raised the boat from the being sunk and it still leaked gallons an hour. I had gas powered pumps on board. It was a dead glass day on the water and we were moving pretty good until we got within about 300 yards of our detination when the wind piped up to about 5 knots and the little power boat was tossed around like a puppy being walked by fat man on crack. We just barely make it to the dock.
Now that's an adventure.
The baby in the picture just turned 30 a few days ago.
Awesome, sounds like something "I would do"!
Old 03-17-2011

The reality of course was that the whole escapade was planned by a couple of 20 years olds who knew nothing. The only reason we didn't sink both boats was just dumb luck absolutely nothing more.

Why don't you just call your local BoatUS or TowBoat guy tell them you are a member and be up front and say your boat is in place x and needs repair work done in place y and want a tow.

It is a shot. And if you pull it off even with some cost at least you have no risk. They know how to tow safely. If you don't want to fib about being a member to just ask the question just go down to the dock in the evening and chat up some friendly looking captains and get them to make the call for you. The phone call doesn't cost them anything.
I have boatUs and they have been remarkably helpful. You don't want to take advantage of them but if you ask nicely?
Old 03-17-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruxandreams View Post
I have yet to come across a fellow sailor in person that would attempt to discourage a young sailor such as myself from trying to accomplish his task/dream with similar words to yours.
Then maybe you need to hang with more honest sailors, kid. I'm just telling you to your face what your southern sailing buddies are chuckling about behind your back. If you think honesty is a negative, snowflake, you better HTFU.

I'm not trying to discourage you or encourage you, kid- I'm answering a question YOU asked. If you don't like the response, maybe the problem isn't me.

Just because your offended, it doesn't make you right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.