Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruxandreams View Post
Awesome, sounds like something "I would do"!
I reread your plan and it is what you didn't say that was worrisome.
The following are a list of items that if true would be in your favor.

1. You are an experienced sailor.
2. You know this boats rig well.
3. You know how this boat handles well.
4. You know this boat is rigged for single handling or you have experienced crew.
5. You know both harbors and the route well.
6. You have good experience in using the ground tackle on this boat and know it is in good shape.
7. You have a few extra days to make the trip.
8. You are certain that everything else about the boat is sound like the standing rigging, hull and steering.

You see we don't know much about you. The more of the above positives the higher the chance you will have a good trip. You may have grown up on these waters know them well have sailed every summer on ketches similar to the one you bought and the boat has been professionally surveyed, including a rigging survey and you have two weeks and a life long sailor for a mate. You might just make it.

If you answer no to more than half of the above questions you will most likely be on the phone to 911 which can get costly and besides the embarrassment, which you will get over, may cause you to abandon sailing which would be the real loss.

In short we just don't know enough to know enough about you to give sound advice.

What you might find interesting is if you asked your question in a different way.
How many experienced sailors would attempt to make the trip by sail only based on what you tell us about the boat. That I would like to hear myself.

Last edited by davidpm; 03-17-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Then maybe you need to hang with more honest sailors, kid. I'm just telling you to your face what your southern sailing buddies are chuckling about behind your back. If you think honesty is a negative, snowflake, you better HTFU.

I'm not trying to discourage you or encourage you, kid- I'm answering a question YOU asked. If you don't like the response, maybe the problem isn't me.

Just because your offended, it doesn't make you right.
Offended, I'm not offended, although you did make that pretty much the point of your comment, now didn't you. you remind me of kids I went to high school with that would get online, talk things they never had the kahunas to say to some one in person, and feel good because they felt for a glimmer of their life they got over on some one, instead of the usual opposite. Again I appreciate your "first" comment, and I would like to keep this thread to helpful ideas, instead of highschoolers trying to get over on each other. I may be young, but have experienced more than Many old dogs have smelled.
Old 03-17-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Offended, I'm not offended, although you did make that pretty much the point of your comment, now didn't you. you remind me of kids I went to high school with that would get online, talk things they never had the kahunas to say to some one in person, and feel good because they felt for a glimmer of their life they got over on some one, instead of the usual opposite. Again I appreciate your "first" comment, and I would like to keep this thread to helpful ideas, instead of highschoolers trying to get over on each other. I may be young, but have experienced more than Many old dogs have smelled.
Kid, you have sailed on an Allied Princess in Florida- don't overstate your experience, and don't insult somebody whose advice you might need. If you don't like what you're hearing, ask yourself why- you're getting advice from sailors who have BTDT and got t-shirts older than you. A week ago you were falling in love with a leaky teaky Cheoy Lee wearing a tent and now you bought an engineless dream. Cut the passive-aggressive crap and take what you hear in the spirit it is intended- to keep you safe and pursuing your dream, not embarking on a nightmare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2011
young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I reread your plan and it is what you didn't say that was worrisome.
The following are a list of items that if true would be in your favor.

1. You are an experienced sailor.
2. You know this boats rig well.
3. You know how this boat handles well.
4. You know this boat is rigged for single handling or you have experienced crew.
5. You know both harbors and the route well.
6. You have good experience in using the ground tackle on this boat and know it is in good shape.
7. You have a few extra days to make the trip.
8. You are certain that everything else about the boat is sound like the standing rigging, hull and steering.

You see we don't know much about you. The more of the above positives the higher the chance you will have a good trip. You may have grown up on these waters know them well have sailed every summer on ketches similar to the one you bought and the boat has been professionally surveyed, including a rigging survey and you have two weeks and a life long sailor for a mate. You might just make it.

If you answer no to more than half of the above questions you will most likely be on the phone to 911 which can get costly and besides the embarrassment, which you will get over, may cause you to abandon sailing which would be the real loss.

In short we just don't know enough to know enough about you to give sound advice.

What you might find interesting is if you asked your question in a different way.
How many experienced sailors would attempt to make the trip by sail only based on what you tell us about the boat. That I would like to hear myself.
Thank you for stating that as an adult would! Your right I haven't given much detail here have I. Mainly because I have seen many negative "Cheoy lee" Thoughts on this site. That's right, She is a cheoy lee 33 cutter, with very solid chain plates, and good rigging. Hull is very solid, and spars are rock solid. Steering is tight as a drum. Obviously I don't know the boat, and, never really planed on attempting the trip alone. I was also posting to see if people knew about tow options or ideas. I do not think sailing her is too far fetched of an idea with the help of a good old sailor that really knows how to handle a ketch. And I do understand that telling a learning sailor to just go for it is a stupid thing to do, But I would expect respectable responses like yours, Thanks!
Old 03-17-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Then maybe you need to hang with more honest sailors, kid. I'm just telling you to your face what your southern sailing buddies are chuckling about behind your back. If you think honesty is a negative, snowflake, you better HTFU.

I'm not trying to discourage you or encourage you, kid- I'm answering a question YOU asked. If you don't like the response, maybe the problem isn't me.

Just because your offended, it doesn't make you right.
bl, dude - what's got you so cranked up? Actually, you're the only one whacking on the kid. The others are at least giving some good advice.

Crux - as for me, another novice sailor, I wouldn't do it without some help. You actually sound like you've sailed much more than I have, so you might be fine. It just seems a bit much on a boat you've never sailed before - especially with no power to get you out of a tight spot you might get into while learning about her.

Good luck dude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-17-2011

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
. I may be young, but have experienced more than Many old dogs have smelled.
Well, if you have had any relevant experience you wouldn't be asking questions here.
Tell us more about the boat. Model, make, designer. Condition.
Do you have dingy with motor?
I feel overworked and depressed so I may take up your offer. Besides I'm strong believer in sailboats, not motorboats with sails. Basically I'm very much inline with Jerome FitzGerald
Amazon.com: Jerome FitzGerald: Books

Did you read the guy, BTW? Any other books? What is your favorite one?

Last edited by CrazyRu; 03-17-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
I feel overworked and depressed...
Now that's no way to live. You need to go sailing!

You guys HAVE to take some pics on this trip. This could be an epic story!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-17-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
bl, dude - what's got you so cranked up? Actually, you're the only one whacking on the kid. The others are at least giving some good advice.
Oh ferpetesake, since when is it "whacking" on somebody to answer a question? I know you like to be defender of all newbies and the self-appointed Sailnet Welcome Wagon, Smack, so you NEED me. You can't be Good Cop unless there is a Bad Cop. So, I'll be the big ol' meany who, you know, makes this dreamer actually think about what he is proposing,, and maybe, oh I don't know, provide some more real information defending why he CAN and SHOULD do this...
of which he has done precious little, but he, and you, apparently, are all butthurt about how mean and negative I am by not simply patting him on the back and waving goodbye as he slowly leaves the dock.

Old 03-17-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Congrats on your new boat by the way. You know if you have the experience to sail this new boat of yours to it's new home. If you aren't too worried about it, go for it. You do have good ground tackle don't you? It's not like you're talking about a circumnavigation here, you just need to sail 80 NM or so. It wasn't that long ago that sailboats didn't have engines, I don't think you are going to die attempting this. Do some homework, plan for the unexpected and watch the weather. Make sure your VHF and cell phone work, and take enough groceries and water for twice as long as you figure it will take.
Report back here after your successful sail.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-17-2011
young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
Well, if you have had any relevant experience you wouldn't ask questions here.
Tell us more about the boat. Model, make, designer. Condition.
Do you have dingy with motor?
I feel overworked and depressed so I may take up your offer. Besides I'm strong believer in sailboats, not motorboats with sails. Basically I'm very much inline with Jerome FitzGerald
Amazon.com: Jerome FitzGerald: Books

Did you read the guy, BTW? Any other books? What is your favorite one?
I have a fatty knees, looking to get an outboard. The rigging is in decent condition, not great, but pretty good. Sailing hardware seams all functional, I was worried to put her make up because I felt it would side track to the main point, seams like no one thinks much of cheoys here. My friend owns a 33 offshore that I sailed on quite a few times, twice with motor issues, that we worked threw, and I liked sailing. But my boat is pretty solid, I am definitely replacing the deck first thing when I get her to her new home, but sailing wise she is capable of the trip.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.