Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
of which he has done precious little, but he, and you, apparently, are all butthurt about how mean and negative I am by not simply patting him on the back and waving goodbye as he slowly leaves the dock.
And what is wrong with simply patting him? It is protected bay. There is no much recreational traffic in this time of year. In worst case scenario the kid will loose his boat. No big deal, he is young, he will make it up. i mean, seriously, what is wrong with the guy sailing 33 ft boat without motor?

Last edited by CrazyRu; 03-17-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruxandreams View Post
But my boat is pretty solid, I am definitely replacing the deck first thing when I get her to her new home, but sailing wise she is capable of the trip.
Well, you have an option of getting liability insurance and unlimited towing from Boat US. IT is cheap, and it will cover most of the problems, you just sail up to marina and call Boat tow US.
Or you can learn how to be self sufficient. it is not much harder either. It will require a bit more time for waiting for just right conditions, and good preparation.
Dingy with motor is nice to have also. 33 ft boat can be pushed/maneuvered/towed with small dingy.
When do you plan the trip?
Old 03-17-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
And what is wrong with simply patting him? It is protected bay. There is no much recreational traffic in this time of year. It worst case scenario the kid will loose his boat. No big deal, he is young, he will make it up. i mean, seriously, what is wrong with the guy sailing 33 ft boat without motor?
Novice sailor, no motor, unknown and apparently unsurveyed boat, unknown harbour at both ends, sailing through the busiest ship traffic between Miami and Newark...
yes, you're absolutely right, I should just shut up and wish him the best. Go for it kid!

There, is everybody happy now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, if you have had any relevant experience you wouldn't be asking questions here.
Tell us more about the boat. Model, make, designer. Condition.
Do you have dingy with motor?
I feel overworked and depressed so I may take up your offer. Besides I'm strong believer in sailboats, not motorboats with sails. Basically I'm very much inline with Jerome FitzGerald
Amazon.com: Jerome FitzGerald: Books

Did you read the guy, BTW? Any other books? What is your favorite one?
"The guy"? no I haven't, definitely look into it though. I have read about there trip on Seraffyn, and their oriental trip, have but haven't read "self-sufficient sailor. Just got details of classic boat construction by larry, looks like some real interesting info on his building of Taleisin.
Old 03-17-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, you have an option of getting liability insurance and unlimited towing from Boat US. IT is cheap, and it will cover most of the problems, you just sail up to marina and call Boat tow US.
Or you can learn how to be self sufficient. it is not much harder either. It will require a bit more time for waiting for just right conditions, and good preparation.
Dingy with motor is nice to have also. 33 ft boat can be pushed/maneuvered/towed with small dingy.
When do you plan the trip?
Plan the trip no sooner than the end of this month, more likely later depending. probably get shot down by the red baron on this one, but was wondering about a sculling oar, "been reading too much pardey" ha.
Old 03-17-2011

Quote:
"The guy"? no I haven't, definitely look into it though. I have read about there trip on Seraffyn, and their oriental trip, have but haven't read "self-sufficient sailor. Just got details of classic boat construction by larry, looks like some real interesting info on his building of Taleisin.
I was talking about Jerome FitzGerald, not Larry and Linn Pardey.
FitzGerald is sort of "must read", if you dream about really self sufficient sailing.
Old 03-17-2011

Quote:
Plan the trip no sooner than the end of this month, more likely later depending. probably get shot down by the red baron on this one, but was wondering about a sculling oar, "been reading too much pardey" ha.
In my opinion, on 33 ft boat rowing will work better than sculling.

are you going to get liability insurance?
Old 03-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Novice sailor, no motor, unknown and apparently unsurveyed boat, unknown harbour at both ends, sailing through the busiest ship traffic between Miami and Newark...
yes, you're absolutely right, I should just shut up and wish him the best. Go for it kid!

There, is everybody happy now?
Well, in my opinion, it is either the guy gets life changing experience or we will see Darvin's evolution at work.
C'mon guys, we walk streets and drive highways every day.
Old 03-18-2011

PanchoVilla is on a distinguished road
Will somebody please move this thread to the motorboat forum?

It just amazes me that so few of you armchair salts seems to believe it possible to actually use a sailboat for it's intended purpose, which, last I checked, is to move across water using sails and wind.

I mean Jesus. It's a sailboat. The young salt has balls and work ethic and a sense of adventure. He doesn't need a holier-than-thou lecture. What he needs is a couple of good hands to help him sail, actually sail, the boat for a day or two. It's kind of pathetic that none of you have stepped up to help. If I lived nearby and spent all of my waking hours pontificating about sailing on the internet, you bet I'd take the chance to do a trip with a real sailor--by which I mean the dictionary definition: "One who sails," a/k/a the Kid.

If the weather is right any half-decent sailor should be able to put it on the dock. Then you tell the dude at the marina to haul it out. It's really not that hard. I am pretty much exactly a one-half decent sailor, and performed said maneuver last weekend in a boat I'd never sailed before. Coincidentally, I was about about one-half drunk at the time.

Crux, here's your plan: Get a couple of bros to help you out. Tell them it should take a couple days but might take four. Check the weather report before you go. Stay out of the shipping lanes. Double-check that anchor. Then go.

There's a good chance something will happen that will be a pain in the ass at the time, and a good story later. It's almost sure to be a lot of fun. Almost no chance you'll make the Darwin list. Sorry.
Old 03-18-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

Let me think bum motor CHECK

Unknown standing rigging that turned out to have issues HEAD STAY under the furler ready to pop CHECK

East river and commercial traffic CHECK

Myself and my friends know what were doing and we knew enough NOT to try and sail a boat that we were unsure if the mast was gonna stay up into a marina full of million dollar boats

And for good measure we had to wait for the correct current and weather window during which the current behaved as expected BUT there was ZERO wind

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 03-18-2011 at 06:35 AM.