Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoVilla View Post
Will somebody please move this thread to the motorboat forum?

It just amazes me that so few of you armchair salts seems to believe it possible to actually use a sailboat for it's intended purpose, which, last I checked, is to move across water using sails and wind.

I mean Jesus. It's a sailboat. The young salt has balls and work ethic and a sense of adventure. He doesn't need a holier-than-thou lecture. What he needs is a couple of good hands to help him sail, actually sail, the boat for a day or two. It's kind of pathetic that none of you have stepped up to help. If I lived nearby and spent all of my waking hours pontificating about sailing on the internet, you bet I'd take the chance to do a trip with a real sailor--by which I mean the dictionary definition: "One who sails," a/k/a the Kid.

If the weather is right any half-decent sailor should be able to put it on the dock. Then you tell the dude at the marina to haul it out. It's really not that hard. I am pretty much exactly a one-half decent sailor, and performed said maneuver last weekend in a boat I'd never sailed before. Coincidentally, I was about about one-half drunk at the time.

Crux, here's your plan: Get a couple of bros to help you out. Tell them it should take a couple days but might take four. Check the weather report before you go. Stay out of the shipping lanes. Double-check that anchor. Then go.

There's a good chance something will happen that will be a pain in the ass at the time, and a good story later. It's almost sure to be a lot of fun. Almost no chance you'll make the Darwin list. Sorry.
Generally, I understand what you're saying about "real sailing" - but I'm definitely not that much of purist. Maybe it depends on where one sails.

I've sailed my C27 into the slip only once...when the wind was just right. I've tried it a couple more times when the wind wasn't just right (e.g. - right on our nose) and abandoned that pretty early. We have a bottleneck just before our dock of about 18 feet - so it can get hairy. I'm just not that good.

We've also been caught in a couple of squalls where I was really happy to have that little 4hp Suzuki. I definitely use it as sparingly as possible because I like sailing - not motoring. But, I like having a motor...when I need it. Maybe I can make those times less and less as I keep sailing.

(PS - Welcome to SN dude.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-18-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Oh ferpetesake, since when is it "whacking" on somebody to answer a question? I know you like to be defender of all newbies and the self-appointed Sailnet Welcome Wagon, Smack, so you NEED me. You can't be Good Cop unless there is a Bad Cop. So, I'll be the big ol' meany who, you know, makes this dreamer actually think about what he is proposing,, and maybe, oh I don't know, provide some more real information defending why he CAN and SHOULD do this...
of which he has done precious little, but he, and you, apparently, are all butthurt about how mean and negative I am by not simply patting him on the back and waving goodbye as he slowly leaves the dock.
Okay, whatever...

You may not like how I deal with newbs - but that's nothing new. There's a long line of dudes that seem to be, how did you put it, "all butthurt" on that score for some reason. Bottom line is I don't really care...which should be obvious by now.

Don't pat anyone on the back. Give your advice if you feel compelled. But don't go all "Mean Girls" if someone doesn't lick your boots for it. It's a pretty simple equation really.

If you want to discuss it more, you know where you can find me...having a D&S in FC.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-18-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-18-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Getting towed in out and in by commercial outfits is going to cost.

Get a dink with a 6 hp or better and lash it alongside. about midships and you are good to go. In calm conditions there will be sufficient power to go ahead or astern. Just DO NOT RELY ON IT TO STOP YOU cos it won't. Turn the boat around in the marina using ropes if need be so you have an easy exit.

Like everybody else says you need crew, at least one other with some sailing experience.

Your scary bits are going to be getting out of the marina and in at the far end. WAIT FOR GOOD CONDITIONS. Early morning [ dawn ] is often calm or near calm move with the dink then. Anchor and wait for the wind.

You are going to be out in the Chesapeake at night, it's a while since I was there but I am not sure I would want to sail at night cos there were crab pots everywhere. If you are going to anchor where commercial traffic might hit you I would want one of these million candlepower handlamps to wave at people.

I would plan for 3 days [ food water etc ] expect to take two and have a practice hoist of your sails while moored up in the marina just to be sure there are no hitches. Also practice getting the dink lashed alongside and back into towing mode.

Extra stuff I might want.

Suitcase petrol generator for power just in case.

Towboat number on speed dial just in case.

Oh yes something to toast the moment when you tie up at the other end and wonder what all the worry was about.

Go do it and join the likes of Lynn and Larry Pardey, Joshua Slocum, Donald Street et al who voyaged without engines.
Old 03-18-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

You may not like how I deal with newbs ...

Don't pat anyone on the back. Give your advice if you feel compelled. But don't go all "Mean Girls" if someone doesn't lick your boots for it. It's a pretty simple equation really.

If you want to discuss it more, you know where you can find me...having a D&S in FC.
Who said I didn't like it?

The only person here with a dislike seems to be you, Smack. I appreciate letting me know how you really feel.

OP asked for opinions. I offered mine, even including a smiley. OP didn't like it. I defended my opinion. OP still didn't like it. Oh well.
I'm not quite sure how you got all this angst out of the advice I offered, but I don't think I have ever expected anyone to, in your words, "lick my boots" for it. I'm a big boy willing to take my lumps if people disagree with me.

As a father of two occasionally wayward adventurous teens, I hope like hell that somebody is willing to give my kids brutal advice that makes them have to defend their ideas- defense requires thought, thought requires examination, examination leads to improvement of planning. Planning leads to increased success.

"Go for it!" on the other hand leads to... the greater chance of another thread on here where we all armchair a linked news article of another boat sunk, missing or run aground.

Old 03-18-2011

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Cruxanddreams, I'll send you PM tonight or tomorrow, got to run right now.
I think I can help you with sailing. I also have many items of necessary portable equipments - lights, solar, PLB, VHF,GPS plotter, etc.
Old 03-18-2011

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
1- get liability & tow insurance

2- get good motor 4 tender

3- get 2 additional crew

4- get 4 day good weather window

Get it done and good luck.
Old 03-18-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I'll point out that CrazyRu sailed his Freedom cat/ketch up from somewhere like Houston to New York solo. There was a thread/log he kept on that trip. Where did it go? It was an interesting read that spanned about a year or so.
Houston TX to Oriental NC. How to?
NC to NYC, time to go
He would be a great resource to help you with this trip.

On the Chessy the one thing that would worry me would be running aground without an engine. Even the southern Chesapeake can be very shallow even a mile from land (I'm thinking Stingray Point here). Of course there are other ways of getting unstuck besides using the engine (back winding sails, kedging with anchor(s), heeling the boat over etc.) and you and your crew should be ready to employ all of the above when you find the bottom.
Anyway, good luck, have fun and be safe.

Everybody has one:

Old 03-18-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Depending on where and when you plan to do this, I might be interested. But even if it did not work out for me to make the trip with you, you can tie up at my dock just north of Annapolis, which should just slightly more than half way.

When I was 23 I restored a wooden folkboat and sailed her around without an engine. You sound a little like me at the time except I had been sailing for a dozen years by that point.

PM me if you are interested.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 03-18-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Do your Last Will and Testament soonest. Get that insurance.

Have fun!!!
Old 03-18-2011

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
Crux
Get an outboard for your dinghy that is basically capable of aiding the movement in your boat.
Pick up either a few panels to recharge your batterys or a small cheap genset.
make sure you have the right charts and pre plan the trip and have it written out in a proper sail plan.
make sure you have atleast two others on board with sailing experience. Im not saying they need to have decades but are comfy with the plan and are capable of executing the contigencies to prevent injury.
no booze during the trip period, break it open at the end dock when she's tied up.
make sure you have two people at the dock waiting for you to come in so they will aid you.
pack double the water and food needed incase of a few blows days.
double check nav lights and vhf's plotter.

once you have the sail plan, the crew, the destination hands and dink with motor and secondary onboard power are you ready to do this.

to attempt this with out the above minimums is just silly. A good captn knows the requirements and the responsibility of ANY injury to your crew another boat is totally on you.
fwiw
Bill