Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
80 mile move with no motor????

I just got a boat that does no have a working motor, that I need to get up toward Baltimore/ Annapolis from about 70-80 miles south. she's a heavy, slow vessel that I have never sailed. She is a ketch, and I am a novice sailor. wondering what kind of ideas you "experts" can come up with to get my girl to make the trip in one piece. I was thinking about getting a tow out into the chessy, and try to sail her up, then find another tow in to port...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
not a problem, just might be a slow trip. although this is the perfect time of year for it, the winds are still good and the days are not bad with no storms normally. just cold at night, do it with the right gear and do it in one shot, should just be one over night.

it might be done in one day are three. where in baltimore are you going as getting out is easy getting in can be much worse?
Old 03-17-2011

GBurton is on a distinguished road
If you are a novice I would suggest getting an experienced guy to go along at the very least... I wouldn't attempt it without a working motor personally.
Old 03-17-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Three posts in and nobody has lobbed a Pardy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2011
young salt

yea I Feel decent about sailing her in the day time, But I would really like to have an Experienced sailor that has sailed ketches accompany me! If any of you guys would like to make the trip with a 21year old that really loves sailing Please let me know. I promise I’m not your average 21 year old. Would be willing to help you with your boat if you can help me with mine. I am quite capable when it comes to boat work, and have helped many sailors down in Florida with their projects, and love working on boats. I also would like to know of your opinions on a good marina to put her on the hard in the Baltimore/Annapolis area that doesn’t mind me doing work there. If any one out there would be able to tow me in once I get there, I would greatly appreciate it as well, and will be willing to do much in return!
Old 03-17-2011
young salt

Pardey, I have all his books, and the same dinghy!!
Old 03-17-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Don't know your area but one thing I would be concerned
about would be being run down by commercial trafic if you
lose your wind.

Dabnis
Old 03-17-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruxandreams View Post
Pardey, I have all his books, and the same dinghy!!
Great Neptune's nads, you are a disciple. With an engine, a novice sailor is only an occasional temporary hazard- without auxiliary power you should be marked on every chart and your mugshot posted in every marina, boatyard, SeaTow office and Coastie wardroom. Fix the engine, take the trip. If you can't fix the engine and can't afford to replace it then you shouldn't have bought the boat. (Here's a smiley to take away the sting: )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
which marina is a loaded question, where do you live? as it makes a big difference as what works for you. south side of the patapsco river is white rocks, cheaper lets you work on your own boat but the owner goes thru moods. north side is many but old bay is cheap and lets you do the work. both are easy to get into but both are cheaper places with the draw back of being cheaper.

check your PM's
Old 03-17-2011
young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Great Neptune's nads, you are a disciple. With an engine, a novice sailor is only an occasional temporary hazard- without auxiliary power you should be marked on every chart and your mugshot posted in every marina, boatyard, SeaTow office and Coastie wardroom. Fix the engine, take the trip. If you can't fix the engine and can't afford to replace it then you shouldn't have bought the boat. (Here's a smiley to take away the sting: )
I sailed my friends 42' cement double keeled "no motor "Im talkin SSSSSLLOOOOWWWWW boat from Stuart Florida to near miami, "outside", which let me tell you was quite the Ordeal! Mind you it was at the absolute calmest time of the year with south winds at 0-15 knots with gales we could ride a couple times a day. I can sail, but an experianced helping hand would be quite ideal obviously. This is the bay and not the ocean, however I move "not sail" another friends 39 allied mistress through the Chesapeake north to south. No motor sucks, but can be done, all working nav lights with gps plus chart should keep us safe from traffic.