SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Where's the Dog

8K views 48 replies 37 participants last post by  Joesaila 
#1 ·
I guess by now a lot of members would have noticed that the Dog is MIA.

I also guess that it is the result of a fracas between him and other members about his attitude on the board along with some intervention from the mods.

Whilst I have to acknowledge that SD and I had our differences, there is no doubt that he was a wonderful resource especially for the people who, ironically, he was most ascerbic with, the newcomers.

The extent of his contribution (even though I often thought a lot of it was recently acquired (the wonders of Google) will be missed. I used to be able to post stuff that I needed to know and I could depend on SD to do the research and come up with the goods.

Now I have do my own research:(

#4 ·
after more than a little careful thinking i've decided not to comment except to say everyone here has varying levels of sailing experince and no one should ever be ridiculed for asking [to them] a serious question,really this forum should be mostly for the benefit of the novice and newbies

#5 ·
He has employed the "I'm taking my ball and going home" tactic.

I have routinely acknowledged his wealth of knowledge, and referred several new people to his boat buying checklist in an attempt to be civil.

It's a shame that he can't share his knowledge without couching it in all of the subtle insults and contempt. I honestly couldn't tell if perhaps he is just weary of the repetitive nature of newbies' questions, or if he's just a natural bully who gets off on snarking at people and then putting on that "Who me?" face.

Well, the sailing world functioned for hundreds of years before the Dog, and it'll keep sailing after him too.

#25 ·
It's a shame that he can't share his knowledge without couching it in all of the subtle insults and contempt. I honestly couldn't tell if perhaps he is just weary of the repetitive nature of newbies' questions, or if he's just a natural bully who gets off on snarking at people and then putting on that "Who me?" face.
I can't speak to any of these directly, except to say that after reading a few of the Dog's posts, I knew my questions and comments would not be appreciated or welcomed, and probably ridiculed. That's not why I came to the forum, but in many forums like this one that's the unfortunate price you pay for being new and inexperienced.

Now, I just lurk and read occasionally, and hope someone else asks the question or questions I have in mind -- then they can get slammed for not knowing the answer already!

#7 ·
Wow. Makes me wonder what you guys really think of me that you won't say out loud until I go on vacation. ;)

:D :D :D :D

The simple fact that this thread exists show that he is missed.

I remember that there was a thread (a big one) thanking SailingDog for his contributions to this forum. Regarding his character I would say he is a barking dog;) but barking dogs seldom bite.:)

#8 ·
Did someone let the 'Dog out?

I have to admit that I didn't notice... I have been busy with my own boat work, and hope that 'Dog has been too.

Last fall I met 'Dog at my boat, and he was a great help to me! A couple of weeks ago he asked me if I had been working at my boat, and I took that as an offer from him to return, and do more... I have also offered to help him, though I wonder how much value that I could provide.

Every year this forum seems to go a little stir crazy as winter in the northern hemisphere winds down, and we all get excited about putting our boats back in the water. Some people get sensitive, and others get tired of answering the same questions, over, and over again.

SD is one of the most senior dogs around here, and he has answered MORE than his fair share of questions. Maine Sail is another. They are not moderators, and are under no obligation to help any of us out. I suggest that you not look a gift horse in the mouth. I think that the forum owes them our appreciation, and if necessary, some degree of indulgence (though I have not seen the posts that others seem offended by).

May I suggest that if any of you infer's frustration or disrespect from another in this forum, that you take advantage of the forum's "ignore" function.

#10 ·
I have to admit that I didn't notice... I have been busy with my own boat work, and hope that 'Dog has been too.

Last fall I met 'Dog at my boat, and he was a great help to me! A couple of weeks ago he asked me if I had been working at my boat, and I took that as an offer from him to return, and do more... I have also offered to help him, though I wonder how much value that I could provide.

Every year this forum seems to go a little stir crazy as winter in the northern hemisphere winds down, and we all get excited about putting our boats back in the water. Some people get sensitive, and others get tired of answering the same questions, over, and over again.

SD is one of the most senior dogs around here, and he has answered MORE than his fair share of questions. Maine Sail is another. They are not moderators, and are under no obligation to help any of us out. I suggest that you not look a gift horse in the mouth. I think that the forum owes them our appreciation, and if necessary, some degree of indulgence (though I have not seen the posts that others seem offended by).

May I suggest that if any of you infer's frustration or disrespect from another in this forum, that you take advantage of the forum's "ignore" function.
I second your sentiment. I see Dog as a great resource and hope he is just on a hiatus working to get his boat ready for launch or something.

Hope to have you back Dog, us Massholes have to stick together.

JK

#11 ·
Could be that he went sailing. Some people do that from time to time.

#15 ·
I sent him a pm with specific questions about ICW and OpenCPN and he was very helpful! I do, however, see where the directness of his responses could be taken the wrong way. I look at it this way, we are all adults, I think, this is the internet take it all with a grain of salt. Don't like a post or thread... don't read or post in it. If someone posts something you don't like so be it, who cares move on to more useful info or postings... beside we should all be out getting our boat ready anyway!:D

#24 ·
SD has a great influence on me. He influences me to do as much research as I can before asking a question, lest I be hauled across his three keels.

FWIW...

#18 ·
I heard there was a week long Korean BBQ going on in Boston that he was hosting. You guys did not get the email?
Seriously though, the guy obviously needs a bread from here as I have in the past and will likely need in the future. He11, after 35,000+ posts here he is probably a bit starved for a real life instead of a cyber life, plus, he has a boat to get ready for the water or he may be on a delivery.
In any case, he can have the summer off to enjoy himself as far as I am concerned. I may try to take the summer off from SN myself but we will see...

#19 ·
It would help if you gave us the date and time that he disappeared so that we could have a snowball's chance of helping to find him!!!!! Oh, and bite me! :)) Was that a good imitation of SD?
It's kind of a right of passage to get a new one ripped by SD here. After that you start to realize that the guy knows what he's talking about and helps more people on this forum than possibly everyone else combined. I hope he isn't gone for good, he would be sorely missed. I wasn't aware of an altercation.

#20 ·
Saildog has had many good insightfull comments...He has taken me to task whenever I have not thought things through thoroughly...but I never found his comments to be of a personal nature.

Lots of people on here get thin skinned if only for an instant. Opinions from people on here should be taken with a large salt lick as there are many self professed know it alls and people who really dont know any better . We are after all the sum total of all of our experiences and that doesnt qualify anyone on here as an expert in anything...including sailing and boats.

I surely hope he has only taken a temporary hiatus away from the hounds and denizens of Sailnet.

BTW he has always been a gentleman and quite helpful to me.

Dave

#22 ·
nice to newbee's

I miss the dog. I hope the dog comes back. I think we've all been guilty sometimes of being short with newbees.

Of course, there are some cases when being nice may not be warranted. For example, I don't think you'd have to be nice to the following hypothetical poster;) :

______

Hi, first post here. I'm planning a circumnavigation. My dad is completely supporting the venture, and bought me an Optimist Dingy to make the try. I plan on a southern ocean passage. I'll be carrying an EPIRB so if something goes wrong, I know that many governments will spend huge amounts of money coming to find me. I've soldered all the house wiring together so I know it won't short out in heavy seas. I plan on boiling cans of food without opening the cans on my gas grill, and leaving a trail of empty 1 pound gas bottles behind me like bread crumbs. I'm leaving the paper charts behind, because they blew out of the boat last time we did a club race, and they got all wet, I'll be navigating strictly with my Iphone in a baggie. This will also serve as my primary communications device. I'm carrying extra ground tackle, and an innovative/proprietary 40 lb anchor with about 1 mile of all chain rode incase I decide to anchor at cape horn. I've had the spar shop fabricate a custom carbon mast that they say cannot be destroyed by lightning. I have no experience sailing beyond lessons at the yacht club (think that's enough?), but I've completed 2 of these and my instructor says I'm good to go. Any advice? Oh, and does this qualify as a BFS??

Seriously, I promise to be nice to newbees. Sailing is fun, and so isn't this web site. Without it, don't know how I make it though a New England winter.

#28 ·
I noticed that 'Dog is also AWOL from AS... So, it's not just SailNet.

I hope he's OK... and doing a delivery in the Bahamas!

#29 ·
With all the "personality" this board has and all that you might think you have to put up with, it is one of the best that I have been a member of. There is another forum that I will not name, but I guess it is more of a Cruiser's forum. There is a group on there that will attack you personally if you disagree.

I remember posting something about having guns on board, and after several replies I mentioned that I thought it might be a good idea a times. An anti-gun person, one of the tight group, started taunting me and ultimately made the statement "watch out for tomperanteau, he has a gun and will use it". I asked the mods to please remove it because it slandered my name, but they refused.

A letter from our attorney to the company that owned the system did the trick, but they then banished me. To banish me for protecting my name as opposed to banishing the person that slandered me was a strange approach, but I would not have returned there anyway. Too many arrogant a$$holes on that forum.

This forum seems to be MUCH friendlier, and even with the Dogs, whom I also appreciate, it is vastly more tolerable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.