Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011

badsanta is on a distinguished road
USCG Documentation

Recent experience, My yearly Documentation renewal normally takes a few weeks. This year I changed my address and hailing port in October and just received it today March 19 2011. I called several months ago and was told they are a little short handed and to be sure to not use the boat till I had received the documentation. I was on the hard all winter and I was not using the boat anyway. Just an FYI for others as I could have lost 4 months sailing.
Old 03-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I've always understood that keeping a copy of the application/renewal aboard would suffice while you waited.

If you changed your hailport, I would leave the old one on the transom until I received the new paperwork.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2011

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by badsanta View Post
Recent experience, My yearly Documentation renewal normally takes a few weeks. This year I changed my address and hailing port in October and just received it today March 19 2011. I called several months ago and was told they are a little short handed and to be sure to not use the boat till I had received the documentation. I was on the hard all winter and I was not using the boat anyway. Just an FYI for others as I could have lost 4 months sailing.
I half believe the guy was pulling your rode. What is the fine for operating while awaiting paperwork from the government?
Old 03-20-2011

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I'm sure you are right, I was just repeating what was said to me. Just passing on some info.
Old 03-21-2011

ronbo1 is on a distinguished road
There has been a backlog at the Documentation Center of several months for new and reissue documentation.
The website noonsite.com had some information on it.

The Documentation Center released conflicting information as to whether there is or isn't a delay. As far as a manpower shortage, it's not like a lot of boats are being bought or sold during this marine recession and the fact that its winter.

Does the delay have anything to do with the questionable registrations of 200,000 general aviation aircraft - someone finally checking at Homeland?

Last edited by ronbo1; 03-31-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-29-2011

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
I received a letter from at local "Documentation" Corporation today. When I get the renewal Certificate, it doesn't cost a dime. This company wants $ 50.00, to do what a 44 cent stamp does!!
Old 03-30-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor50 View Post
I received a letter from at local "Documentation" Corporation today. When I get the renewal Certificate, it doesn't cost a dime. This company wants $ 50.00, to do what a 44 cent stamp does!!
Just like paying a handler to walk you through customs. Only necessary in developed countries, if you have no idea what you are doing. Corrupt undeveloped countries are a different matter.

disclaimer: 10 to 1, my experience clearing foreign customs is with private aircraft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-30-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
I wanted to do a change on my Documentation and called them on Monday they are so backed up there doing January papers and said i could expect at least two months or more

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-30-2011
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
I had a similar experience. I mailed in the Documentation paperwork on November 4, 2010, and received the papers March 7, 2011! That's 4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
What is the fine for operating while awaiting paperwork from the government?
Per the documentation papers, $10K per day!

A "friend" was advised by his broker that as long as he kept a copy of the Documentation application on board the vessel, he would be OK if he was spot inspected. He used this assurance provide the moral fortitude to enable him to move his vessel shortly after he purchased it... Fortunately, he was not stopped and, therefore, did not test this theory.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 03-30-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Is your vessel also registered with VA? I live in NY. My boat is documented with the CG and registered with NY. If the CG was giving me a hard time I would just skip the documentation part. It's not like you need to have your boat documented (unless you plan on traveling out of the country or use it as a business).

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY