Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011

eSailor is on a distinguished road
need advice on financing a boat

Looking to spend in the $20k-$30k range. Any insight and advice on financing a boat is greatly appreciated. I will have 20% or so to put down.

Any suggestions on decent companies to use? Recommendation on loan lenght, etc.....

Also, is it foolish to take the funds out of a home equity loan to buy a boat? I really do not like putting my house on the line just in case something happens and I can no longer make payments.

Thanks,
Matt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The interest on home equity loans is typically tax deductible. The interest on a boat loan can be deductible if the boat qualifies as a second home (and you don't already have two homes). I think that requires a bed, head and galley, all installed permanently. A cooler, camp stove and port potty don't count.

If you use the home equity loan, just be sure you perform all the due diligence that a marine lender would if they were lending you the money: title searches, proper filing of new title/registration, notorized bill of sale, insurance, survey, escrow to hold deposit, etc.

Where are you and/or the boat located? There may be some recommendations on who to use. Maritime lending is a specialty. Unfortunately, I think small loan amounts are hard to get. Too much work for the lender to make money on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-20-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
I am in the Boston area and we used Sterling Associates. Chris was great, a big help during the whole process.

I think the biggest issue you will have is the amount you want to borrow is too small. From what I can tell, most finance companies are hesitant in anything under $50K. This article from Cruising World has some good info when we were trying to buy our boat.

With the "small" dollars you are looking at, the home equity may be the way to go.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 03-20-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
A few years ago I used Key Bank to finance our previous boat at $32k. I also could have used home equity but I chose not to risk our house should something bad happen. We deducted our normal mortgage interest and also the boat loan interest as it qualified as a second home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 03-20-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2011

I live PA and will keep the boat in Maryland.
Old 03-20-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
you might be better with a unsecured bank loan, with the boat listed as the reason for the loan. basicly making it a semi secured loan ( i know they dont exist named that ).

if you have the home equity, you could buy it that way too. then you dont risk the boat, even if you loose the house you still have the boat.
Old 03-20-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
if you have the home equity, you could buy it that way too. then you dont risk the boat, even if you loose the house you still have the boat.
And live on the boat if you had too....

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 03-20-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
yup thats the idea
Old 03-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
well, my wife, daughter,2 dogs, and 8 horses would not appreciate that very much. I would rather keep the house and lose the boat.
Old 03-20-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
A boat that price is probably fully depreciated...as there aren't many NEW sailboats that would be in the $20-30k range. Home equity would likely be the ONLY way to go. As for if anything happens...well, since the boat is fully depreciated, sell it and pay off the equity. You'll likely break even after all the tax deductions you'll be able to take.