Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Yes! And I've been very busy since, starting in on my ever growing "to do" list.

I spent the weekend cleaning and moving in. I've managed to get about 2/3 of her cleaned up to my standards...have the galley, head and V berth left to clean. I brought all the cushions home and laundered them...came out very well...just have to Scotch Guard them and take them back to the boat.

I probably have 2 more full days of cleaning and tinkering to get her to a point where I can start spending the weekend aboard....I'm pretty picky about cleanliness...then I can sail, play and work on her as I go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2011

montenido is on a distinguished road
Joe,

Congratulations, what a beautiful boat! Now the fun begins... Just be sure to fit some sailing time in between projects, because the project list never goes away.

Enjoy!

Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 03-29-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

Thanks!

That is the plan. This first wave of work is purely to get her up to my standards. She's ready to sail as is, but any boat at this price point has alot of work to be done.

First up is spring cleaning. Gotta get all the mildew, dust, spiders and junk gone. The cleaner I'm using, Lysol with Clorox, is absolutely amazing on mildew....just spray it on and the mildew disappears! I did all of the surfaces from the aft berth forward, including the cabin roof....took off the decorative rails and cleaned under them before reinstalling. Cleaned out the port locker too and that was a chore! All I have left to clean is the galley, head and V berth. I laundered all the cushions, so they're fresh and clean....and the aft berth (my bedroom) is as clean as new. I'm cleaning every square inch of her. I doubt she's ever been cleaned this well.

Next up is the DC power system. The existing battery is a car type, so I'm going to replace it with nice marine deep cycles and install a charger/maintainer hard wired into the system. The cabin light fixtures and nav lights work, but they're old and in bad shape, so they'll all get replaced.

I'm going to remove the Princess curtain burner and convert the space to dry storage, using my Coleman 2 burner camp stove until I buy an Origo non-pressurized stove...and I do know about the use of the propane canisters. I've read many threads on it here and other forums so I'm aware of the risks and protocols to use it.

The head needs a rebuild, but I'm just gonna buy a whole new unit. I can get a brand new Jabsco complete for $179....swap it out and should be good.

So, after this, which should take a couple weeks since I have to work during the day, I should have her to a place where I can spend the weekend away from the marina and use her as I intended to when I bought her. I'll have a clean boat with a functional galley and head, DC system with cabin lights and nav lights. I'll be able to sail and enjoy her, saving the other projects (like teak refinishing) to do as I have time.

It's gonna be alot of work, but it's a labor of love to bring her back and to make her mine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Old 03-29-2011

montenido is on a distinguished road
Joe, you sound like a happy camper, er, boater! One of the biggest advantages to doing all these projects yourself (besides getting the boat squared away) is that you will know that everything works and how it all goes together.

My first boat needed lots of work. I learned all about the various systems as I tackled each project. When future problems arise, you will know how to correct them without losing any sailing time.

Good luck Joe,

Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 03-29-2011

snowdawg is on a distinguished road
Nice very Nice Congrats
Old 03-29-2011

UPHILL is on a distinguished road
Looking good joe. Cool your are floating.

That port locker is some kind of a cave, huh.

Congrats

JD
Catalina 25 1984 #4558 Swing Keel, Tall Rig
Sailing Payette Lake, Central Idaho USA
------------------------------------------------------

Old 03-29-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

Yes, I'm getting to put my hands on every square inch of her! I'll know her intimately and every system, wire and line.

I bought Don Casey's Complete Sailboat Maintenance Manual a month ago and used it for my initial inspections....now this little gem is my guide to everything else. I think every sailboat should come with this book.

Yeah, that port locker is DEEP! The guys over on the Cat25 Association forum call it "the dumpster" and they even talk about going down inside that thing to do work!!! Not me...I aint going down there....I'll pay someone else to do it. I'm 6'3" and 250# so my big ass would have some issue just getting in there, not to mention the fact I'm mildly claustrophobic...so not going in there.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.