Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011

MtHopeBay is on a distinguished road
Just took ownership of our 2nd boat

We just bought a Catalina 27. I believe it's hull 1071, a 1974 model. We bought from someone we know, a fellow yacht club member reducing the number of boats they have to take care of. I'm extatic to move up a little bit in size from our Balboa 24 and well pleased with the condition of the boat. It's an outboard model which has its plusses and minuses and we'll put our 15 HP Honda on it if it will fit.

We tried to sail yesterday but got rain and no wind. The current was wicked too. I'm sure I'll have no issue with how she'll sail anyway. The Catalina 27 is a well known boat.

I looked at joining the C27/270.org group but they wanted money. What's up with that? I think I can get all the help and advice I need right here.
Mike
Old 03-21-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHopeBay View Post
We just bought a Catalina 27. I believe it's hull 1071, a 1974 model. We bought from someone we know, a fellow yacht club member reducing the number of boats they have to take care of. I'm extatic to move up a little bit in size from our Balboa 24 and well pleased with the condition of the boat. It's an outboard model which has its plusses and minuses and we'll put our 15 HP Honda on it if it will fit.

We tried to sail yesterday but got rain and no wind. The current was wicked too. I'm sure I'll have no issue with how she'll sail anyway. The Catalina 27 is a well known boat.

I looked at joining the C27/270.org group but they wanted money. What's up with that? I think I can get all the help and advice I need right here.
Mike
Well, I can't vouch for the C27 group, but you should find out what they offer for that membership fee. I know it will include the quarterly Mainsheet Magazine which has articles from the various Catalina Fleets with all sorts of maintenance and upgrade articles. For my 3 year membership in the C36 organization I got a CD that includes manuals for the boat, engine and many common systems on the boat along with many years of the articles from Mainsheet.

There is a ton of boat specific stuff I get from the C36IA, but you are correct that you can get a ton of great advice here at Sailnet, sometimes even from folks that own the same model boat.

BTW congrats on the new boat, and I'm jealous that you've already got sailing weather where you are.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your new boat. We recently got a new to us Alberg 30, great feeling! They too have an assoc group that wants money to be a member. I would like to be part but I will not pay money to belong to a group. Good Luck and hope you get her out soon for a sail. We are trying to head out for a daysail this week

Take Care
Old 03-21-2011

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
Congratulations on your new boat.May you have many joyous years with her. Where's the pics?
Old 03-21-2011

MtHopeBay is on a distinguished road
I'll post some pics when I have some of us sailing her. Otherwise she's a C27: they all look the same. I think ours is called a "standard layout" with the fold-up table and settee/berth on either side, galley forward port side.

We start our "Frostbite" series of informal sails after first of the year every other week. We had a pretty good run of luck regarding the weather until this weekend.
Old 03-22-2011

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHopeBay View Post
Mike
I belong to the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Assoc. Its $40 per year. Its well worth it as you get a lot of specific info for your boat from other owners. There are expenses associated with running an organization and website. Where do you think the money comes from? How much were they looking for?
Old 03-22-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the new boat! During my ongoing search for a sailboat, I've looked at C25 and C27, hoping to get a C27 in my price range but not having any luck. Yeah, they all look basically the same, but post pics of YOUR boat anyway...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas